When tuning my bass guitar while not hooked up to an amp this morning, I heard a really bad buzzing while playing opens, especially on the A & D strings (I have a 5 string). I raised my action way up, and it didn't stop on my D string until I raised the action so high that you can actually see it sitting higher than the other strings.

It's not uncomfortable to play like that, but I was wondering if you, the wise ones of our forum might have any other suggestions for me, especially since I'm playing in a worship band on Thursday night.
Quote by aaciseric
But wouldn't all that be worth it to ride a zebra around campus? Perhaps dressed in chainmail? Maybe with a plastic sword and a wench who may or may not just be a prostitute?

Last edited by kstar22bassist at Sep 16, 2009,
something has probably worked it's way loose, check over your bass it'll probably be at the bridge or the headstock. It won't affect your playing when amplified so there's no real cause for concern, you should be able to play in your worship group without any problem
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I don't know how the gauges of strings work (I assume smaller gauge is smaller string thickness) but would having a smaller gauge string be the problem maybe?
Quote by aaciseric
But wouldn't all that be worth it to ride a zebra around campus? Perhaps dressed in chainmail? Maybe with a plastic sword and a wench who may or may not just be a prostitute?

If you went from a heavier gauge to a lighter gauge without adjusting the truss rod your neck would bend back more causing the strings to vibrate against the frets. try taking it in for a full setup and see how she turns out.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
See, I'm not sure how to adjust the truss rod, it's a Rogue (piece of crap) 5 string though...

EDIT: and you're welcome CC
Quote by aaciseric

Last edited by kstar22bassist at Sep 16, 2009,
There should be a small piece of plastic screwed to the headstock. Unscrew that and follow these instructions http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/adjusting_neck_relief.html
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.