I have just received an electric guitar from a friend and need an amp. I have not got the first clue what kind of amp or what type i need or want.
Does anyone know an amp (with a link) that is great for beginners? i just want one that i can practice on. As cheap as possible because i'll buy a better amp when i become a better guitar player

Thanks a billion

swood91

EDIT: I've heard you can buy personal amps or something like that that can costs little as £15.. or something like that lol. thats the sort of price i'm looking for.
Last edited by swood91 at Sep 15, 2009,
The stock suggestions are Peavey Vypyr, Vox VT15, and Roland Cubes. Any of those should do ya right for now.
Although that may be a good quality amp i'm looking for something a lot lower in price. Around £30

Thanks anyway
Ok, you're actually just talking about the little toy mini amps for that price range.
Here's a couple

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Mini-Deluxe-Amp?sku=480704

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MS2-Mini-Amp?sku=482812

These are pretty cool too, it doesn't have a speaker, it's made for headphones.
But if you have some computer speakers or something, you could plug them into this..

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Amplug-Classic-Rock-Headphone-Amp?sku=481677

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by swood91
Although that may be a good quality amp i'm looking for something a lot lower in price. Around £30

Thanks anyway

They exist. But there's nothing worth having at that price man.

Guitars are an expensive interest to have I'm afraid.

EDIT: Forgot about the Amplug. Yeah, those are pretty neat and worth looking into.
Yeah my friend says there even ones that strap to your waste.

I understand where your coming from but i don't want to spend that amount of money and then not learn to play guitar. Obviously i really do want to learn but i've been told stories about really eager people giving up within months or even weeks
I understand where you're coming from too - I had the same concern for a while when I started. Fortunately, my brother already played, so I just used his shit for a while.

Consider this, too. I don't know how much those go for across the pond, but IIRC Voxes tend to be cheaper over there.
Maybe just get an acoustic?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Maybe just get an acoustic?

No i definitely want to play electric... Maybe i should just fork out the money
Quote by swood91
No i definitely want to play electric... Maybe i should just fork out the money

No, I think you're on the right track.

If I understand right, you got your electric free as a gift?
so you've shelled out 0$$ so far..

If you want to make sure you can play before making big investment, the little mini amps are fine..

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
No, I think you're on the right track.

If I understand right, you got your electric free as a gift?
so you've shelled out 0$$ so far..

If you want to make sure you can play before making big investment, the little mini amps are fine..

Thats exactly what i was thinking, but i couldn't find them anywhere. Checked loads of sites but i don't really have a clue what to search for to be honest which doesn't help. Is there a special name for these mini-amps?
Did you not see my first post??

I listed 2 miniamps and 1 headphone amp at MusiciansFriend.Com

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
Did you not see my first post??

I listed 2 miniamps and 1 headphone amp at MusiciansFriend.Com

Sorry i completely missed that post