Poll: Is an internship in your field of interest the best way to spend your summer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is an internship in your field of interest the best way to spend your summer?
Agree
15 58%
Disagree
11 42%
Voters: 26.
Summer internships in your field of interest, even without pay, are the best use of your summer time because they speed up your education and training for a career

Agree?
Disagree?
Express yourself
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
I don't know what that means, but as it happens "turtle" is a fittingly awesome word to describe an awesome animal.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
It's called a summer holiday for a reason ya know. Have fun with friends and shizzle.

Considering the amount of people jobless these days, if your CV isn't stellar, you're pretty fucked. Besides, summer hols are 2 bloody months long, and you're not going to have them forever. Get used to shorter ones.
The best way to spend your summer is to fortify your house with cardboard boxes. Make walls and tourets and a drawbridge and moat wouldn't hurt either. Fact.

Cannons might be a step too far.
I always party for a few weeks, then rest a week, and then well.. try to get into my normal rhythm again.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by webbtje
Considering the amount of people jobless these days, if your CV isn't stellar, you're pretty fucked. Besides, summer hols are 2 bloody months long, and you're not going to have them forever. Get used to shorter ones.

I can see what you mean, but if you're having summer holidays then it probably means you're still be at school/college/uni so you're already being trained for the future.
How many people do you know, including yourself, that complain about taking pointless classes [that they'll never use in the "real world"].
I thinking taking an internship is almost like a slingshot ahead of all that, if your going to specialize in something, which most people due.

Example- most of us on UG, want to be professional musicians and that's it. I know for me, right now I could care less about college, I just want to pursue my musical career, I wish I had been active in the musical community during high school, I feel I would be closer to reaching my goal
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
I can see what you mean, but if you're having summer holidays then it probably means you're still be at school/college/uni so you're already being trained for the future.

Even as a law student, if I can't show that I'm keen, then I have no prospects. No two ways around it.

Adult life. Get used to it.
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel

It could help your education, therefore getting you better grades and helping further on in life. When you get to collage you really should be working summer holidays anyway so an internship wouldn't be a bad idea. I worked my holidays after my GCSEs because I need the money and it is so much better than sitting around at home doing nothing or standing around Tesco. Once you start working full time you do grow up a lot, which wouldn't be a bad thing for a lot of people
Last edited by Shabalaba at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by webbtje

Alternatively, since you're not going to have such long holidays forever you should make most of the free time you get. And by make most I mean partay!
Quote by frankv
Alternatively, since you're not going to have such long holidays forever you should make most of the free time you get. And by make most I mean partay!

I'm going to have a 40 year long holiday if I don't sacrifice a few now