Page 1 of 2
Looking for a new axe. I play all sorts of old rock. I like Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa, Guthrie Govan etc. Quite a bit of blues, and I play guitar in a covers band playing some poppier stuff (Fleetwood Mac, Beatles etc).

My main guitar is a Tokai lS150. Don't know if I got particularly lucky, but it's incredible. I want something that will be very easy and enjoyable to play, be fairly versatile, and have an incredible lead tone. Still not sure if I want a whammy. I prefer the sound of a fixed bridge guitar, but then again, I don't have any guitars with a trem.
Also, I don't play a line 6 spider, I play a Hiwatt studio stage head and 2x12 fane loaded cab.

Been looking at a few custom builders, Suhr, Vigier, Tom Anderson, PRS (although I haven't played one that sounded as good as my Tokai), some discontinued Guild electrics, Hamer, some high end Washburns, ESP horizon etc. I'm not after another Les Paul type, but I do like a warm, vintagey lead tone, and am not paying that much money for an ugly guitar (Parker fly etc).

Throw some ideas at me, and any personal experiences would be great.

Cheers.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Holy crap, is that seriously your budget? 2500? is that pounds or euros?
Either way, holy crap!!! Taht's at least $3500 USD

For that kind of $$$, I recommend the Ernie Ball Music Man 25th Anneversary. SWEET as HE** !!

http://music-man.com/instruments/guitars/25th-anniversary.html

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Music-Man-25th-Anniversary-Electric-Guitar?sku=581872

For all those who love the feel of a Strat, but prefer the tone of an LP, this is as close as you will ever get (from a stock instrument with no mods)...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 15, 2009,
It looks pretty nice... I was also looking at a musicman Luke, but I can't stand active pickups.
The problem with looking at high end gear is that there's so much choice. I can only afford to do this once, so I want to get something amazing, that'll be a keeper for life.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Suhr or Tom Andereson super strat with a HSS and a 2 point trem Well that's what makes me happy in the pants anyway...
Admittedly I've not played a j custom, but I've played a js1200, a pgm 301 and a Jem 7v, and they all left me cold. I'm sure they're fine guitars, but at this price point, I really want to try them out, and I've never seen a J custom in person.

Cheers anyway.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

If you have that much to play with, get one custom built to your exact liking/specs.
404: Sig not found.
I've been looking at that... but then you have no exact way of knowing how the guitar's going to be. Materials are only half of what goes into a guitar... it's the alchemy in between that makes it.
I had an OLP mm1, which kicked arse, and cost me £90. The materials were crap, and the cost of production was very low, but it came to more than the sum of it's parts.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Quote by jimbob78
Admittedly I've not played a j custom, but I've played a js1200, a pgm 301 and a Jem 7v, and they all left me cold. I'm sure they're fine guitars, but at this price point, I really want to try them out, and I've never seen a J custom in person.

Cheers anyway.

love them guitars that`s why i got them

musicman jp and a suhr (played a couple but not familiar with their catalogue), road worn fender (sooner have a genuine relic though), dave gilmour sig strat.

i had this problem 15 months ago (more spending power though) you really need to go round as many shops as you can and play everything i spent a week and a 1/2 for 8 hours a day in about 10 stores before i shown the cash to any dealer.....racked up some serious miles aswell.
get 25 squire bullets
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Ernie Ball MusicMan Axis for sure. AWESOME guitars.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Wow, Suhr, Vigier, Tom Anderson... I'd love to have those choices. Looked at Caparison? Caparison Angelus is a PRS killer if I ever saw one.
I've had my Suhr for about 2 1/2 weeks now, and I still love it as much as I did the moment I got it... well a little more actually

Wholly reccomend trying a few out, because if thats the kind of Guitar you want they are outstanding - very versatile as well.

Vigier also have a good reputation - I'd try them, but I'm afraid I can't speak on personal experience with those.
However I would say I'd avoid the Musicman... I've always found their tops look a bit cheap or flat (especially the quilt, it lacks that 3d quality good quilt has) which you shouldn't get when your spending that much.
With that much I think I'd pay Tim Ellis a visit, try out a few of his builds and talk to him about class. www.tcellisguitars.com

Then again there's always http://www.whitstableguitars.co.uk/1977packleader.htm and that cash may tempt it away from him. Definitely 'special'.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Suhr, Anderson or Tyler man. Vigier is imo not top notch. Great guitars, but not at the top. More in the ESP-league.
If you want a warm and vintage sounding guitar, you might like Tyler the most. Also check the dutch custom stratocaster builder Haar (Haar guitars). I swear, these are alot nicer than Fender Custom shops.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Maybe a PRS?
Those ESPs are nice but the quilted veneer tops would look much better stained than painted IMO.
+1 on tyler, as LP_CL suggested. But you have an absolute load of options, and looking at customs builders (as you've already been doing) is bound to be worth considering, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get Ormsby to build you a guitar . I'd definitely have him build me one if I had that sort of cash. He'll do anything you want and build it however you want for your price range.
Been looking at the musicman 25th anniversary, but it costs £1000 more in the UK than it does in the states.... which is ridiculous.
Also, been very interested in the Suhr standard and modern.

This is proving difficult....
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Quote by jimbob78
Been looking at the musicman 25th anniversary, but it costs £1000 more in the UK than it does in the states.... which is ridiculous.

Only way to settle this is to try them out - there are a few suhr dealers, one in essex (at least, I think there was when I was looking for them... but no lefties for me) so go and play and see if you like them + do the same with the other guitars on your list.
Quote by jimbob78

yeah, unfortunately not alot you can do about the extra cost in UK.
Here's a thread about it at Ernie Ball forums.
The guy in the thread named Big Poppa is Sterling Ball himself (Ernie's son).
He explains why it's so much more expensive there.

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-guitars/38880-why-ernie-ball-music-man-guitars-so-expensive-europe.html

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Try a Vigier for sure - some of the finest hand crafted guitars available at the moment. If you want a versitle fixed bridge guitar try the new G.V. (see review in Guitarist magazine - August), this model has to be the very best Vigier have crafted and they are just arriving in the UK now.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A little update: I went to PMT and digital village earlier to try out a few. Digital village wouldn't let me try out any PRS models because I didn't intend to buy one today . I tried a custom 24 in PMT, through a dsl401 (Meh). It had a lovely sound in the bridge pickup, and the inbetween coil tapped positions were pretty warm too (quite Knopflery).
However, I just didn't like the feel of it. For what's meant to be a versatile rock guitar, it had no flow. Legato lines didn't come naturally, and although the guitar had quite a lot of sustain, it didn't work for smooth leads with any speed to them. I don't think this was just the setup, the guitar just gave off that vibe.

All in all, a great sounding guitar, but it doesn't feel like a £2300 guitar, and has very average tuning stability with whammy use. I'e been looking at the Suhrs with the Gotoh 510 and Floyd. Would the Floyd make a great deal of difference in sound?

Cheers people. Also on the Vigier G.V, it looks great, but I already have an awesome Les Paul type guitar. I want something a little different and more versatile, whilst keeping a nice fat lead tone.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Quote by jimbob78
A little update: I went to PMT and digital village earlier to try out a few. Digital village wouldn't let me try out any PRS models because I didn't intend to buy one today . I tried a custom 24 in PMT, through a dsl401 (Meh). It had a lovely sound in the bridge pickup, and the inbetween coil tapped positions were pretty warm too (quite Knopflery).
However, I just didn't like the feel of it. For what's meant to be a versatile rock guitar, it had no flow. Legato lines didn't come naturally, and although the guitar had quite a lot of sustain, it didn't work for smooth leads with any speed to them. I don't think this was just the setup, the guitar just gave off that vibe.

All in all, a great sounding guitar, but it doesn't feel like a £2300 guitar, and has very average tuning stability with whammy use. I'e been looking at the Suhrs with the Gotoh 510 and Floyd. Would the Floyd make a great deal of difference in sound?

Cheers people. Also on the Vigier G.V, it looks great, but I already have an awesome Les Paul type guitar. I want something a little different and more versatile, whilst keeping a nice fat lead tone.

Floyds don't make a huge deal of change in sound. I still recommend the EJ strat, but you can get those used for around $1000.

There are other Vigier guitars out there, that have different shapes and pickup styles. As for Suhr, I've played one before and I thought it was fantastic. I played one of the classic ones without a floyd though as the only heavy whammy abuse I do is more how Hendrix does, not like Satch and what not.

If you want something different, maybe an ES-335? Though, it doesn't have a whammy. I still strongly suggest Ormsby, he can make you a fantastic guitar with anything you want. You can access him via PM on here since he posts on these forums.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by steve!
get 25 squire bullets

Lol...
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by jimbob78
(a) Digital village wouldn't let me try out any PRS models because I didn't intend to buy one today .

I'e been looking at the Suhrs with the Gotoh 510 and Floyd. Would the Floyd make a great deal of difference in sound?

(a) that's lame, take your business elsewhere. the correct response to that is, "if you won't let me try here today when I'm not buying, I'm not buying here on the day I am buying".

(b) yeah, it will. The gotoh floyd has a pretty warm and soft tone, it's completely different to the bright stratty trem tone. assuming the gotoh 510 is stratty... isn't the ge101 or something like that the really vintage stratty one? Maybe the 510 is two-point, in which case it probably sounds halfway between a vintage strat trem and gotoh floyd.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you have 2500 to spend on a guitar and need to come here to ask what to get then save yourself the money until you get a clue, what guitar threats should be banned.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
^ fuck off. If it weren't for "what guitar" threads there wouldn't be an electric guitar forum. And fwiw, jimbob is one of the more knowledgeable people about these forums- he's not cluelessly asking which guitar he should buy, he's asking what his options are in cased he's missed something which would be worthy of a try-out.

by the way, I have no idea who you are. Maybe you shouldn't castigate regulars when you aren't one yourself. And by the looks of his gear, he has more of a clue than you do.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by King85
If you have 2500 to spend on a guitar and need to come here to ask what to get then save yourself the money until you get a clue, what guitar threats should be banned.

out of curiosity, what threads should banket the front page of the EG section?

the setups, and new gear pics are already supposed to be at the top.

so what would you like the guys to talk about?
why avril has a sig guitar, when i'm still home wanking it all day?

new guitar threads are a main part of this section.

forget about the fact that he's asking a valid question. he's looking at his options and supplying the thread with all the important information needed to help.

come on now really.

TS, i would love to be in your shoes. i wish i could help, but i'm more of a strat player.
in your case i guess i'd go for a custom guitar. good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Cheers Dave. That post actually made me grin. The Floyd sounds right up my street too, as I like a warm tone, and a Floyd sounds like a lot of fun.

Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ fuck off. If it weren't for "what guitar" threads there wouldn't be an electric guitar forum. And fwiw, jimbob is one of the more knowledgeable people about these forums- he's not cluelessly asking which guitar he should buy, he's asking what his options are in cased he's missed something which would be worthy of a try-out.

by the way, I have no idea who you are. Maybe you shouldn't castigate regulars when you aren't one yourself. And by the looks of his gear, he has more of a clue than you do.

Ha ha brilliant, abuse from the off, always an intelligent way to get your point across, a tip of the hat to you sir!
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
i made pretty valid points apart from the swearing and slagging off your gear. jj1565 expanded on it, too.

and cheers, jimbob, good luck with the guitar. Floyds are great fun, but like anything it'll depend on how much you'll use it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers. I found a nice deal on one, but I'm not sure about the finish.
http://www.peachideas.com/cgi-bin/sh000007.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.peachideas.com%2facatalog%2fSuhr_Modern_Trans_Charcoal.html&WD=suhr&SHOP=%20&PREVQUERY=SS%3dsuhr%26ACTION.x%3d0%26ACTION.y%3d0%26PR%3d-1%26TB%3dA%26SHOP%3d%20&PN=Suhr_Modern_Trans_Charcoal.html%23a1671#a1671

Or they have a mahogany honey burst coming in for £600 more with a Floyd...
Or a Guthrie sig for £200 more than that.

Saying that, for the price difference, I could have the basswood charcoal finish, and have a USA strat/tele for a few more sounds.

Decisions eh....
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Page 1 of 2