Hi there,

I'm doing a John Mayer relic build and I can't decide on the pickups I want from the gfs store. Alnico or alnico ii. I have a set of the alnico ii pickups in another strat and I really like them. Anyone know if the alnico set is that much louder or sharper? I like smooth tone that can bite if it has to, maybe the alnico would be too much? Is there even that much of a difference?
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2
Neither set is good for John Mayer tone. It's very VERY important that your pickups are wound with formvar wire if you want JM tone and GFS only uses poly.

If you do choose from the GFS lineup then the alnico 2 is going to have the smoothness that you are after but it won't have the bite and top end you need. If you go with alnico 5 It's going to lack smoothness but have better top end. Neither will have the sparkle and clarity that formvar wire provides.
Not taking any online orders.
Thanks for the links. Based on the videos, the ii's are still what I'm leaning towards. I'll stick with gfs because I'm on a budget and their hand wired loaded pgs are something I want to try. I wired my last one myself but for a $40 premium I'd like to see how jay at gfs does them... Probably better is my guess!

If I were going all out I'd look for the other ones mentioned but for this little test build on a squire body I'll keep it on the cheap.
-Zoom G2
Quote by chip46
Well you also have to keep in mind the pickups in the loaded pickguards aren't GFS pups.

There are two kinds. There are pre-wired ones that are filled with ceramic ones and then there are the ones that Jay (the owner) wires up by hand. You tell him which ones you want he fits them in.
-Zoom G2
Quote by chip46
Well you said something about $40 bucks so I assumed you meant the cheapo's. The ones Jay does are like $140'ish I think.

Yes, his are 135 and that's what I am going to order. I still consider that cheap, it's a good price to pay for the quality you get IMO.
-Zoom G2
It's only cheap if it's the tone you are after but it's not. Well... The bridge will probably work great but the neck and the middle are going to be all wrong.

Get some of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-ORIGINAL-57-62-STRAT-PICKUPS-GUITAR-PARTS-NEW_W0QQitemZ370226408897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item563336adc1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Or some of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/Seymour-Duncan-California-50s-Single-Coil-Set-New_W0QQitemZ380155974634QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item58830fd3ea&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Or better yet get some rock monkey 62's in the neck and middle and a hot texan swingin warm in the bridge. This guy has a set like that $140.00 if you can convince him to ship to the USA.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197970

These are the types of pickups you need to get the sound you are after. It's important that at the very least your neck and middle are formvar.
Thanks Corduroy, I'll check those links out!
-Zoom G2
Quote by deftonesordie
Corduroy = Pickup GOD. I'd recommend his pups

he'll strike you with lightning.

but seriously. if you want something extremely close to want you want. go rockmonkey.
Quote by deftonesordie
Corduroy = Pickup guru. I'd recommend his pups

Thanks

I should also point out that I'm not actually saying to buy pickups from me. This is the 1st ever set of rock monkey pickups to be sold by anybody other than myself and they are going for significantly less that I'd be selling them for. If you get them I'm not going to make a penny.