Now I've sold my old SUB I have the money to buy one of these two (others are possibilities too but I've found these for around the same price used). I'm spending no more than £400 so new basses will be a bit limited.

Jazz: I really like the jazz, well... I've always liked Jazz's and always wanted to own a 'real' Fender one (my Squiers done the job most of the time) and I love nearly everything about these basses, all the way from the tone, to the playability and even the aesthetics the one I've found is in a really nice sun burst showing off the wood grain with a tort pickguard. Comes with a hardcase and has recently been restrung. It's also £20 under budget at £380.

Pros:
- It's a Jazz, and I've wanted one for ages.
- Active electronics
- Love the finish and look of the bass
- I adore the tone
- I'd be happy to upgrade various parts in a year or so (modded my squier so the Jazz will be familiar in terms of electronics)
- The ol' single coils
- Loved every Jazz I've played and this one didn't disappoint
- Comes with a hardcase
- I can go and collect it

Cons:
- Not as comfortable neck as the Ibanez
- The one I'm looking at has a small crack on the fretboard (but I won't count that as the other has damage too)
- Not sure about the headstock - I know it's petty but looks are coming into this as I like both basses.
- Bolt on

Ibanez: This bass is nice, although a bit different to the Jazz I find it's got a different tone yet I still like it a fair amount. As for playability, it's an Ibanez! I've had 3 ibanezes over the years and have always been a sucker for a nice one. I know my way around the bass after borrowing my friends BTB400 for a month a little while ago (albeit its not the same but it's close enough). I'm surprisingly not a massive fan of the whole red/brown finish. The burl on the wood is beautiful but I just don't like the colour too much and the upper horn looks a bit too phallic. It's £400 including shipping but no case of any kind so I'd have to go and buy another meaning the total would go up.

Pros:
- Like the tone
- Good thin neck
- Neck through
- Bridge is better than the Fender bent-tin ones.
- Bart's and the pre-amp are pretty damn good. (preamps better than the Fenders I believe)
- I believe its got a slimmer neck profile - felt a little slimmer but not by much.
- The poplar top is lovely, crap colour but lovely burl.

Cons:
- I'm not sure about the shape, especially the phallic horn.
- Colours a bit.. Bleugh
- Prefer the single coils on the Jazz to the Bartolini's.
- No hardcase or any case
- Has to be delivered via courier.
- Wouldn't really know what to do with upgrading it part by part (only really modded a Squier before)

Now I'm at a bit of a loss with these two, I would really like to have both as they both satisfy me in a slightly different way. At the moment I'm leaning more towards the Jazz but who knows what I'll prefer in the morning. I'm thinking that I will go for the Jazz but the BTB is a very nice bass, and it could be better than the Jazz. So what do you think? Fender or Ibanez?

Also you may suggest/sell me another bass(es) and I'll look up whats mentioned but I'm not spending more than £400 as I need money for other things as well.

Some internet pictures of them both!

Strangely the burst on the one I'm looking is transparent compared to the one in this photo:

BTB:

Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Last edited by Rywad at Sep 15, 2009,
I recommend you the Ibanez BTB, neck-through, very comfortable it also has a 35" scale, which IMO is better than the the standard 34" because usually it gives more sustain and a beefier tone. Besides this the BTB has better pickups (bartolinis).
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Last edited by Edgecrsuher at Sep 15, 2009,
It sounds like you're liking the Jazz better, but I heard the Ibanez is a really nice bass.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Last edited by cal1 at Sep 15, 2009,
Though call, but i'd go with the Fender...
But check carefully on the build quality on both of them.
Quote by The Sharkman
Though call, but i'd go with the Fender...
But check carefully on the build quality on both of them.

Yeah I'm going to do that, somehow I'm probably going to go for the Fender. The clincher really was the fact I've wanted a decent Jazz for about 2 years and the fact it comes with the hardcase. And I can always stick a BA on there in the future and upgrade the pickups!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Quote by Rywad
Yeah I'm going to do that, somehow I'm probably going to go for the Fender. The clincher really was the fact I've wanted a decent Jazz for about 2 years and the fact it comes with the hardcase. And I can always stick a BA on there in the future and upgrade the pickups!

Good thinking.
Don't jump into the upgrades... ENJOY your Jazz Bass and find by yourself the requirements you really need.
I have a BA which I bought because of the hype. It's great but... well...
Then I bought a couple of barts for hum control, that's a major difference, had to adjust the output, etc.
Meaning: each has its "personality" and an original Jazz is not something you change lightheartedly...
I'm not getting how you think that the horn is phallic. Otherwise, I'd say the jazz... probably. They are both nice basses.
Quote by Halakar
I'm not getting how you think that the horn is phallic. Otherwise, I'd say the jazz... probably. They are both nice basses.

I'm not a fan of the huge horns on any bass, the BTB horn doesn't look too phallic but it still is a little.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Hmmm... If your penis looks like that, you have a slight problem.

I personally would go for the Jazz in your position. I have a 6 string 34" bass, and I find the B is a fine tension. Increasing the string gauge would decrease any floppiness (Haha, phallic...) you get from it.

Plus, B/O or N/T is a moot point. There's very little difference between them when it comes to sound.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Hmmm... If your penis looks like that, you have a slight problem.

I own the btb775pb. great warm tone and it's pretty versatile. I use it in my classic rock cover band and in a power metal project i got going with a local guitarist. I personally love the feel over the feel of a fender but that's purely subjective. the only "issue" i've had with the ibanez is that the volume knob is slipping but I'm pretty sure i just need something tightened inside. I'll get around to it one of these days. by slipping i mean that if i turn it all the way up or down i can turn the knob a little further yet without any results. It does not move while playing. Like i said this is minor and probably not going to happen with every bass of this type. I love the bass more than i've ever loved a bass. i vote BTB.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I think i'm still leaning more towards to Jazz, but really I'll probably end up getting another Ibanez in 6 months or so. So really it's not too much of a problem if I get one and want the other a couple of months later. I've been meaning to get both these basses for a while (since trying the BTB a couple of months back and the Fender god knows how long ago) and I think the Jazz will be what I go for.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab