Page 1 of 2
hey ok guys thanks so much from the last thread with all the response i got now this isnt a thread like "ok shall i get a line 6"

its a thread where i want you to reccomend me a range of guitar amplifiers, where i will go into the shop and test them all out to find which one i found the best.

now iv been playing guitar for a little under a year so im not that good on the amplifier side of it all,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SBBNSWuqCI this is me playing and yes i know im ONLY 14! i dont have years of experiance under my belt :/

so yeah im not a complete beginner but im not great.

thanks a lot guys

oh yeah forgot to mention.

styles: guns and roses, metallica, and im in a band so i play stuff like, summer of 69 sweet home alabama so quite a big range.

and im stretching my budget to 300 pounds MAX!

cheers
Vox Ad and Xl series
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
actually the vox xl 100 watt version looks pretty decent im might have to have a look at that
hey guys iv done my research on some vox's and they sound GREAT! is it worth me getting the 100 watt though or the 50 watt? i mean i am in a band but i dont know if its nessercarie what do you think?
100 watt might be a bit of an overkill... depends how large a venue you're gonna be playing ^^
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
50W should be enough.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
yeah thanks i mean we will play in pubs and stuff and outside stuff like weddings so yeah no bigger than that really, any other suggestions for amps i should try out guys?

thanks
When you have more money get a tube amp, that's my only other suggestion.
Solid state amps won't sound good cranked up.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by TheShizzNizz
ok thanks thoughts on the peavey valve king 212? some for 300 on ebay

It's got good distortion and nice cleans, but I dunno if it's better than the other ones suggested.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Look at the spider valve, incrdibly versatile, power tube section, easily modded, ad way more soul then the vox or the crappy line 6 spiders, and you can get one now hella cheap because they are coming out with new models next month so the current models are being blown out at unbelievable prices (over half what they normally cost)

I've tried every amp under the sun in the sub $1000 price range and I keep coming back to my spider valve.
Quote by TheShizzNizz
ok cheers do you know of any cheapish tube amps,

ValveKings for example. They are pretty nice amps, got some nice features, pretty versatile and if you want you can always change the tubes and speaker(s) to make it sound better. It's not a great tube amp but at least a decent one. But yeah try it out yourself.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Sep 15, 2009,
the VK is in my 10 most hated guitar amps. it just sounds like pure crap when its stock, with a tube change and some modification, its passable. but thats usually expensive.

boomy cleans + brittle distortion =

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

It's hybrid.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
whats weird about the VTs is...the 12AX7 is actully in the power amp isnt it?

"valvreactor" or something.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by O.O Meow O.O
i thought the 12AX7 was a preamp?????

It is.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
i watched a video that said it was in the power amp

stupid youtube.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by guitarcenter.com
The VOX Valve Reactor circuit is the key factor that separates the Valvetronix series from other modeling amps. The 100% analog original power amp circuit actually has the same power amp circuit as a full-tube amp, using a 12AX7 miniature triode to reproduce a distinctive tube amp sound unattainable by digital technology. In other words, it replicates aspects that have an important influence on the sound of a tube amp, such as the power amp's class A/AB operation and the interaction of the power stage with the speaker, thus reproducing not only the response of the original amp's power amp circuitry, but also the power amp's distortion as well as the nuances and subjective sound pressure of a full-tube amp.

There you go.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Hey shizz, About that video with paul showing you that vox amp and how it sounds amazing, well that guy could make a cracker jack box sound as good as any amp on the market distortion , a little bit of delay and reverb and voila that's how it's done. I own and played my spiderIII and the previous spiderII for years and i love it. You get what you ask and dial from that amp because I own one and know what I'm talking about. Sure there is other amps out there to check out and tube amp that are inexpensive but still we are talking more money to invest and might not be what you really wish. So that was my suggestion and my point about the spider's and i'm not ashame to own one and speakout about this amazing amp. The slackadjuster
Quote by Silver-spear94
the VK is in my 10 most hated guitar amps. it just sounds like pure crap when its stock, with a tube change and some modification, its passable. but thats usually expensive.

boomy cleans + brittle distortion =

I don't consider this brittle or boomy but maybe I'm biased

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CI117wHoKQ

Also, I'm curious, what are your other 9 most hated amps?

PS: there are quite a few very good VK clips from UG'rs in the Valveking thread. Check it.

PSS: TS - I'll circle back to you, I just had to get this off my chest.
Definitely try out the Bugera V22. It fits all your styles great and has enough volume for gigging. Sounds alot better than the Valveking for alot cheaper, imo.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Valveking's are cheap tube amps that sound ok, and u can use pedals with em pretty well
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by guitaristclass
100 watt might be a bit of an overkill... depends how large a venue you're gonna be playing ^^

100 watts is a hell of a lot more than overkill. even a 50 watt amp is ear splitting with the volume halfway up, a 100 watter will be twice that. 50 watts should be the max unless he's playing stadiums
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
100 watts is a hell of a lot more than overkill. even a 50 watt amp is ear splitting with the volume halfway up, a 100 watter will be twice that. 50 watts should be the max unless he's playing stadiums

I agree with what you're saying, but one statement is incorrect. 100 watts won't be twice as loud as 50 watts. The 100 watt amp will be louder but not by much.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I honestly don't know where you get half of your information. It's not twice as loud.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

If you want good cleans at high volume though (aka if you want decent headroom) 100w is useful to have. Provided we're talking about tube power section amps here.

Plus the relationship between power (W) and loudness (dB) is logarithmic, not linear. Double the power =/= double the loudness.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Sep 16, 2009,
I can see someone using a 100 watt if they play big gigs, but I use my Egnater without a PA for gigs ~400 people on a clean setting. If you're playing a big enough gig to use a 100 watter than why not just use a PA?

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by jc349
I can see someone using a 100 watt if they play big gigs, but I use my Egnater without a PA for gigs ~400 people on a clean setting. If you're playing a big enough gig to use a 100 watter than why not just use a PA?

This is true, of course 100w is harldy ever necessary, I just said it can be useful. I'd rather have the ability to deliver beyond what is needed in order to get as close to what is needed than be possibly restricted to falling short. That said though you are right, 100w all tube is going to be unnecessary most, if not all of the time due to PA's being almost guaranteed to be present when you need 100w to reach people.

And btw, I strongly resent the part at the bottom of your sig. I know a decent amount of theory myself but I have to say it means sh*t all alot of the time when you're creating music. It's only really necessary when you want to communicate effectively with other musicians and for certain specific aspects of writing music such as harmonising and modal writing etc. I think everyone should strive to learn as much theory as they can, but you can play guitar great without it.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by James13v
This is true, of course 100w is harldy ever necessary, I just said it can be useful. I'd rather have the ability to deliver beyond what is needed in order to get as close to what is needed than be possibly restricted to falling short. That said though you are right, 100w all tube is going to be unnecessary most, if not all of the time due to PA's being almost guaranteed to be present when you need 100w to reach people.

And btw, I strongly resent the part at the bottom of your sig. I know a decent amount of theory myself but I have to say it means sh*t all alot of the time when you're creating music. It's only really necessary when you want to communicate effectively with other musicians and for certain specific aspects of writing music such as harmonising and modal writing etc.

That's just not true at all, how the hell do you expect to get clean cleans at a reasonable volume on any amp without headroom? Just because you don't use your clean channel doesn't mean the rest of us don't.
And if you want good sounding distortion you want high headroom for pre-amp distortion, not power amp distortion. Overdriven-overdistorted tone sounds like nails on a chalkboard IMO.
It isn't about how loud it goes, it's about tone.
Quote by ticklemeemo
That's just not true at all, how the hell do you expect to get clean cleans at a reasonable volume on any amp without headroom? Just because you don't use your clean channel doesn't mean the rest of us don't.
And if you want good sounding distortion you want high headroom for pre-amp distortion, not power amp distortion. Overdriven-overdistorted tone sounds like nails on a chalkboard IMO.
It isn't about how loud it goes, it's about tone.

The music I write has pretty much a 50/50 split of cleans and dirty. I'm in a prog band, we go from clean jazz/blues sections into 80's thrash, over to sludge and possibly even death metal if the mood calls for it, then back again all in the course of one song. Dickhead.

Also, a good mix of pre and power amp distortion/breakup is vital to a great tube powered dirty tone.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back, not always vital, but usually needed for a great distorted tone.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Well, i've already given you my advice on the other thread, so i'll give you my guitar teacher's advice when I was in your situation.

"Save your money until you can get a good tube amp used"

I'll suggest the Peavey Classic 30, but of course i'm biased. But remember, the more you save now, the better the amp will be and the longer you'll hold onto it. You have 300 pounds now, and I paid $700AUD used for mine (370 pounds atm).

Just remember, you have the money now, its easier to wait a couple of more months to get a far better amp. I haven't played hybrid amps so I personally don't know, but I haven't heard that great things about them. I'd say, hold out on your money, check out ebay auctions on tube amps and when you find one in (or close) to your price range, make a thread here and ask for opinions about it.

I saw your vid, and you are awesome for your age and how long you've been playing. You have the skill to do a lot with your music. I think you'd benefit from a good tube amp.

Btw I heard that 30 tube watts equates to the volume of about a 70w solid state amp. I'm not totally sure about that, but its damn loud.

*EDIT*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBbnh7boFVA&feature=sub

Tube Guitar Amps vs Solid State explanation.
Amp: Peavey Classic 30
Guitar: Fender Telecaster USA Standard, Ibanez (Not sure of the model), Shitty Acoustic
Last edited by boozebarron at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by boozebarron

I saw your vid, and you are awesome for your age and how long you've been playing. You have the skill to do a lot with your music. I think you'd benefit from a good tube amp.

thanks a lot i apreciate that im 100 percent self tought, and so yes thats why i need help on this stuff

thanks you all for the replys

and yes i will not buy an amplifier saturday i am going to try them out and then i might auction on ebay etc. im selling a few bits and bobs so im determined to have some great equiptment, so i can now got to 350 pounds.

thanks a LOT everyone
bad news just in :O my local guitar shop do not stock the VOX AD50vt nor the ad100vt so it looks like im going to have to go on a hike this saturday to try out what i want :/
OK now i know what i am going to get iv read upon some reviews and watched some videos and it sounds great, its the vox ad50vt XL considering i love rock and lead metal the thing is its not either of my local shops near me so the only option is the internet, do you think i should i risk buying it off the internet despite i have not played it?, to me the amp looks great so yeah.

also i have enough money for it now, also i would have to travel MILES to get to play one due to it not being anywhere near me :/
ok thanks also theres a ad100vt on ebay for just 200 pounds!! should i buy it? i can buy it right now if needs be
Page 1 of 2