So here's the dilemma, I've just joined a new band and I need a new amp, I have to get the bus there though, so the amp can't be too physically big, but it will hvae to do for gig's as well, be it mic'd or direct out.

This brings me to my question, I Love line 6 and I'm getting paid, though this month has been a bit dry I'll only have around £150 left for amp money...

I'm looking at the spider III 75 so can anyone tell me if this is a good amp, I've played it, on a ll the setting, with my own guitar, and I liked the sound but will the amp be loud enough for gigs where the venue might not have a PA and does the direct out sound very good?

Also, are there any other amp's you'd recommend if you think this one is bad, Music genre, hard rock.

TL;DR

Is the spider III 75 good, does the direct out sound good, if not, are there any other amp's you'd recommend, hard rock, £150 will 75w be enough for smaller venues that don't have there own PA?

EDIT: Oh and just a note, this is the first band I've been in that i'm actually really serious about lot's of gigging with, I have been playing guitar for a good few years however, I'm just poor Also the amp needs to be carry#-able for 20ish mins
Last edited by phan at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by marc0mu
Let the flaming begin

Lemme guess, I said line 6?
Quote by phan
Also the amp needs to be carry#-able for 20ish mins

Oh god. Haha if I had to carry my Fender Twin...well, hell, I couldn't.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
The other guitarist in my band tries to gig with a spider III, please, don't do it.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You also said Spider III

Come on guys, People, Including me, Do actually like these amps, and you must have some advice, notice I said, can you recommend some other amps instead of just saying spider 3 sucks.... At least be constructive...
If I could only get a bus then I'd prob go pod into PA. Providing there are a few monitors there you (and your drummer) should be able to hear yourself fine and you'll get a good sound out front. I use a huge rig as I have a van and usually play decent venues but even still sometimes I get lazy and just take a guitar and line 6 pod x3 live direct to PA and I usually get reall good comments about my sound.

Btw, also most (decent) combos are very heavy and you will get sick of carting it around on a bus. (Although spiders are prob very light, never used, played or heard one mate).
Last edited by Jakeleigh1986 at Sep 15, 2009,
save up and buy a small low wattage head (orange tiny terror, vox nightrain ect.). keep the cab at your rehearsal space (i do assume you have another amp to practice at home)
Quote by Jakeleigh1986
If I could only get a bus then I'd prob go pod into PA. Providing there are a few monitors there you (and your drummer) should be able to hear yourself fine and you'll get a good sound out front. I use a huge rig as I have a van and usually play decent venues but even still sometimes I get lazy and just take a guitar and line 6 pod x3 live direct to PA and I usually get reall good comments about my sound.

Btw, also most (decent) combos are very heavy and you will get sick of carting it around on a bus. (Although spiders are prob very light, never used, played or heard one mate).

Well I have a 200w PA and a floor pod plus, I suppose I could leave that where I practice...
£150 is going to get you nowhere with any amp. You will like it for a few months, then be left unsatisfied. To have decent tone at the size you want, you will have to pay a fair amount... ie, £500+
Quote by phan
Well I have a 200w PA and a floor pod plus, I suppose I could leave that where I practice...

Yeah I would do that, save your £150 wait for something decent otherwise you wont be happy with your sound. You will need to work out a way to get your gear to practise and gigs if you are serious about this.
Quote by Jakeleigh1986
Yeah I would do that, save your £150 wait for something decent otherwise you wont be happy with your sound. You will need to work out a way to get your gear to practise and gigs if you are serious about this.

There really isn't :-( It's quite unfortunate really, they all live about 30 mins away from me in a car and there's a lot of reasons why I can't bring gear there every week, that's why I liked the idea of the spider, I could Dial in my effects while there, but have them when I get home, and keep them on stage, No spending hours dialing in....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vox-AD50vt-Valvetronix-amp-modeller-guitar-amp_W0QQitemZ220480381727QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item3355a7a31f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Your problem is solved. I'm quite serious. This is probably your best (and only) solution to your requirements. I'm not trying to be cocky, this is genuinely the only thing I know of that will sound good and gig at a low cost.