just a simple question;
since I am very new to the art of shredding, i know i need to practice a WHOLE LOT, VERY SLOWLY in order to be able to play what others would consider a relatively easy shred.

but to all of you guys who are decent, and have been shredding for a while,
if you were to look at a tablature of a shredding riff that you've never seen before, would you still be able to just breeze through the riff with relative ease?

I am asking this because a lot of people have stated that practicing is the only way to improve on shredding, but im not sure if practicing one or two songs will help my overall shredding technique in general...
Learn the technique behind the shredding. Whether it is sweeping or what not? That will make it easier then just learning it from songs, and help you use it in your own music.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Depends...most shredders have things such as scale shapes, sweep shapes, etc under their fingers, and if this new tab is based around familiar techniques, yes, probably they can, but suppose it has something like a really crazy stretch or some odd time signature or some weird pattern, it could take a while to get comfortable with.
Quote by thelax
but to all of you guys who are decent, and have been shredding for a while,
if you were to look at a tablature of a shredding riff that you've never seen before, would you still be able to just breeze through the riff with relative ease?

I am asking this because a lot of people have stated that practicing is the only way to improve on shredding, but im not sure if practicing one or two songs will help my overall shredding technique in general...

Depends: if it's using a new sweep shape that I havn't practised before, no. If it's techniques and shapes I already know, yes

*edit*

Quote by TubeAmp89
Depends...most shredders have things such as scale shapes, sweep shapes, etc under their fingers, and if this new tab is based around familiar techniques, yes, probably they can, but suppose it has something like a really crazy stretch or some odd time signature or some weird pattern, it could take a while to get comfortable with.

Damn, beaten to it
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
As your picking improves, your ability to pick up fast things gets much easier. New shapes always take a little bit of practice to get them burnt into your muscle memory. I find that the more I practice (4-6hrs) the faster my muscle memory picks things up, sometimes in just a few minuites, but when I only practiced 1hr or so before it took hours. I think its also good to wake up and play for 10 mins before going about your regular day, it conditions your brain to prioritize guitar up there.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 15, 2009,
I'm by no means pro but I can shred for sure. I remember asking myself the same thing a while back. I started learning hard songs....incredibly slow....even when they were "beyond" my skill level. if it's slow enough it's never beyond your skill level. I got comfortable with the speed then gradually sped it up. after a while I started playing the song faster then the normal speed.

then I started moving on to other songs, and riffs that would normally be hard did get easier to me. I can learn songs a lot faster then I could before. but I will always have to practice a riff even if i can play it up to speed. you can never be too clean.

idk if that answers your question...