so im going to uni in a few weeks and ive been told i can have a new amp as a leaving present at the moment i play through the worst marshall MG 15watt i have a sg with EMG's which i use for metal/ hard rock and a epi lp with SD's which i use for blues/ classic rock, i need a good all round combo but i dont know where to start i havent got the first clue about amps and any advice would be great, £200 ($350) is my limit but i can stretch
try the blackstar HT-5, good little amp . Will need a boost for high gain metal. All tube 5 watt combo so it'll be really loud, but shouldn't be too terribly loud
Do you want loads of effects, or a really good basic sound (with maybe reverb)?
The Blackstar HT-5 is ideal, although you'd have to stretch your budget or find one second-hand – and they tend not to be common on ebay.
The Vox Valvetronix series is also something to look into. They make well built, diverse amps that can be gigged, or used at home. And they sound particularly well-off when using them for hard-rock or blues. They don't clean up particularly well, but the louder models (50-100) offer more headroom (which is the amount of clean sound amplified before it starts to break up and distort). I can't say they are great for metal, but they're not bad, but the addition of effects certainly helps in that regard, as you can use it's delay and compressor to tighten it up.

Unfortunately, though, I wouldn't say the bump up from the Marshall MG to the Vox is that great. I'd personally suggest waiting and saving up. Even another £200 offers a more diverse array of tones.
hey man if u want something that does everything and does it resonably well and i cant belive im saying this look into the line 6 stuff its packed full of stuff and they come in some fairly small combos
Quote by SWBS_DJ_GUITAR
hey man if u want something that does everything and does it resonably well and i cant belive im saying this look into the line 6 stuff its packed full of stuff and they come in some fairly small combos

ignore him