I'll be testing out an original (unmodified, unmolested) Marshall JCM800 this week. I really like the tone of this amp but it definitely doesn't have the "high gain" of some of the more modern amps.

I'm looking for a way to boost the amps natural distortion. For some reason, it just cannot get a chunky modern rhythm tone.

Can anyone recommend a good pedal to run in front of it?

Also, please do not recommend a distortion pedal like a Boss Metal Zone. I'm looking to keep the JCM800's tone intact; I just need a bit more grit on it.

Advice?
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Ibanez TubeScreamer TS808 or TS9

Put the pedal's DRIVE control at 0
Put the pedal's LEVEL and Tone controls to suit your taste.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
I know a lot of people around here use Bad Monkey's as a boost. It should tighten things up and add a little gain, but not much. They are under $50 too so that's a definite plus. If that can't get you into the gain you want, then you may need to look at something like an OCD, or Crunch Box, or Box of Rox or whatever, but those will color your tone quite a bit.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
bad monkey. im not even kidding
or ts808. i dint llike the ts9 i had
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I've tried TS808s and they seem to have a bit too much of a mid range spike.

I've tried the original Bad Monkey (back before digitech bought them out) and they were ok. The other problem is that the Bad Monkey is a tone-sucker and not a true bypass.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by theraven871
I've tried TS808s and they seem to have a bit too much of a mid range spike.

I've tried the original Bad Monkey (back before digitech bought them out) and they were ok. The other problem is that the Bad Monkey is a tone-sucker and not a true bypass.

OK you seem to be bit pickier than I anticipated. I'd say you wanna look boutique then. There are literally limitless boosts and ODs out there if that's the case. I can't even begin to list them, maybe someone can...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
you can easily make it true bypass if the small buffer is too big of a deal. try out the hardwire series as well. i enjoy them
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by tubetime86
OK you seem to be bit pickier than I anticipated. I'd say you wanna look boutique then. There are literally limitless boosts and ODs out there if that's the case. I can't even begin to list them, maybe someone can...

Not trying to be too picky. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting any time or money.

In listening to some of the clips of the Bad Monkey I think I'll try one out. These newer ones don't seem to add as much color as the older ones. I figure if it doesn't work out for me, that $50 is such a small investment.....
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100