my external hard drive changed letters for some odd reason and now none of my music will play through itunes without me having to find the track. how do i change the letter back to E from F without reformatting?
did you change the usb slot your using for it?

mine does that if i use it on a different one to the one i set it up on, if you see what i meen
On xp it's:

Control panel>Administrative tools>computer management>disk manager> right click partition and change drive letters and paths

Something like that.
Quote by dandadog
On xp it's:

Control panel>Administrative tools>computer management>disk manager> right click partition and change drive letters and paths

Something like that.

awesome! hope it's the same or close to the same on vista
Quote by vjferrara
awesome! hope it's the same or close to the same on vista

Should be able to just put "computer management" into the vista search and press enter.

If not, googling "change drive letters and paths vista" will yield you lots of results, I just tried it to make sure.
I've been thinking of getting an external harddrive for my music and movies, so this thread is helpful. Much better than deciding "Okay, I'll just drag and drop everything to iTunes and just delete the duplicates". Last night I found all the music scattered across my computer and put it in my shared documents. Making sure I found all of my music was rather cumbersome.
it worked for a second. still works. now it is saying that i have to format the drive to be able to use it... everything on it still works. i'm going to click cancel for now but any clue as to why it is popping up to begin with?
Last edited by vjferrara at Sep 15, 2009,