Hi fellow guitarists,
I've been playing for about two years and in this last year I've actually improved a lot. I can play songs and starting to get some solo's down too. I play mostly Metallica songs so yeah I can play the faster stuff. Anyhow my problem is that I know that using a metronome is key in becoming more accurate and to be able to play fast (i don't like to use fast cuz i know it's speed is the result of being able to play accurate at greater tempo's) but for some reason when i try to practice my scales the constant clicking throws me off. I can't seem to play in accordance to the clicks unless it's like two notes per click. I don't know how to go about that because when I play a song i play it up to speed and it follows the drum beat but when it's just me and the metronome i get thrown off. Any suggestions?
You just need to feel the beat. Set it to like 90 BPM and try and play 4 notes a beat and other subdivisions until you can do it in time. Playing with only a metronome can be really hard depending on the song, cause it has no groove and doesn't accent the parts of the beat that a drummer would.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
i'm having the same problem.[about to start the same thread but saw this]

like i dont know if im in time with the metronome,
if i had it set at lets say 130bpm how would i know
that im playing at 130 bpm 16th notes?
i cant raise it anymore cause i cant tell if im in key with it
and wouldnt want to unless i know i am
i started slow moving up by 5bpm intervals starting at 80
i've tried slowing down but it doesnt really help
is there any method of keeping with it?
wow thats pretty useful.
gonna try that out. idk if itll work as well with 16th at 120+
but ill try it out
start out playing at a comfy speed with one note per click, then two notes per click.
the aim is to be able to have it click maybe once every couple of bars, and hopefully you can keep time in between clicks. it's important not to become reliant on a metronome to keep beat for you.
dont know if im in time with the metronome,
if i had it set at lets say 130bpm how would i know
that im playing at 130 bpm 16th notes?
i cant raise it anymore cause i cant tell if im in key with it
and wouldnt want to unless i know i am
i started slow moving up by 5bpm intervals starting at 80
i've tried slowing down but it doesnt really help
is there any method of keeping with it?

playing 16th notes your play 4 notes a beat. So ONE two three four. Just keep trying at slower speeds until you get the hang of it
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by turtlewax at Sep 16, 2009,