Looking for a new second guitar. I haven't really found what I was looking for: basically a couple of questions here. My budget is £350 I want a either and SG Shaped, Les Paul Shaped or maybe even standard Ibanez RG style shape. Basically a couple of questions here.

1. Whats the deal with epiphone stock alnico/alnico classic/alnico classic V pups? Why so hated and what actually is wrong with them - is there a point in me buying any epiphone sub £300. (SG G400) (Les Paul Studio) (gothic versions of such)

2. What are the best Les Paul / SG shaped replica, copy whatever you may wish to call them guitars for sub £350?

I play mainly Hardcore/Metal stuff like For The Fallen Dreams, Recon, Emmure, xBishopx, Bracewar, Trash Talk or any pretty much anything like that. I play through a Laney LX120 head and LX412 angled cab.

Cheers James
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I got it for £350 ^^ It's a great guitar, and never regretted getting it

1. I think alnico pickups are great! I don't see the problem with them in my opinion :/
2. Epiphone Les Pauls, ESP Les Pauls, Ibanez Les Pauls, Vintage Les Pauls, etc...
It's really your choice, we can't say which is best for you, you have to try it yourself and see which guitars best suites you.
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
If you play hardcore and metal stuff, go rather with the RG. I have it and I'm totally satisfied with it (the RG350FX), these humbuckers are great, wizard II neck is awesome. Only Edge III tremolo isn't that great, but if you're thinking about Epi Les Paul, I assume that floating trem isn't important to you - in which case get a hardtail model, floating trem is a pain in the ass someitmes.

Hope this helps, Paetar.
Marshall MG15DFX
Line 6 Spider III
Squier Strat Standard
Ibanez RG350EX
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Signature Wah
The rg321mh hardtail is good, but you should try first. Also if you want a les paul copy look to tokai and vintage guitars.
Last edited by Sale93 at Sep 15, 2009,
So far for me teh main contenders are: Ibanez RGA42, Ibanez ART 120, Epiphone SG G400 1966 style, Epiphone les paul standard Ebony, washburn X200 Pro (EMGs) and ESP LTD EC 256

I know its alot of choice but advice would be much apreciated (sp?) advice so far is good but very mixed opinions.
Quote by Sale93
The rg312mh hardtail is good, but you should try first. Also if you want a les paul copy look to tokai and vintage guitars.

The onyl problem with teh tokai and vintage copies is that they aren't made witht eh best quality parts, woods etc...
Quote by Jotter!
The onyl problem with teh tokai and vintage copies is that they aren't made witht eh best quality parts, woods etc...

I dont think theyre any worse than cheaper epiphones.
Tried Michael Kelly?
Yeah, i know i bum them, but they have absolutely awesome value guitars inside the uk as well. Mine was £369 and it owns for metal
(Michael Kelly Patriot Black btw)
Fender Custom Tele, FMT HH
Michael Kelly Patriot Black
Peavey VK 212 (modded)
Member #24 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
I have a Epiphone Les Paul Studio and it sounds awesome. I once got it just so, that it sent shivers down my spine... okay it didn't. But it should have done. On treble pickup it will more than suit your metal needs. And also if you buy it. You will have made my day..
I am very tempted by the ART, what is the actuall difference betwen teh ART 120, 300 and 320 apart from the colour and patterns?
Quote by Jotter!
I am very tempted by the ART, what is the actuall difference betwen teh ART 120, 300 and 320 apart from the colour and patterns?

nothing other than the visual stuff
Cool, only thing is though I prefer the "SG" shape can anyone recommend an SG shaped guitar of equal or better spec as an Epiphone G400 under £300? in The UK?
Quote by Jotter!
Cool, only thing is though I prefer the "SG" shape can anyone recommend an SG shaped guitar of equal or better spec as an Epiphone G400 under £300? in The UK?

the G-400 is probably the best "SG" you will be able to get for around £300 other than a Tokai