im after some stuff such as the spider thing in master of puppets and other hard riffs.

acoustic or electric but it has to be in standard tune!
Paul Gilbert's stuff: Scarified, Technical Difficulties, his versions of Bach fugues etc.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Thanks.

Although I find these riffs quite challenging, from a more advanced players point of view do you think that it is more rewarding to learn riffs like these rather than learning scales and theory?

by playing hard riffs will i get better at playing guitar in general?
Quote by john51
from a more advanced players point of view do you think that it is more rewarding to learn riffs like these rather than learning scales and theory?

That would be like learning lots of words but no grammar; so you would be able to play a load of riffs, but you wouldn't know how to write a song or play a solo that fitted with a chord progression.

If you learn theory, you will understand how the riffs work, how you can alter and combine them, and how to write similar or different riffs of your own.
Quote by blue_strat
That would be like learning lots of words but no grammar; so you would be able to play a load of riffs, but you wouldn't know how to write a song or play a solo that fitted with a chord progression.

If you learn theory, you will understand how the riffs work, how you can alter and combine them, and how to write similar or different riffs of your own.

but by playing riffs ill improve my coordination on notes and things?
Its a good thing to play riffs and licks but understand them ,like what notes are in that part and why do they sound so good against the other guitar playing ,then youl have a large vocabulary of licks and if you know what keys they are in theyl help you a lot when your learning scales and you dont know what to play.
If you're looking for hard riffs/insane solos, your best bet is Rust In Peace era Megadeth. Tornado of Souls, Holy Wars, that kind of thing. Really good picking workout.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55