Ok so I have no lyrics yet, I'm trying to focus on doing the instrumental part first. I have an intro and a chorus. I'm wondering though, how can i make a verse that fits to the song without making it the same as the chorus? I feel that when i just improvise i go right back into the sound of the chorus each time. I want something similar that fits but not the same. Any Tips?
Me too, trying to write song, for music composition class. It's not my very first song but it has to be happy...and I don't really do happy.

I found it helpful that if you make up a chord progression, like really simple, like canon or something and play it over and over until it makes you sick, then try and sing a melody over the top. If your melody is rubbish, its good, because it's probably not rubbish but you think its rubbish because it is simple. Simple is good, because then it is memorable.

Then once you have the melody, do the same with the lyrics, they don't even have to make sense. If you don't believe me, just listen to Stairway to Heaven or any Zep song, and they're great. Good luck and keep me updated. In desperate need of help too.
x
I could help you more if I knew exact detail, but verses are often more dynamic or more stilled than the chorus. Chorus drives the song and verse prepares the ground, if you know what I mean.

If you want, you can message me, so I could help you more when I'll know the details.
The song explains an emotion, as an end to lifelong mysteries, and the fantasy, for the fantasy is final result of reality...
Fantasy Engines
Josip Pesut
yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat as you are. I really really want to right a song, but I don't know where to start, or how it should go. Anytime I try to write a song, it just sound like "barbieish" Is you know what I mean. Plz help!
you can use the same chord progression for the verse and the chorus if u change it up a bit. for example, Sweet Home Alabama is D C G through the WHOLE SONG but for the chorus it switches to a blues shuffle. try this or switching between regular chords and power chords. Another tip is if you have a song that uses a 5-5-2 progression, for example E D A, use a slightly different 5-5-2 progression for the chorus. e.g. E B A.