Hi guys, I recently started messing about on a guitar a few months back, looking at tabs on here and such. As a result, I can now play a few bits of different songs, such as the rhythm parts to 3's & 7's by Queens of the stone age, and the very simple "Peep" by the Rasmus. I start proper guitar lessons tomorrow to get more help, and I was wondering if any of you could give me more tips regarding successful guitar playing. Now, i will list the problems i have:

The Natural beginner's "I'm never gonna get good at this" thought in my head,

I keep tripping on other strings when playing songs, no matter how much I practice them,

A horrible ear for guitar in songs (Can pick it out and notice guitar melodies, but can translate it to many tricky songs).

Now, I understand this is simply the ranting of a novice guitarist, but I was wondering what advice I can get from you guys. Thank you
Give yourself a chance to be a beginner - you're not going to be able to do everything you want to at the start. It takes time, and work.

Enjoy your lesson, listen to your teacher, say if there's anything you don't understand, and practice what he tells you to. You'll soon see yourself improving
don't give up... there are 2 main types of musicians: those that just get it and those of us that have to practice 40 hrs a week to even get close to getting it. i'm with the latter. i've been playing 12 years now and it still takes me longer than most people to pick up things. arthritis and tendonitis are kicking in which makes it even harder but, it is completely worth it. when you have practiced something for hrs, days, weeks, or months on end and then it finally clicks and you nail it there is nothing in the world that could make you happier
ty guys I hope i get better. I'm gonna be practicing whenever my exams, social life and homework dont get in the way. I really want to see some semi-dragonforce stuff coming out of my fingers lol. that'll take ages though.
People say playing in front of a mirror can give confidence a bit of a boost, as well as playing with others.

Try filming yourself if you can, and if YOU'RE pleased with it, show a few close friends
Realizing that EVERYONE sucked at the start was a good point for me when I was awful. We all suck in the beginning, and it's only through hard work that we get past that stage. I've still got a ton to learn, and I think part of being confident is realizing just that - you're ALWAYS gonna have a lot to learn - that's the beauty of music, you never stop improving. Better not to look at being virtuosic as the goal, and instead focus on continuing to improve as the goal, IMO.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
thanx again I just thought i'd say that I'm getting quite good at the chorded version of Rock you like a hurricane by Scorpions. I AM improving lol. still tripping over notes tho :/
Yeah i find playing in front of a mirror quite a good confidence boost ,as your so used to seeing yourself play from your own eyes looking down at the top of your guitar neck ,its interesting to see yourself as you are ,with your hand movements and posture ,which can help you a lot with your style.
The main thing to think is theres always going to be someone better than you and theres always going to people a lot worse than you
Just learning Paul Gilbert songs helped alot for me, he's insanely good at alternate picking and string skipping...technical difficulties is a good song for that