Hey UG, I'm having a huge trouble of choosing what kind of band I wanna form and then write for. I have so many diverse influences, I like a lot of punk music, and I literally grew up on hard rock and metal but then I also love stuff like U2 and Angels and Airways, then I like Indie and other stuff like Grunge and Reggae ...

I can never decide on what kind of direction I wanna focus and its really frustrating...

So, can all of you UG geniouses help this confused lad?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Don't limit yourself to a genre. Put it all together, and make it happen.
Write whatever you're best at writing.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
One advice: don't nail it on one or two. Let your inspiration flow as it comes .
edit: Great minds think alike!
Last edited by Crossover- at Sep 15, 2009,
eclectic is good.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
if your looking for members just tell them your influances and say afusion between these bands ...
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
ive got some people interested in they seem very in the hard rock/metal part so thats fine with me

also, my fiancee is in a metal band so im kind of keen to be in a metal band as a bit of ... i dunno ... competition? lol im sad like that
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
ive got some people interested in they seem very in the hard rock/metal part so thats fine with me

also, my fiancee is in a metal band so im kind of keen to be in a metal band as a bit of ... i dunno ... competition? lol im sad like that

Sounds like a plan. I would say that having outside influences is always a good thing, sure you'll be writing rock and metal, but you will probably find elements of the other genres you like creeping into your songwriting as well, as they do for me. For example, I'm mainly writing hard rock/metal for my band, but one of my songs has a strong JRock ballad element along with it, and another has a noticeable Muse influence, which makes the songs all the better, just don't limit yourself, they're your songs so just do what you want.
i just thought id let everyone know that i couldnt be bothered to force myself to write (like a few people suggested) and our stuff is incredibly grungey which is kool

thanks
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by guitarskater11
Don't go for a genre do whatever you want.

from my personal experience this can be a bad idea if you actually want to start gigging and playing shows.

It is hard enough for a new band to get out there, and i think one of the worse ways to exemplify that struggle to get out there is by not being able to put yourself into a genre of some sort.

I was in a band where we labeled ourselves as a hardcore band, but had a big post core and punk influence. We were kind of caught in the middle when it came to labeling ourselves and it was very hard to get people out to shows more than once or twice.

People that were into hardcore music thought we were too light compared to the other bands in the scene, and the postcore and punk lovers thought we were too heavy, and we know it quite hard to reach the mainstream when you have a lot of screaming anyway. Which is generally what every band wants to do, get there music to as many people as possible. It made it very hard to tell the right people what kind of music we would be playing, because there was such a mix.

I'm not saying you can't have a bunch of influences, but unless when your starting out you can guarentee ALL your friends can come out to see you, its going to be a big struggle to get out there and build a proper fan base.
Supergenre.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
If you're looking to write music, you should have a rough idea based on the kind of music you most enjoy writing. Otherwise, covers are going to come down to the kind of people you have to work with, and what they are best at in relation to you.
You'll probably find that you'll always write similar sounding music, regardless of your influences.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Write the music first - if it's not obvious what genre it is then congratulations, you've just paved the way for a new genre of music
Mix it all up baby!

You might as well be something different. And you never know, you might make a really awesome genre in the process.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by osXtiger
Mix it all up baby!

You might as well be something different. And you never know, you might make a really awesome genre in the process.

that would be awesome to be a founder of a genre
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Write stuff like what suicidal tendencies plays.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by zeminion
Supergenre.

+1
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix