my girl's sister has an old strat guitar that she wants to sell me for 100 dollars. it works and looks beat up, which i like. i do have one question about it though: the logo on the head stock is small and underneath only two of the tuning pegs, rather than being broad like most guitars. my question is, is this a different logo scheme fender used for a brief period of time on certain guitars, or is it a fake? it says "stratocaster" and "by fender" underneath it. its in the same font as your average strat's logo, and it has that "r" next to the fender logo. any help here is appreciated.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
Does it say Squier on it in big letters?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
no it doesnt say squire. and the serial number isnt on the neck. didnt they used to put it like behind the neck plate where the neck bolts on to the body?
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Quote by Strato-Massacre
no it doesnt say squire. and the serial number isnt on the neck. didnt they used to put it like behind the neck plate where the neck bolts on to the body?
I believe they did at one time. Pics would help.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Strato-Massacre
my girl's sister has an old strat guitar that she wants to sell me for 100 dollars. it works and looks beat up, which i like. i do have one question about it though: the logo on the head stock is small and underneath only two of the tuning pegs, rather than being broad like most guitars. my question is, is this a different logo scheme fender used for a brief period of time on certain guitars, or is it a fake? it says "stratocaster" and "by fender" underneath it. its in the same font as your average strat's logo, and it has that "r" next to the fender logo. any help here is appreciated.

"by fender" - To me, that is SCREAMING Squier.
Plus, it only fitting under 2 tuning pegs...
Someone managed to remove the Squier text but keep the by fender part.

But as above, pics would help...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
that black mark to the left of the text isnt scratch off text (like SQUIER). its just a scratch, ive checked it out.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Last edited by Strato-Massacre at Sep 15, 2009,
Yep, it's a squier...

Or actually, to be more specific.
That LOGO came from a Squier.

Since we're only seeing the headstock, it's quite possible the guitar is something completely different, and someone just put that logo on the headstock so it would look like a strat...

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 15, 2009,
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Yep, looks pretty much just like this one...

But on yours, they managed to take off the Squier/SN/made in japan.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
well the only reason i was ify about it is because it was their dads when he was a kid, like a real youngin', and hes 53 now. but oh well i guess.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Quote by Strato-Massacre
well the only reason i was ify about it is because it was their dads when he was a kid, like a real youngin', and hes 53 now. but oh well i guess.

Yeah, I hate those "get your hopes up...then letdown" situations.
Sorry.

But the real telltale sign is really the "By Fender" part...

A REAL Fender does not, never has, never will say "BY Fender", they will just say "Fender"..

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 15, 2009,
Yep a Squier Someone removed the Squier logo. I doubt it's worth $100.00.

I do it all the time with Ibanez necks I buy on Ebay when I use them for project guitars. A little rubbing compound takes the logo right off most Ibanez head stocks without touching the finish, not sure how the Squier logos are applied if they are over the finish they can easily be removed if they are under the finish you would have to take the finish off as well. I have seen Squiers with actual fake Fender logos on them. You can buy the Fender water slide decals and just clearcoat over the head stock.

John
Quote by Strato-Massacre

i've actually heard some good things about the old squiers from that era. i believe they were made with decent materials and sound good. squier is now considered entry level but that guitar may compare pretty well to products out today. for $100 it might be worth it as a collectible. how does it look overall and how does it sound?
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Ibanez RG5ERX1
Fender MIM Telecaster
Fender Acoustic
Fender Supersonic Combo
Boss TU-2 / CS-3 / DD-20 / Vox Satchurator / Hardwire CR-7 / Vox Big Bad Wah / ISP Decimator G-String
Last edited by Tiarella Jones at Sep 15, 2009,
Well....it might be an old Squier, and those are good guitars. As in from the 80s/early 90s.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Yeah I have an old squier and it's somewhat decent.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself