Poll: What about the ONLY threads?
Poll Options
View poll results: What about the ONLY threads?
Keep all the ONLY threads.
73 37%
Keep Politics/Religion ONLYs. Get rid of the rest.
16 8%
Get rid of Politics/Religion. Keep the rest.
58 29%
Get rid of ALL ONLY threads.
53 27%
Voters: 200.
Page 1 of 6
I feel like these threads alienate a lot of people from discussing the topics at hand. And also, with them being one thread, the topics are hard to follow and discuss to full potential.

Keep in mind my Pit policy. If we do get rid of these, rudeness and bad behavior will be swiftly reprimanded. You can disagree and argue, but do it politely and civilly.

In any event: ONLY threads ... stay or go?

EDIT: ****! The third option is supposed to say: Get rid of the Politics/Religion threads. Keep the rest.
#DTWD
Well if you want the thread spam to increase up to 100+/h then sure go ahead

edit: option 3 on the poll =
enjoi yourself

Quote by Arrived+Dparted

Zeus's beard, I died of laughter
I say stay.

EDIT: I posted before it was stickied. I feel so damn special.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Sep 15, 2009,
I say yes, if not, people will make over 9000 threads a day on the subject.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Quote by stepco12345
Keep them. Very interesting an informative threads.

i don't think you understand. i'm saying i want people to be able to start individual political and religious threads. i don't want the topics banned. i want them discussed MORE openly.
#DTWD
I say keep them all to keep things more organized
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
I see where you are coming from about the alienating thing, hell, i might even take part in a few of them, if i could just find a foothold

But at the same time, i dont want the pit filled with threads on every little thing that comes from a politicians mouth.

Maybe there could be a compromise, with a couple of categories for each ONLY thread subject, each category given a thread of its own? I wouldnt know where to make those divides though, and after a while they would probs just run into each other anyway
ffs, I've been saying for years to get rid of them. EXCEPT the ONLY Relationship Thread and Sex thread, because we get enough "Do I getz my gf pregnunt by fingering" threads as it is.

EDIT: on second thought, maybe just the sex thread.

EDIT2: on third thought, why not have a poll to discuss which threads go and which stay? I think some ONLY threads serve more purpose than others, I mean why do we have an ONLY photography thread?? sense? I see none.
Only Computer thread is really annoying as well, because you post a question and it's usually forgotten over the three next posts.
The ONLY nutrition thread is helpful, seeing as most people who post in their are regulars and really know what they're talking about.

as you can see, I have a firm stance and opinion concerning this.

I'mma have to think this over...
See, my original idea was to make a separate forum (called "The Focking Fury") where all these heated topics would go, and The Pit would be a more relaxed general hang-out. Shot down from above though as the Russians don't want anymore forums.
#DTWD
The Religion and Political, the Evolution vs Creationism, the ones that are ARGUMENTATIVE based should be kept. As for the Computers question, math questions, iPod help, it seems that if someone posted a question, and it was answered, then that would be the end of the thread. Instead, we get those threads being spammed with "ONLY COMPUTER HELP THREAD, L2SEARCHBAR."

We should also keep the drug thread, sex thread, and whatever else, but computer, math, science, whatever, ipod should go.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Last edited by brandon369852 at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by primusfan
See, my original idea was to make a separate forum (called "The Focking Fury") where all these heated topics would go, and The Pit would be a more relaxed general hang-out. Shot down from above though as the Russians don't want anymore forums.

The Focking Fury would be awesome

EDIT:

Quote by CoreysMonster
on third thought, why not have a poll to discuss which threads go and which stay? I think some ONLY threads serve more purpose than others, I mean why do we have an ONLY photography thread?? sense? I see none.

The sense is that photographers on UG have a place to share all their photos. If we got 6 new threads every day with users just posting photos they took, all other users would get pissed off.
Last edited by michal23 at Sep 15, 2009,
I don't care what happens as long as you keep the Drug Thread.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by primusfan
i don't think you understand. i'm saying i want people to be able to start individual political and religious threads. i don't want the topics banned. i want them discussed MORE openly.

Whenever I see an topic that should be in the political or religion thread get created, in a matter of minutes, the thread becomes nothing but a flamefest or trollfest. There are maybe two thread that defy this, that's all.

The P & R threads have very intelligent regulars that know their stuff. It doesn't prevent everyone from discussing, it just makes sure people know what the bloody hell they're talking about before making a post.
Quote by primusfan

It's hard to define when a topic becomes 'heated', though. I think that would just lead to arguments about which forum a thread goes in.
Quote by stepco12345
Whenever I see an topic that should be in the political or religion thread get created, in a matter of minutes, the thread becomes nothing but a flamefest or trollfest. There are maybe two thread that defy this, that's all.

The P & R threads have very intelligent regulars that know their stuff. It prevents people who don't know alot about the subject from asking questions, because they always get the "It's been discussed so many times, you n00b" answer.

*looks at denizenz*
Quote by stepco12345

The P & R threads have very intelligent regulars that know their stuff. It doesn't prevent everyone from discussing, it just makes sure people know what the bloody hell they're talking about before making a post.

the people in the P&R threads are sanctimonious assholes though.
#DTWD
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Definitely keep the Drug, Sex, Relationship and Hugging threads.

Most of the other only threads are a little pointless.

The hugging thread is the most pointless thread on UG.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Keep all the Only threads. Sure they can be a little bit intimidating for new people, but if people ask for things in them, most of the time the regulars in them are helpful and will give good advice/debate a new topic etc.
I think that the Only threads are hard to crack into, because to me, they're basically one continuous collective stream of conciousness. If you want to understand what the discussion is about, you have to backtrack a little to see where that part started, the backtrack a little more to see why that started, etc. I think they should go.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
I think the politics/religion/relationship/sex threads should stay. They're actually interesting and helpful.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
It's hard to define when a topic becomes 'heated', though. I think that would just lead to arguments about which forum a thread goes in.

heated = political and religious.

basically the two things one is never supposed to speak about at dinner.
#DTWD
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Definitely keep the Drug, Sex, Relationship and Hugging threads.

Or make one very awesome, very alcoholic thread.
There are too many subtopics to follow in the only threads for religion and politics so it's hard to keep a straight argument.

Delete those, as there is too much to discuss with one title.
Quote by primusfan
heated = political and religious.

basically the two things one is never supposed to speak about at dinner.

And business. You never discuss business at the dinner table.

*e-cookie for reference, should be easy enough*

EDIT: Seriously though, the best idea would be the separate forum, as while everything can get a little lost in one massive thread, separate threads each day would be terrible!
Last edited by michal23 at Sep 15, 2009,
Keep:
Politics and Religion to isolate the potential flaming.
Hugging, Drugs, Sex, and Relationship because I feel like they're specialized things with people dedicated to keeping them going well, which wouldn't work nearly as well as threads.

Keep the Maths and Science too, for higher-level stuff, but allowing algebra/geometry question threads (IMO) is a good idea.

Dump:
Gaming, iPod/iPhone (who uses it anyway?)

The rest, no opinion.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by michal23
And business. You never discuss business at the dinner table.

*e-cookie for reference, should be easy enough*

the godfather? *crosses fingers*
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
the people in the P&R threads are sanctimonious assholes though.

A couple (not mentioning any names) do seem like they need an ego check, but a lot of the regulars are more than willing to show the person who has a question the right answer, or at least the most logical and rational belief.
Last edited by stepco12345 at Sep 15, 2009,
I say ditch them, so many posts get overlooked and I think it would get a lot more people discussing a lot more things. Also it seems like a lot of people are intimidated to post in the political and religion threads. I say keep the other only threads though, they work well.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
the problem with keeping separate political threads is that most assholes who don't know what they're talking about end up in the thread and ruin it for everyone. however, it may be much more difficult for a user to come up with a topic in said political thread because most of the users in the political thread tend to be up their own asses on some other topic. same goes with religion thread.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by StreetLight3989
I say ditch them, so many posts get overlooked and I think it would get a lot more people discussing a lot more things. Also it seems like a lot of people are intimidated to post in the political and religion threads. I say keep the other only threads though, they work well.

see, this is where i am too. when people DO start political/religious threads in the forum a lot of people make genuine contributions. you NEVER see those people in the ONLY threads.
#DTWD
Quote by SteveHouse
Keep:
Politics and Religion to isolate the potential flaming.
Hugging, Drugs, Sex, and Relationship because I feel like they're specialized things with people dedicated to keeping them going well, which wouldn't work nearly as well as threads.

Keep the Maths and Science too, for higher-level stuff, but allowing algebra/geometry question threads (IMO) is a good idea.

Dump:
Gaming, iPod/iPhone (who uses it anyway?)

The rest, no opinion.

hell, why don't we just turn the pit into Wikipedia? With only threads about every subject in the dictionary?
"hey guys, so I got this Aardvark---"
*slaps*
"POST IN THE ONLY AARDVARK THREAD, YOU DICK"
seriously, why don't we just get rid of all the ONLY threads, and see how it works out for a while, and if it turns out to suck, put 'em all back?
Quote by paintITblack39
the problem with keeping separate political threads is that most assholes who don't know what they're talking about end up in the thread and ruin it for everyone. however, it may be much more difficult for a user to come up with a topic in said political thread because most of the users in the political thread tend to be up their own asses on some other topic. same goes with religion thread.

that's why they made us greenies!

#DTWD
Quote by stepco12345
A couple (not mentioning any names) do seem like they need an ego check, but a lot of the regulars are more than willing to show the person who has a question the right answer, or at least the most logical and rational belief.

Vornik and Meths?

It's Vornik and Meths, right?

Are we talking about Vornik and Meths?

If Vornik and Meths are reading this, I love you both. Lots of homo.