I'll try to make this as short as possible:

• Does Guitar Rig require any hardware to run or can u just get an adapter to plug your guitar into a computer?

• Is there a way to plug your amp into the computer for better recording?

• What's the cheapest way to record? (if you already have Guitar Rig and Sonar 8)
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
1. No it doesn't, but your computer's soundcard may suck big time (most probably). So i recommend you to buy an interface (see 3.)
2. Yeah maybe, see www.recabi.net
3. An interface with a dedicated instrument input, just make sure it's USB 2.0 at least. Firewire is better, but more expensive. Line 6 toneport UX1 and Guitar Rig Mobile are great ones in the 100$ price class

As a legal owner who purchased Guitar Rig with the controller, i can say that it's a sucking software. It's expensive. Nick Crow, Lepau and Acmebargig makes great stuff.

I use AcmeBarGig and it's 1000 times better than Guitar Rig and it's ****ing FREE!!!!!

Their new C-15 is really great, recommend you to check it out. It needs a cab emulator. For beginners, i'd say keFIR, it's free. (see www.recabi.net).

Good luck with recording, my friend.
Last edited by GisleAune at Sep 15, 2009,
Yea, my sound card isn't meant for recording but I'll be using this laptop for pretty much everything. In case your wondering it's an HP 8530w workstation.

The AcmeBarGig downloads are .dll so I just have to run this in Sonar (insert them in the VST Plugins folder)?

I won't be able to purchase an interface right away but was wondering how the sound quality will be through the sound card?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by thriller4life
Yea, my sound card isn't meant for recording but I'll be using this laptop for pretty much everything. In case your wondering it's an HP 8530w workstation.

The AcmeBarGig downloads are .dll so I just have to run this in Sonar (insert them in the VST Plugins folder)?

I won't be able to purchase an interface right away but was wondering how the sound quality will be through the sound card?

This is the sort of sound I can get when I record through the line in input on the computer I use - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CACM9A8K

I used Guitar Rig 3 and Dirthead for all the guitar sounds. All it is is rhythm guitar and drums, no bass or lead guitars.

I think it sounds pretty good for a metal tone, its horrible, but what kind of heavy metal guitar sound is nice?

PM me if you want to know more about how I get a good sound through the computer dude.
Last edited by muckypup at Sep 15, 2009,
PM sent. Are there any driver downloads I could get to make my sound card better for recording purposes?

EDIT: My sound card is a SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Last edited by thriller4life at Sep 15, 2009,