Hey! i need a little help with finding out how many ohms my speakers are. i had and old 1970's Marlboro(not the cigarette) 4x10 straight cab. i cant find any info. on this company... so how would i find out how many ohms the speakers are? if you need pics just ask! thanks,dave
get a multimeter and measure the DC resistance. it should be 70~95% of the impedance.

Common impedance for a speaker is 4, 8, or 16 ohms.

example: 6.5 ohms DC resistance would tell you they are 8 ohm speakers.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Open it up, take a look at the speakers.
Is there a resistance marking or brand name/model on them?

Knowing each speaker'e resistance and the wiring it is possible to calculate.

Another quick way is to use a digital multimeter and check the resistance between the ring and tip of the speaker cable while it's plugged in to the cab.

Actual reading will be a bit below what it's actually rated (e.g. a 16-ohm cab will spec out at 14 or so).

EDIT: beat me to it!
thanks! but does it make that big of a difference of how many ohms it is when i get the head? im thinking either a bass head or marshall valvestate!
Quote by savage94
thanks! but does it make that big of a difference of how many ohms it is when i get the head? im thinking either a bass head or marshall valvestate!

The general concensus is to always match the impedence that the amp is designed to operate at.

If it says 8 ohm, then you should blug the amp into an 8 ohm load.

This is the safe way, and there is nothing to remember.

Alternatively, you can go lower with a tube amp (It says 8 ohm, 4 ohm is okay). You can go higher with SS (It says 4 ohm, 8 ohm is okay).

I believe this is right, but SYK or someone else that is knowledgeable will tell you if not.
Quote by end_citizen
The general concensus is to always match the impedence that the amp is designed to operate at.

If it says 8 ohm, then you should blug the amp into an 8 ohm load.

This is the safe way, and there is nothing to remember.

Alternatively, you can go lower with a tube amp (It says 8 ohm, 4 ohm is okay). You can go higher with SS (It says 4 ohm, 8 ohm is okay).

I believe this is right, but SYK or someone else that is knowledgeable will tell you if not.
thank you!
is that marshall valve state a tube head ?
Quote by savage94
thank you!
is that marshall valve state a tube head ?

valvestate marshalls (I have an AVT150 head) are basically solid state. The Valve/Tube is a preamp but the poweramp is solidstate and this is where the load is plugged into so you treat it as SS
oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm jai guru deva (etc. etc.)
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Laces Out Danny
oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm jai guru deva (etc. etc.)

Dude, WTF are you talking about?