Evening UG!

I've been doing a bit of research into amps recently as I'm looking to buy a decent amp for recording/gigging/home practice. Basically I want a versatile 1 x12" or 2 x 10" (preferably the 1 x 12") combo amp (for portability) that can cover alot of different styles. The most important aspect of the amp would be the high gain tones as I'm looking for tones similar to Adam Jones from Tool. The cleans are also very important. It would be preferably for the amp to have seperate EQ's for channels too .

The amps I have seen and like the look of are thus:

ENGL Sovereign
ENGL Raider
Blackstar Series 1 45 (2 x12 i know, but they're lightweight and fairly small in construction)
Orange
Rockerveb (again aa 2 x 12" but I hear they're very good?)
Bogner Alhemist
H & K Switchblade
Diezel Einstien
Egater Rebel 30
Egngnater Renegade
Egnagnater Tourmaster (ag in a 2 x 1 x 12" but it looks veeeeeery interesting)

I have also been looking at Mesa amps, but from what I can tell there combos seem to be more rock and blues directed? Even the mark series, which holds a reputation for being one of the most versatile amps in the world? Also, I hear they need properly cranking to get a decent sound out of them?

Any comments on these amps or any combination of amp and effects I could use to find my desired sound would be great! Budget is around £1500 (I know some of the amps are a little over that, but if it's what it takes to get the tone in my head then I dont mind at all!).

Cheers,

Ash
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Last edited by guitaristclass at Sep 15, 2009,
Im gonna watch this thread carefully because ive been looking for the same thing for awhile now! He used multiple amps on the 10,000 days recording. Im not sure what he used before. So i can offer much help.. But i do like the ENGL's
Peavey 6505/5150 seems to be missing on your list. Only real problem with is the cleans aren't amazing. Dunno about the Bugera 333xl's tone much but it has 3 EQ's for each of it's Clean, Crunch and Lead channels.
Alot of the Mesa Mark series of amps are very versatile, they can easily go from clean to blues to rock to death metal. Though they take some time to dial in, a hell of a lot of buttons on those things... Also, worth considering is a Line 6 Vetta II. Those are a hell of a lot of amp in a nice small package. Or is an Axe FX in your budget?
Randall RM100 and a Benzin module
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
^ + 1
Rm100 will fill the needs of any type of music greatly.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Cheers, guys!
I dont mind a bit of fiddling, it would be worth it if it gets the sound I want. Can't stand Line6, although the Vetta II is a fine soudning amp I still find them to be sterile and unreliable. Not really looking for a rack gear... but it an option to concider... I'll look into them!
The RM50 Combo looks pretty swish... I will put it down on my to try list.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Depends on which Tool album's tone you want. Jones has always used the same marshall bass amp head (I think it's like a 70's head and by the same one, I mean the exact same physical head) in tandem with one or two high gain heads. He used to use Mesa Dual Rec(s) but as of the late 90's he's instead only been seen live with old blueface Diezel VH4 heads (which apparently sound darker than the silverfaced VH4's Diezel makes now).

Basically what you want is and amp with heaps of low/low-mids (whilst still keeping it focused), a bit of a scoop in the mids, a bit of a boost in the mid-highs and a scoop in the highs. Well that's what I use anyway and I get a damn good Tool tone IMO.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by James13v
Depends on which Tool album's tone you want. Jones has always used the same marshall bass amp head (I think it's like a 70's head and by the same one, I mean the exact same physical head) in tandem with one or two high gain heads. He used to use Mesa Dual Rec(s) but as of the late 90's he's instead only been seen live with old blueface Diezel VH4 heads (which apparently sound darker than the silverfaced VH4's Diezel makes now).

Basically what you want is and amp with heaps of low/low-mids (whilst still keeping it focused), a bit of a scoop in the mids, a bit of a boost in the mid-highs and a scoop in the highs. Well that's what I use anyway and I get a damn good Tool tone IMO.

Exactly! Someone who understands! I would buy a VH4 right now if I had the space and ability to transport a half stack, but there we go!

I will look into Genz Benz too... I completely forgot about them ha! Was after one of their 2 x 12" enclosures when I had my ENGL, but ran out of funds. The diablo 60-c looks pretty swish though, wonder if anyone near me actually deals in them...Cheers!
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
You should really look into Axe FX or a used Vetta, very versatile amps, and they don't have the digi-OD that so many hate.
You need to try an Einstein man.

Seriously the most versatile amp iv ever owned.

It will need an EQ in the loop to shape the lower mids and highs for a more tool vibe.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso