Hi, I'm looking at these two amps but having trouble on which to get, I can't try the ValvePower. The Eva is £430 (Head) and the ValvePower is £300 (Head).

I play a lot of blues classic rock and I gig. I would like nice thick lead tone (Peter Green and Gary Moore)

Cheers,
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
im interested in the VP too, if you wouldnt mind taking one for the team and trying it out id say go for that.

its said to be handmade and boutique.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

i'm not *that* familiar with peter green's stuff... gary moore would be a bit higher gain than the valvepower, though with an overdrive as a boost it'd probably get close- especially if you like his more vintage tones. I'd say the lead tone (without a boost) is pretty close to joe bonamassa on some of his lower gain tunes- e.g. sloe gin.

i've only heard good things about the EVAs, too, so I dunno. The big problem is going to be finding someone who's tried both, unfortunately, I'd have thought. I've only tried the valvepower. it really depends on what you want, the VP is cheaper, and has power scaling, but is more basic in terms of features. the EVA has a master volume and TMB controls, but no power scaling. Up to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im gonna go and try the EVA's, I would like to get the 5w head but it won't be loud enough for gigs.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not *that* familiar with peter green's stuff... gary moore would be a bit higher gain than the valvepower, though with an overdrive as a boost it'd probably get close- especially if you like his more vintage tones. I'd say the lead tone (without a boost) is pretty close to joe bonamassa on some of his lower gain tunes- e.g. sloe gin.

i've only heard good things about the EVAs, too, so I dunno. The big problem is going to be finding someone who's tried both, unfortunately, I'd have thought. I've only tried the valvepower. it really depends on what you want, the VP is cheaper, and has power scaling, but is more basic in terms of features. the EVA has a master volume and TMB controls, but no power scaling. Up to you, really.
Oh so you've tried the valvepower. What's it like?
pretty much awesome, especially for the price (it's gone up £20 since i got mine, though ). anything specific you want to know?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
pretty much awesome, especially for the price (it's gone up £20 since i got mine, though ). anything specific you want to know?
How heavy can it go? Guns n Roses? And also does it have usable cleans? Like Frusciante sort of stuff?
i don't really play much frusciante... and i'm normally running it flat out or close to flat out with the power scaling engaged. It cleans up pretty nicely with the guitar's volume control, but that's very dependent on the quality of pots and pickups in your guitar, having a treble bleed (assuming you like treble bleed caps on your volume knob), etc. etc. I like the cleans, they're nice (especially for an amp aimed more at dirt), but i wouldn't say they're amazing, especially if you want pristine sparkly blackface fender-type cleans. They're more like chimier, warmer british-style cleans, if that makes sense. i get a bit of sparkle when i roll back the guitar volume, but that's the treble bleed cap making its presence known, I think.

Without a boost, I'd say it doesn't get just as heavy as GnR (though with a boost I'd say it'd do it fine). with low output humbuckers (as that's what i normally use with it), with the volume around the 5 mark, you're at around AC/DC levels of dirt. More like 8, you're at led zep levels. 10, i guess cream, early van halen (possibly not just as heavy as early VH), that type of stuff. that's at low levels with the power scaling engaged, I haven't had the chance to really crank it up, yet.

from what i can remember, the cleans sounded pretty decent with the power scaling all the way up and the volume low, but i hardly ever run it like that.

this post might sound like i'm down on it- I'm really not, it kicks all kinds of ass. But I want to give you an honest representation of what it sounds like, what it can do, and what it can't. it's a one trick pony in terms of its tone- the tone control only really fine tunes the tone, and then with the volume you can vary the level of gain. That one trick can be used for quite a wide range of music, though, but I wouldn't want one for br00talz. probably up to hard rock, assuming you're willing to use an overdrive for a boost, and assuming you mean the same thing i do when i say hard rock (i mean stuff like van halen, guns n roses, queen, that type of stuff). the lead tone, without a boost, is actually pretty close to joe bonamassa's lead tone (at least on the couple of joe's songs with which I'm familar- sloe gin, particularly).

any more questions, just ask. Hopefully that helped a little.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't really play much frusciante... and i'm normally running it flat out or close to flat out with the power scaling engaged. It cleans up pretty nicely with the guitar's volume control, but that's very dependent on the quality of pots and pickups in your guitar, having a treble bleed (assuming you like treble bleed caps on your volume knob), etc. etc. I like the cleans, they're nice (especially for an amp aimed more at dirt), but i wouldn't say they're amazing, especially if you want pristine sparkly blackface fender-type cleans. They're more like chimier, warmer british-style cleans, if that makes sense. i get a bit of sparkle when i roll back the guitar volume, but that's the treble bleed cap making its presence known, I think.

Without a boost, I'd say it doesn't get just as heavy as GnR (though with a boost I'd say it'd do it fine). with low output humbuckers (as that's what i normally use with it), with the volume around the 5 mark, you're at around AC/DC levels of dirt. More like 8, you're at led zep levels. 10, i guess cream, early van halen (possibly not just as heavy as early VH), that type of stuff. that's at low levels with the power scaling engaged, I haven't had the chance to really crank it up, yet.

from what i can remember, the cleans sounded pretty decent with the power scaling all the way up and the volume low, but i hardly ever run it like that.

this post might sound like i'm down on it- I'm really not, it kicks all kinds of ass. But I want to give you an honest representation of what it sounds like, what it can do, and what it can't. it's a one trick pony in terms of its tone- the tone control only really fine tunes the tone, and then with the volume you can vary the level of gain. That one trick can be used for quite a wide range of music, though, but I wouldn't want one for br00talz. probably up to hard rock, assuming you're willing to use an overdrive for a boost, and assuming you mean the same thing i do when i say hard rock (i mean stuff like van halen, guns n roses, queen, that type of stuff). the lead tone, without a boost, is actually pretty close to joe bonamassa's lead tone (at least on the couple of joe's songs with which I'm familar- sloe gin, particularly).

any more questions, just ask. Hopefully that helped a little.
Wow, thanks thats great Yeah if the cleans are decent then thats good. I might get a Blues Jr a bit later on to A/B. So it seems it's what I'm looking for, the classic Marshall sound and a great price and yeah I thought I might need a boost. Ah well a Bad Monkey isn't much.

Thanks for all the help

EDIT: With a boost do you reckon it could get Randy Rhoads tone?
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Sep 18, 2009,
I will most probably buy the ValvePower because it's the cheaper option and if it sounds close to Joe Bonamassa's lead tone then that's enough to persuade me to buy it.
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
^ cool. Bear in mind, it's close to joe's tone on very specific tracks, I only know a few of his songs. But certainly it's pretty close to the tone on sloe gin (the lower gain lead tones on there without the wah, anyway- around the 5 minute mark, just after the break with the police sirens etc.).

i pretty much went with the valvepower because of the price and powerscaling, too.

Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Wow, thanks thats great Yeah if the cleans are decent then thats good. I might get a Blues Jr a bit later on to A/B. So it seems it's what I'm looking for, the classic Marshall sound and a great price and yeah I thought I might need a boost. Ah well a Bad Monkey isn't much.

Thanks for all the help

EDIT: With a boost do you reckon it could get Randy Rhoads tone?

no problem, glad i could help.

yeah, it is pretty much a classic marshall tone. i reckon it could hit randy rhoads tone. With it cranked (without a boost), the tone is actually not a million miles off randy and jake e lee. the rhythm tone on bark at the moon, basically.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ cool. Bear in mind, it's close to joe's tone on very specific tracks, I only know a few of his songs. But certainly it's pretty close to the tone on sloe gin (the lower gain lead tones on there without the wah, anyway- around the 5 minute mark, just after the break with the police sirens etc.).

i pretty much went with the valvepower because of the price and powerscaling, too.

no problem, glad i could help.

yeah, it is pretty much a classic marshall tone. i reckon it could hit randy rhoads tone. With it cranked (without a boost), the tone is actually not a million miles off randy and jake e lee. the rhythm tone on bark at the moon, basically.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it Just need my parents to give me back the money they owe me lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Nah it's fine, I have decided what amp from this thread and by the sounds of it, so have you. I just need to decide on a cab now.
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Jak Archer at Sep 19, 2009,
^I found a vid on youtube, somone had a Marshall 18w clone with a greenback speaker and it sounded amazing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKwIQlrvPMM
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
Want to see and awesome demo of an 18watter Lite? Check out my sig. It's what made Dave buy his!

And it's a great amp for Peter Green stuff I can tell you!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^Thanks alot, I have just got to find a buyer for my AC15, then I will buy the ValvePower
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Gabel
Want to see and awesome demo of an 18watter Lite? Check out my sig. It's what made Dave buy his!

yep.

regarding the speakers- I'd like to try one with a g12h30... and a greenback. just to see which i prefer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can tell you, having tried both that the G12H30 is the speaker for it. It's the favourite of the 18watt community for a reason. Takes away all the ice-pick and gets you some extra "oomph" while still having mids to cut through!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel

And it's a great amp for Peter Green stuff I can tell you!
Yeah I've watched that demo like 4 times. It's awesome

Quote by Gabel
I can tell you, having tried both that the G12H30 is the speaker for it. It's the favourite of the 18watt community for a reason. Takes away all the ice-pick and gets you some extra "oomph" while still having mids to cut through!
I also heard that, I guess I'll just have to order it and see and if not I can send it back.
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Sep 20, 2009,
Thanks Gabel, In your vid are you using a 1x12?
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Yeah I've watched that demo like 4 times. It's awesome

I also heard that, I guess I'll just have to order it and see and if not I can send it back.

Thansk

Yeah well I can tell you it's worth it. I order mine without having tried one (since they are hard to find here) and never regreted it. The tone is just so amazing. The compliment each other really well. Overall I think the G12H has to be my all time favourite speaker.

Quote by Jak Archer
Thanks Gabel, In your vid are you using a 1x12?

Nope, a 2x12. My 1x12 wasn't fixed by then. The cab has a pair of vintage Celestion G12-50s. They sound quite a bit like G12H speakers, so it's really close!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel

yeah, i thought it would work nicely. i loved the (heritage) one i tried in a laney lionheart.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i thought it would work nicely. i loved the (heritage) one i tried in a laney lionheart.
Yeah does anyone know if the Heritage one is worth spending extra on over the reissue?
Well the Heritage is actually a bit different from the Anniversary. The Heritage is the bass model with the 55hz cone, while the Anniversary is 75hz model. The the Heritage will have more bass and mot be as bright. I would just get the anniversay model to be honest.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Well the Heritage is actually a bit different from the Anniversary. The Heritage is the bass model with the 55hz cone, while the Anniversary is 75hz model. The the Heritage will have more bass and mot be as bright. I would just get the anniversay model to be honest.
Yeah that's probably what I'll do.
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Yeah that's probably what I'll do.

Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^ A long time back about a year ago when I was looking for a valve amp, I looked at this amp and for some reason I just didn't pull the trigger but now I'm getting ever closer to buying one
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Jak Archer
^ A long time back about a year ago when I was looking for a valve amp, I looked at this amp and for some reason I just didn't pull the trigger but now I'm getting ever closer to buying one
Same with me. Maybe it's the addition of the attentuator that has pushed me further towards it.
^That is an awesome feature.
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
^ definitely. I was looking at them just before the newest version came out, and was perfectly willing to buy an attenuator too. The fact that the newest model came stock with the powerscaling, for the same price (ok, it's gone up £20 now, but I still got it at the same price ), is what made me actually buy it, too. Plus, from all I hear (not being too familiar with attenuators), power scaling/virtual voltage reduction is actually superior to attenuators, too.

Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Yeah does anyone know if the Heritage one is worth spending extra on over the reissue?

i've only tried the heritage one, sorry.

Quote by Gabel

yeah, the one i tried was really warm-sounding.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?