Hey. At college I'm playing Open Your Eyes by Alter Bridge but I can't play the solo at all (waaaayy too fast) so does anyone have any good like Mark Tremonti-ish licks they know or some licks that can fit the genre. I'm not really a shredder but I can play fast-ish (Angus Young speed) and I can sweep and do Legarto fast.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
do you know the rhythm guitar under the solo?

if you can record it, record it and then make up your own solo.
Play something completely different. Don't skip the hard parts of the solo. Either play his solo or make your own, but don't skip the fast part simply because you can't play it. That's a really mousey approach.

Looking at the TAB, the fast picking part can be arranged for tapping (legato) without much difficulty. (By that, I mean that the arrangement won't be hard. It may still be a tough passage to play, but it won't be as bad. If you're not used to fast picking riffs, a song like that will kill you.) I'm guessing that you could tap your way through the solo.

The song is about the same speed as Whole Lotta Rosie, so it's withing your grasp.
woah dude.. if you can sweep its a little weird that you cant do that lead.. the fast bit can be played in legato.. dont pick every note.. apart from that i'm sorry i cant be of much help.. just that i cant sweep and do all the fast shredding but i find that particular lead is actually pretty simple... its just REALLY fast within what? 5 frets? (i'm talking about that fast part) :p
Kewl, thanks for your help. I'll try doing it with legarto.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

I am not too good at guitarist analyzing but I sometimes throw a blues note in my minor scales and if you play with the right agression it comes off as something myles or mark would do.

It is kind of hard to imitate mark though if you can't play his stuff since he is a god in right hand rhythm and legatos. Hell he has some pretty nasty sweeps too if you watch some youtube clips.
Last edited by ehlert99 at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by ehlert99
I am not too good at guitarist analyzing but I sometimes throw a blues note in my minor scales and if you play with the right agression it comes off as something myles or mark would do.

It is kind of hard to imitate mark though if you can't play his stuff since he is a god in right hand rhythm and legatos. Hell he has some pretty nasty sweeps too if you watch some youtube clips.

Yeah like you said it is pretty hard to improvise Mark's solo's cause of the alternate tunings he uses but I was looking at the pattern and it doesn't seem hard it's just the speed he plays it as.