i sold my spider 3 30 watt, and want to sell my epiphone les paul special 2. i have around 300 bucks saved up and i want to get the ibanez art320 which is 450, plus i want a really good amp, which would prob be around that much or more.

im not in a band i dont gig, ive been playing guitar for 2 years and im not the best, i like metalcore, i can play some stuff easy but i cant really solo or sweep and stuff.

Do you guys think its a waste to spend so much this early on? because my family isnt convinced in helping me out...So what do you guys think?

edit: easy as in most as i lay dying and the devil wears prada
Last edited by crimson205 at Sep 15, 2009,
i don't see anything wrong with having a good rig, even if you don't plan on giging with a band

if you have the money and you think it's worth it then you should get a good amp and guitar, maby not a huge amp but something that sound good
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
If youve been playing for two years, the you sound like your not going to stop anytime soon. and that was the biggest scare with my family not helping out. tell them your truly committed and this isnt just a hobby, its a passion. And maybe theyll throw you some spare bones.

But no, a good guitar is helpful at any stage of playing. So is a good amp. Youll learn faster, or youll at least want to play more.
+1 to that guy. If you enjoy it, it's more than worth the money to invest in some good gear, because that'll make you enjoy music ten times more.
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
Have you considered buying used? You can get way more bang for you buck that way. Definitely buy the best gear you can afford, you're investing in yourself.
i would consider buying used, but i dont know where to begin on amps. i want a amp that has really good distortion, like most metalcore bands. are peaveys good? like the 212, how much would that one be used? i liked the tone on one youtube video i found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aTO0Z-B274 -- 1:36 is the sound im lookin for
its worth it. for sure
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
That's a Valve King. Save your money. No rush, play a lot of different guitars and amps.
Quote by crimson205
What do you suggest i get then with like a 400 dollar budget?

absolutely nothing. wait and save up. if your budget is $400, and you plan on both and amp and guitar, no matter what you get you wont be happy with it.
Well i mean 400 on just an amp. is that too low for something at least pretty decent?
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
absolutely nothing. wait and save up. if your budget is $400, and you plan on both and amp and guitar, no matter what you get you wont be happy with it.

Exactly. How old are you? I am assuming you are still in school. Can you get a part time job? The Valve King is an OK amp. But you don't need the 2X12. You would be fine with the 112. For something fairly decent, you would need to spend $500 on a guitar and $5-700 on an amp all at used prices.
blackstar. or a xxx super 40 or whatever that is
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
yeah im a senior, and my mom doesnt have a problem gettin me a car but not amp/guitar >..> she said sheel get me one hopefully this weekend and yeah i am more than willing to get a part time job. and yeah i can stack up about an extra 400 by christmas im hoping. are combos just as good as heads/speakers?
In your situation I would think a combo would be fine. IN November Peavey will have their 5150 112 combo out. You can pre order now. Check them out online at GC or MF. That ould be a perfect amp for you. You can also buy it with a GC credit card and get 12 months to pay for it, same as cash. Your mom will have to apply for the card. Doubt you would qualify. THen you would have plenty of time to save up and get a newer guitar.
Yeah that sounds awesome the 5150 is very good, right?

edit, what do you mean by 212 5150? i thought they were different models
2X12 means two 12 inch speakers, 112 means one 12 inch speaker.

The new 5150/112 is a combo with one 12 inch speaker. $599 is a great price for this new amp. It will do everything you want.
oh man that sounds awesome...so its like basically the same thing as the 5150 head just combo ..cool

Thanks for the bunch of help by the way tennisplayer and you others