So me and a couple of really tight friends have decided to start a band. We have drums(beginner to moderate experience), Bass (I play pretty well), Saxophone (Beginner to moderate), and a girl singer who can also play clarinet. What are some possible music genres to play. We have talked about transcribing guitar parts to sax (metallica and stuff), but I dont think it will really work. I talked about jazz and reggae, but they dont seem to keen on those. Any songs or generes that you guys can think of will be appreciated.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
blues
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Can you imagin enter sandman or master of puppets on sax? That would be amazing.

What kind of sax? Alto? Tenor?
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
blues

great style, you can include metal into it, for example, gary moore
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Don't know how you would deal with the singing, but I was listening to this song and this thread made me think how good it would sound with sax and clarinet :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d844gJJyiQY&feature=related

But seriously, with this kind of setup, you could try some punk/ska, don't know too much about it so couldn't suggest anything there.

I wouldn't suggest playing metal pieces if don't even have a guitarist, it will probably sound too weird, you could try it

Everyone loves rearrangements of old 80's pop hits though, Never Gonna Give You Up or Take On Me, anyone?
hahahahahah

Over the summer I tried to get a band going with two trumpets and a trombone (plus the other essential rock members) and we made only one song in three months. So we trimmed down to 2 guitars, bass, drums and trumpet/keyboard

Unless you plan on playing ska or are classically or jazz trained musicians you really cant go very far from jamming. Find Key rock members first, especially if you want to play Metallica.
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
Thanks guys. I honestly dont know what kind of sax it is and the skill of our singer. Were having first "official" practice sunday so I guess well see then.
Last edited by c3powil at Sep 19, 2009,
Start jamming, for long periods of time, and I think the music you want to play will come out. Depending on the bands influences it may become blues or jazz, or just fun experimental.
Our sax player just commadeered a violin.....Im thinking kamelot! Itll probably take a long time for him to be able to learn it though right?
Polka????
"His name is Robert Paulson"
Last edited by Unlockitall at Sep 20, 2009,