Ok so I nailed E shaped barre (F etc)

Cool, so I try lifting my finger off for the E minor shape and oh dear, G string is muted. Is still muted if I push down so hard my head almost explodes

Do I need to basically relearn how I am positioning my first finger so I can use the same poistion for all barre chords? Or try a different position with this one?

Thanks
I take it that you haven't been playing for a long time.

You just need more finger strength.

Keep on practicing them!
just make sure your index is straightened so that the middle par tis pushing down on the strings.
the g and d are probably the hardest so don't worry 2 much, because the minor shape starting on the e string is pretty tough
that said you shouldn't have to push so hard that it hurts a lot
The best way i learned barre chords is to fret an E major chord with your 2nd ,3rd and 4th fingers ,so your 3rd finger on the 5fth string ,2nd fret. 4th finger on the 4th string ,2nd fret and then use your second finger to fret the 3rd string ,1st fret. Once you manage to hold this shape ,simply move your position down one fret (so you have the 1st fret on all 6 strings free) then place (barre) your first finger down on the all the strings on the 1st frets.
Then for the minor simply remove your 2nd finger.
A good way to help out your first finger barring is to roll it onto it's side a little (onto the the opposite side of your middle finger) and that means it can't really be bent so it should get all the strings.
Quote by whoomit
A good way to help out your first finger barring is to roll it onto it's side a little (onto the the opposite side of your middle finger) and that means it can't really be bent so it should get all the strings.

ya the strings you are having problems with are probably in the crevasses of your fingers
Make sure action is good.

Then, you want to move your index finges up and down without the other fingers involved. As soon as it gets to a position where you can play all the strings with just the one finger, that's your position! I have to really hang my finger quite high to get it down properly.