Ok... but if my guitarist says that he's playing a Asus7...
what bass scales would best fit that chord?

My scale/chord theory is minimal.
any direction here would be great.
links to lessons even better
What the **** is an Asus7?

Is it an Asus with a major 7?

To answer your question though, if your guitarist is playing (for example) a C major, the C major scale is your best bet. Either that or C mixolydian.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by Jasonbts
Ok... but if my guitarist says that he's playing a Asus7...
what bass scales would best fit that chord?

My scale/chord theory is minimal.
any direction here would be great.
links to lessons even better

No such thing as a 'bass scale'. Theory is universal (to an extent, once you get into some World music stuff, things get a bit more complicated).
In every scale there are 3 major chords, 3 minor chords and 1 diminished.

For Major (C Major):

Root: C Maj | 2nd: D min | 3rd: E min | 4th: F Maj | 5th: G Maj | 6th: A Min | 7th: B Dim

For minor it is (A minor):

Root: A min | 2nd: B Dim | 3rd: C Maj | 4th: D min | 5th: E min | 6th: F Maj | 7th: G Maj

(A minor is the relative minor of C Major - that's why all the chords are the same, just in different places)

Now one approach you can apply is triads. A triad can either be major, minor, diminished or augmented (I'll ignore this one for the purpose of this post.) A triad consists of the root of the chord, the 3rd of that chord, and the 5th of that chord.

A C Major triad would be C (root) E (maj 3rd) G (5th), F major triad would be F, A and C and G major triad would G, B and D.

An A minor triad would be A (root) C (min 3rd) E (5th), D Minor triad would be D, F and A and E minor triad would E, G and B.

The one remaining is a B diminished triad which is B (root), D (min 3rd) and F (dim 5th)

Learn this and then learning about more complicated chords will be a lot easier
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
yea look into diatonic harmony and modes for that kid of thing
modes are the scales corresponding with each degree of the scale
and diatonic teaches the arrpegios of the modes

if u want to get confuzing learn the inversions too they are like the modes of a chord i call it

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....