Poll: Do you remove them?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you remove them?
Yes
23 23%
No, gross...
77 77%
Voters: 100.
Am I the only one here who periodically gets rid of their calluses on their fretting hand? It's a really liberating feeling, and so long as you don't take off too deep of a layer of skin it doesn't hurt when you play at all.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Why would you get rid of them?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I didn't even know you could remove them.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
why they make it hurt less when u play bends
Originally Posted by TeenBite
Pfft, you all with your big shredding solos. I just play pinch harmonics, then play the same note again without a pinch harmonic. Everyone is like "teh fook?!".
No, mine come off sometimes, usually as a result of a playing binge I get on that leaves my fingers with shredded skin hanging off. Happens periodically.
I try to keep my callouses minimal by washing dishes in extra hot water and using a dab of lotion every once in a while. I like to be able to feel where I am on the string/ frets with my left hand.
I leave mine well alone, I need those the way they are
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
My calluses are thin enough that they don't bother me at all. Back when I was playing several hours a day, though, I almost wanted to pick at them.
i love them. the thicker the better. after an hour or so of playing my finger tips will start to hurt, so i love my calluses. my fingers hurt more in the summer, i think because it's humid here and my hands get sweatier. in the winter my hands are dry and i can play for hours.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I try to keep my calluses hard as ****.. I can't even feel with my fingertips on either hand (finger picking), and I love it. Makes playing way easier, why get rid of them?
Sometimes when my calluses begin to wear and generally get ****ed up, I will file them with thsoe Ped Egg things. Just so it doesn't get damaged further... but I don't mind calluses so much. Plus, they're an entertaining party trick... If you use them to put out fire, it's really fun.

Maybe my friends are just simple minded.... Wait....

But I have heard that Joe Satriani and some others will literally keep their skin together with super glue and duct tape. That's just what I hear though, so don't quote me.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by Absent Mind

yea... like personaly i just have extremely thick pads on my finger tips, i dont see how i could pull it off without a great deal of pain... lol
Quote by Absent Mind

Thats the only thing that crosses my mind
I did it too much, now the bone in my fingers are sticking out which gives me a really boney tone when I'm playing.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Rick540
I'm working on getting rid of mine.

aww man dont post that crap here. it makes me sick.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
aww man dont post that crap here. it makes me sick.

aw man don't quote that crap it's bad enough to see it once!
Hell no. I worked long and hard to build up my callouses, no way am I going to take them off. I dont wanna go back to having the pain I felt in my fingers while running up and down the fretboard before I developed them. Makes it soooo much easier to play with callouses.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
I dont even get them anymore, but when i did i picked at them by habit, just keep on playing and pretty soon you wont have to worry about them.
I tend to nibble at mine, for the sake of tidying them up, but I've been a nail biter all my life... Just reading this thread, I caught myself mid-nibble, subconsciously. What I get a kick out of is seeing several layers of callous hanging open like a little bomb went off under the fingertip somewhere. It can be like that sometimes.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
I've been playing for 5 years and I stopped getting them about a year ago (I still play as much as I used to, probably more). Now the skin looks normal, and just feels a bit thicker and tougher than my fingers on my other hand.
This whole thread just made me boke. I just leave them, **** eating them...
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
^ Hah! It's not like I swallow the ****, that's what ashtrays are for. Besides, what do you do if a hunk of dead skin is hanging off and getting in the way when you're picking? Derail a jam to bust out a nail clipper and a file? Who the hell owns a nail file anyways? I have a penis, I leave things like that alone.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Sep 17, 2009,
My calluses are perfect, thick enough so playing doesn't make them sore and thin enough so I can still feel every fret, bend, and vibrato I do. I'd never dream of picking them off.