I'm out for a new delay pedal, and I want to ensure I get the right one. I've heard many debates of analog and digital delays, and I want to know what makes them different. I've already found a couple of nice digital delays, but if analog is better I want to hear about some of the best analog delay pedals.

My budget cannot exceed $220.
Analog is more low-fi, so the repeats often have a very warm sound, and a little bit of 'warble' to them. They sound more ambient whereas digital delay is often very clinical or crisp sounding.

If you're not sure which to get, I'd suggest a digital reverb. Most digital units around your price range will have a reasonably good imitation mode, and will have many more options and longer delay times.
Analog delays can be very cool and sound great, but you have to be sure it's what you want. Digital delays are far more versatile and tend to be more useful for the average player.
there is information all over the place about this. it kinda shows me you are unwilling to look for it.

better analog delays:
t-rex replica
moog 104Z
maxon ad-999

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21605843#post21605843
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 15, 2009,
the t-rex is digital, I believe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use an eventide timefactor and it's godly but it's a bit out of your range.

What are you using it for? If it's just to sort of give that solo tone some oomph, then I would suggest an MXR carbon copy delay, which is a great analong delay at a budget price. Maybe a boss DD3 if you're into more experimental or technical stuff, or just want a little more clarity or precision.

Just go to a music store and try a few of each kind, see how they feel and sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
the t-rex is digital, I believe.

meh, so it is. i was confused with people keep talking about it's take echo sound.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 15, 2009,
i think i answer this exactly question almost every day...

i cba to post my responses again, feel free to search for them. the older ones are probably more in-depth.
Quote by gumbilicious
meh, so it is. i was confused with people keep talking about it's take echo sound.

no worries
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by wiredisme
TC Electronics Nova Delay or Repeater. Perfect for you.

This, TC makes awesome delays, maybe try to find a used Nova Delay.

If you want to go analog, don't get the Carbon Copy, there are better delays for the price: EHX Memory, Mallekko Eko 616, Modtone Vintage delay...
maybe find a used line6 dl-4. it's digital, but has an analog simulation, and you can set 3 different delays.

edit: it sounds great too, btw
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.