hey guys i wanna buy a new acoustic guitar. preferably a ovation because i love the high treble, and the amazing look.

so i wanna buy a applause ae148 but it has a shallow bowl. and i wonder if the shallow is quieter then a normal guitar. or what are the differences besides the size.
is there any tone difference?

im gonna try some tomorrow but i want so know beforehand
Don't buy an Ovation if you won't be plugging it in.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
what should i get... i only have about 250 dollars. and i dont want a huge dreadnought.
Quote by csgunner17
what should i get... i only have about 250 dollars. and i dont want a huge dreadnought.

Spend another $50 and get a Yamaha FG730S. It's a dreadnought, but it's actually pretty tiny. I've seen it in person. And it sounds beautiful.
o hows the sound? and i dont really want a 3/4 guitar if thats what it is

im looking for a warm sound but very trebly. idk if it matters but the thing ill be doing the most is just playen songs and sing along. i like a lot of jack johnsons, never shout never, and secondhand serenade.

so ya. hope that helps a bit. i just say a takamine i heard there good. its the g440c. not electric just acoustic. is that any good?
Quote by csgunner17
o hows the sound? and i dont really want a 3/4 guitar if thats what it is

im looking for a warm sound but very trebly. idk if it matters but the thing ill be doing the most is just playen songs and sing along. i like a lot of jack johnsons, never shout never, and secondhand serenade.

so ya. hope that helps a bit. i just say a takamine i heard there good. its the g440c. not electric just acoustic. is that any good?

The Yamaha is probably the best value at that price.

And it's full scale, it's just not as huge as other dreads. Hard to explain. It sounds like a rosewood dreadnought. That's about all I can really say. Deep bass, clear highs, slightly scooped mids (not nearly enough to have any negative impact at all. there's a reason so many people love rosewood), and almost no overtones. It's a very clean, fundamental sound. For your style, it's probably the perfect sound, to be honest. Great for singer-songwriters.

Also, the G440C is all laminate. The FG730S has a solid top. A solid top can make all the difference.

Rosewood will usually give you a warmer sound than mahogany anyway. Mahogany is pretty much all mids.

To be honest, even though I'm currently saving up for something special, I'll probably get myself a Yammy FG730S when I go off to college. It's really something special for the price.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Sep 15, 2009,
Oh dear. No definately not Ovation then.

Ok, the reason I said not to get an Ovation straight-acoustic is because they sound awful unplugged due to the plastic bowl.

My suggestion would be, as said before, to spend an extra $50. From there I'd look at the Takamine G340S and GS330 (or whatever models are in the "under $300" sticky), the Yamaha suggested above, the Washburn D10S, or if you're willing to spend $65 extra, which for this guitar I think is totally worth it, you can get a Seagull Entourage. Seagull is my personal favorite brand.

The most important factors in buying an acoustic is making sure the guitar has a solid top and trying out a whole bunch at a guitar store and deciding which one you like best.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
ok thnx. i kinda dont want a yamaha. cuz a lot of my friends to me the sound is not for me. like to warm, doesnt spark. but for sure ill check it out cuz idk there models.

and the g340, is there one with a cut away? i kinda want a cut away. kinda why im going towards a fxc body or nex. and cuz i heard its good for songwriters. but idk since never played one
In your price range, don't worry about a cutaway. It doesn't offer THAT much of an improvement on an acoustic, anyway. Any cutaway you find for under $300 (or even $400, for that matter), will probably be beaten out by most of its competition in the same price range. If you want a decent guitar with a cutaway, expect to spend at least $500.

And who the hell are your friends to tell you what you want? Go to a store, play a few guitars. Get the one that speaks to you, and tell your friends to shut it. Also, you said their main complaint was that Yammies sound "too warm", yet you yourself said you want a warm-sounding guitar? Once again, DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR FRIENDS.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Sep 15, 2009,
lol. no i mean my friends guitars arent what i like and most are yamahas. and i want a warm sound yes, but i also want a very strong treble. its very hard to explain. the sound i want is very subjective.

deep bass, and treble that you can hear more then bass. i want a warm sound but not that warm. but when i go check out guitars tomorrow ill see. im gonna spend prob 2 hours just checking guitars. since im gonna have this one for a long A time
Quote by csgunner17
lol. no i mean my friends guitars arent what i like and most are yamahas. and i want a warm sound yes, but i also want a very strong treble. its very hard to explain. the sound i want is very subjective.

deep bass, and treble that you can hear more then bass. i want a warm sound but not that warm. but when i go check out guitars tomorrow ill see. im gonna spend prob 2 hours just checking guitars. since im gonna have this one for a long A time

You probably won't find something with that exact sound signature in your price range. Once again, you're limited in your selection - you're going to have to compromise.

Just don't get an Ovation. Very thin, tinny, metallic sound.
1 more question. can u guys give me a list of guitars that are good for me. i cant find a solid top guitar. only laminated. so can u give me some solid top guitars?
Hmm....I would actually say you're looking for a Seagull-like tone, because I think you're describing my ideal tone too.

You mean....balanced with low overtones and clear, distinct highs, right? I call it "Warm Twang"

For solid top guitars, check out the guitars under $300 sticky. The first page has a few suggestions that are at least a solid top.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Sep 15, 2009,
yes exactly!. so seagull? would the entourage do that?? cuz im on a budget. . and is the seagull entourage sold top?
Yes, it is. All Seagulls are solid tops. And yes, it will do that. Not quite as well as its big brother, the S6 Original, but on a budget I think it is the, THE, best guitar available. Of course, I think you should go and try one out before you decide and all, but IMO it'll do exactly what you're looking for.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
OK. I too have to say no to the Applause by Ovation (BUT NOT TO OVATIONS). The Applause is a Super Shallow bowl and does sound thin due to its laminated top and shallow bowl. You need a mid or full bowled Ovation (not an Applause), the problem is, finding one within your budget. You might find a deal on ebay or Craiglist.

Go to your local guitar shop and play whatever they have in your price range (even a little higher and maybe haggle them down). Take a friend and let him/her listen while you play, then let them play and you listen. I say this because O's are designed to project and they can sound very different from the player vs audience perspective.

Good luck.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77