so pit, my college was hosting an open mic night last night and i decided to go with my one friend. i didnt perform in it, but going i was assuming that it was gonna be a nice like acoustic guitar playing/stand up comedy/poem reading, but that wasnt it at all.

i get there and its this little coffee shop type place which is what the places are usually like, but as im walking in i see some kid unloading his half stack and pedal board onto the stage and think oh god what am i in for. for the next hour and a half metal head after metal head goes up, cranks their half stack to 11 and shreds while another person siamotainously screams as loud as possible into a microphone.

now i like metal as much as the next person, but feel this tiny little coffee shop type place with ****ty acoustics isnt the place for it. there was such a high pitch squeeling coming from every direction similar to that of the fire alarms they have in apartment buildings and schools and it was so annoying i had to leave.

so anyway, how does the pit feel about this/have any of you ever been in a situation like this? and feel free to share storys
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Open mics are for jazz and acoustic bands, not br00talz metalz bands.

Oh and i haven't been in a situation like that before. >____>
What is this? You are not metal!
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
You should have gone up and played a nice acoustic song, show them how to be more brutal than brutal.
When times like this occurs...

Acoustic Metal is the only option.
Quote by joshua122593
Open mics are for jazz and acoustic bands, not br00talz metalz bands.

Oh and i haven't been in a situation like that before. >____>

thats what i thought but i was wrong apparently i was wrong. not to mention all the assholes that went and cheered of clapped or somehow made fun of someone everytime they screwed up. they probably couldnt even play an instrument let alone have the balls to go up there and play infront of a bunch of people
Quote by gatechballer
my school's having a coffee house type of thing and me some people that play sax and trumpet, a guitar player, etc are gonna do it. figured since it's our last year might as well play some.

I hope there aren't any metal heads playing though
They must have been desperate...
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
1. Start a ****ty band
2. play a open mic night
3. find pick of destiny
4. ?????
5. PROFIT!!
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
Quote by SoLgEr
so pit, my college was hosting an open mic night last night and i decided to go with my one friend. i didnt perform in it, but going i was assuming that it was gonna be a nice like acoustic guitar playing/stand up comedy/poem reading, but that wasnt it at all.

i get there and its this little coffee shop type place which is what the places are usually like, but as im walking in i see some kid unloading his half stack and pedal board onto the stage and think oh god what am i in for. for the next hour and a half metal head after metal head goes up, cranks their half stack to 11 and shreds while another person siamotainously screams as loud as possible into a microphone.

now i like metal as much as the next person, but feel this tiny little coffee shop type place with ****ty acoustics isnt the place for it. there was such a high pitch squeeling coming from every direction similar to that of the fire alarms they have in apartment buildings and schools and it was so annoying i had to leave.

so anyway, how does the pit feel about this/have any of you ever been in a situation like this? and feel free to share storys

you only have one friend ?!?!?!?!

and open mic nightes are only for acoustic performers...
and no i havent done an open mic night, but i have played out side and there was a creepy guy that watched me solo on an acoustic for 15 min. yeh he recomended some recording studios
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
you only have one friend ?!?!?!?!

and open mic nightes are only for acoustic performers...
and no i havent done an open mic night, but i have played out side and there was a creepy guy that watched me solo on an acoustic for 15 min. yeh he recomended some recording studios

no i dont have only one friend, i guess a better way to word that would have been one of my friends...jackass
Quote by gatechballer
Quote by Rizzo228
1. Start a ****ty band
2. play a open mic night
3. find pick of destiny
4. ?????
5. PROFIT!!

You forgot the key steps of find edible mushrooms.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Well, if one of them played I Cum Blood, all is acceptable.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by SoLgEr
no i dont have only one friend, i guess a better way to word that would have been one of my friends...jackass

ok... i was just making a joke... a stupid joke... but still you could atleast view it with a small amout of humor.
and i did answer your questions that you asked i think...
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
that sounds pretty brutal...for your ears
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
ok... i was just making a joke... a stupid joke... but still you could atleast view it with a small amout of humor.
and i did answer your questions that you asked i think...

actually i did think it was funny i jsut felt like being a jerk back. its all good bro

and im glad to see that you guys agree with me that metal should be kept outta open mic nights. and i agree with who said it would be cool if i cum blood was played. it definetly would have made the show worthwhile
Quote by gatechballer
Last edited by SoLgEr at Sep 15, 2009,
Some generic deathcore crap gets played at my school once every other week at our open mics.

The rest is filled with generic pop singers, and generic dancers.

Its....annoying.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by herby190
This. I don't even generally like laid-back acoustic songs, but I love this song. I was actually wondering who it was by, I heard it at a party a few times, but never knew what it was.

Yeah man, Neil Youngs got some awesome stuff out there
You should perform in it with an acoustic and play some nice, laid back songs.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by namesroverrated
You should perform in it with an acoustic and play some nice, laid back songs.

i think i will eventually, i dont have my acoustic at school here with me, just some cheep squire tele that i modded but it still doesnt sound too good compaired to my other stuff, next time i go home ill probably grab one of my other guitars.

if i were to play it what would you guys suggest?
im a big guns n roses fan so i was thinking like used to love her, because its funny and you aint the first because i rarely hear any slide guitar at any of the open mics and other things like that. and i was also thinking of an acoustic version of chop away by izzy stradlin. what other suggestions you guys got?
Quote by gatechballer
Quote by Zoot Allures
Yeah man, Neil Youngs got some awesome stuff out there

Amongst mounds and mounds of garbage. But my God, when he's good...
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
This has never hapened to me. The closest ive been with something like this was some guy came up with his bass and played this cool little funk jam with himself. All I can do is shake my head in shame at your little open mic setup. Find someother place to open mic. You might not be welcomed there with your acoustic.
I've played at just about every open mic night in every city I've been in. It's a great way to get your name out there, but playing metal in the one your described just doesn't make sense. Do you mean there was just a guitarist and vocalist? Doesn't the absence of bass and percussion defeat the purpose of being metal? I dunno. Anyway my college just recently had an electric open mic night, as opposed to the regular one in which they set up a drum kit, had a stack and bass amp set up. A few bands came that played metal, which was alright in such circumstances but still didnt contrast that well with the other acts.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Theres a VFW post near me that has basically and open jam session on Tuesday nights when the weather is decent. it's about 90% blues. Very cool.
I've been to an open mic night once, expecting there to be rock/blues/at least one instrument.
Cue comically, intentionally bad gangsta rap from the first person to go onstage. It was awesome.

After that was a very good blues improv, and then a local metal band that can't EQ worth a damn. We're talking cleans-with-scooped-mids territory.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.