I'm considering buying a couple of pencil case type pouches to store microphones (I have a couple of shure cases, but I need more) but I'm wondering if I buy cases with polyester/nylon lining will the possible static buildup damage my microphones (both dynamic & condenser) in any way?
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Sep 15, 2009,
theyre probably won't be enough of a charge built up for your mics to get damaged.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I SERIOUSLY doubt it. The XLR pins don't stick out of the mic, so I don't think the charge could be transmitted that way, and I doubt the casing is live...
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
I vwery much doubt it. The fact that the mic I'm currently using is a 30-year-old SM58 which has been used and abused in just about every way possible, and still works flawlessly, convinces me tyhat a bit of static buildup won't kill a mic. Most dynamic mics are rugged, and I doubt a static charge could damage the capsule the way it could, say, a computer motherboard.

The only mic I'd be even slightly cautious with is an ultra sensitive uber-expensive studio condenser, but even then I doubt a bit of static would do it any harm whatsoever.
Quote by kyle62

The only mic I'd be even slightly cautious with is an ultra sensitive uber-expensive studio condenser, but even then I doubt a bit of static would do it any harm whatsoever.

actually, ribbon mics are the ones you really need to worry about when it comes to errant electricity (alliteration FTW).

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
actually, ribbon mics are the ones you really need to worry about when it comes to errant electricity (alliteration FTW).

Yeah, I'm aware that ribbon mics are very delicate, but I would mainly be using the cases for dynamic mics (57's & 58's) and possibly a couple of pencil condensers.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
yeah, you'll be fine, if running phanton power though them doesn't hurt, there's no way a static charge will, unless they aren't internally grounded properly, even then it shouldn't be enough to do damage.

Last.fm