Poll Options
View poll results: P&R Threads?
Keep the ONLY P&R threads.
226 55%
Get rid of the ONLY P&R threads.
186 45%
Voters: 412.
Page 1 of 6
add any additional information in your post. this is mainly to get a good estimate to show us all how y'all feel and what we should and can do to accommodate y'all.

- davey
#DTWD
Hybrid system as a trial version plz.

Oh, just clearing this up from the previous thread, then I'm washing my hands of the issue:

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Or they just pick favorites, which is still just as counterproductive.

Right, but that's STILL working for my argument. Those guys are favourites, (guys who don't agree with the atheists, and therefore by your own corrollary MUST be regarded as trolls) DESPITE the fact that they are Christian.

Which makes their status as favourites and respected regulars even MORE impressive.
keep em open, but allow new threads to be made (hybrid system). it is then possible to see if and in what way it's better or not, and then further desicions can be made.
Reposting this because I think it's a valuable compromise that's being missed out on

I say keep the Sex thread, Relationship thread, Drug thread, etc at all costs. They stop us getting ridiculous threads about penis size and various boring relationship problems every 5 threads and the regulars there are well informed and able to answer questions well and in a couple of posts.
The Religion and Politics threads are a different breed. I admit that the discussions there can maybe intimidate people into joining in, but all of the regulars there were in the same position at some stage. They serve a valuable purpose in allowing people who have an interest to have an ongoing discussion about parts of religion and philosophy and politics that would not have enough interest to survive as independent threads. I think that for that reason they should be kept.
However, I think that the Pit mods (and they are usually fairly good about this) should allow more specific threads on Religion and Politics to be posted in the Pit. This allows a more specific discussion on the finer points of something that is in current affairs to be discussed which just isn't practical in the only threads (because it's impossible to have a discussion about legalising marijuana, Obama's health plans, the expenses scandals and Israel all going on at one time in one thread, it's just not practical). and allows people who don't want to post in the ONLY threads to have their say too.

Keep the only threads, but allow more open discussion of the topics they encompass in the Pit generally. Perhaps change the title from 'The ONLY religion and Philosophy thread" to "The general religion/philosophy thread".

As for people who say that the religion thread is hostile to anyone who isn't an atheist, that's false. If you actually follow it you'll find that people are only shot down if their points are silly. That goes for atheists too. Christians such as Denizenz and Patchwork are never treated like that because they make good points.
As for going to another forum, ya, we could do that, however in my experience this place has a unique atmosphere where open discussion is allowed in those threads. It'd be a pity to lose that because it's fairly rare on the internet.

TLDR; Keep the only threads as regards Sex and relationships. Keep the only political and religion threads but change them from Only threads to "general" threads to allow for a free flowing and highly specific less argumentative discussion that wouldn't work in separate threads. Then allow open discussion of more specific and current topics in separate threads in the Pit to allow for heated debate.
Quote by primusfan

and yeah, never make an argument presupposing the existence of god. vornik, meths and company aren't there for a debate or a discussion. they want an argument. i'm not having it. and i'm especially not going to allow them and their cohorts to take control over the ONE thread on a subject people want to talk about.

Untrue. We even presuppose biblical truth when that's stated as part of the post. We can't be expected to know what you're presupposing if you don't state it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I feel fine thanks, and thank you for accomodateing me
@dbostwick
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Untrue. We even presuppose biblical truth when that's stated as part of the post. We can't be expected to know what you're presupposing if you don't state it.

hahaha. if i had the time ....
#DTWD
Quote by LordBishek

Right, but that's STILL working for my argument. Those guys are favourites, (guys who don't agree with the atheists, and therefore by your own corrollary MUST be regarded as trolls) DESPITE the fact that they are Christian.

Which makes their status as favourites and respected regulars even MORE impressive.

Not really, you're reaching at best.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Dumping the ONLY P&R threads is a HORRIBLE IDEA.

I vote we DO IT, so we can find out just how bad it can be.

/thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by LordBishek
^^^ Agree 100% with all of this.

EDIT: Davey, where's the poll option for the hybrid threads?

there's no sense in having a hybrid thread. remember how we close both threads and start them again periodically? that time is now anyway. you guys can make a thread your own if you want i guess. see, i remember a time BEFORE the only threads. there was a thread called The Bible made by Bubonic. it went on for like 126 pages and had its own "regulars."

that was back when Meths was still darkangel667. awwwww. :')
#DTWD
Quote by CoreysMonster
keep em open, but allow new threads to be made (hybrid system). it is then possible to see if and in what way it's better or not, and then further desicions can be made.

I agree with this. An umbrella topic can be a good hub, but when a new political issue, or somebody has an idea about philosophy they want to get out there arises, new threads are fine.
Quote by primusfan
there's no sense in having a hybrid thread. remember how we close both threads and start them again periodically? that time is now anyway. you guys can make a thread your own if you want i guess. see, i remember a time BEFORE the only threads. there was a thread called The Bible made by Bubonic. it went on for like 126 pages and had its own "regulars."

Are you fucking serious? That's absolute gold

EDIT: OK, sure thing.
Quote by primusfan

So if you were to close the only religion and politics thread could we make two new threads called "The general religion and Philosophy thread" and "The general politics thread" and continue on unmolested?
I'd be cool with that, I'm sure the regulars would too.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by bendystraw
I agree with this. An umbrella topic can be a good hub, but when a new political issue, or somebody has an idea about philosophy they want to get out there arises, new threads are fine.

HERE's your /thread, SYK

and primusfan, re-sticky mine and frenchy's competition, pls?
I'm quite torn. I like the politics thread and (when I used to post in it) I liked the religion thread. I'd like the disucssions to be more open and for more people to contribute, and if getting rid of the ONLYs would help that then I'm all for it.

I'm just worried about wether it would or not?:

Obviously some folk have certain problems with the politics/religion thread but... maybe you're looking at the other options with rose-tinted glasses? When I see politics being discussed in the main flow of the forum I see vast swathes of spam, flaming and and more flaming.

In the politics/religion thread most people are, if not polite, generally not hostile. When the stuff is posted as a thread (see election time threads for examples) it's chockoblock with spam.

But maybe i'm looking at the politics/religion thread with rose tinted specs...

Anyway,that's my opinion:

If it will make the discussion more open then, yes, get rid of them.

As it stands, without the ability to split the pit into more forums or some such (as you say, vetoed from upon high) I say stay with the onlies.

A good way to go might be to... keep the politics theads etc as they act as a sort of 'base' where constant discussion can go on and people can discuss small things without having to busy up the pit with it and get a thread that no one posts in. At the same time people can post threads for things like 'GORDON BROWN SEXES UP A LAMPOST. I think that's the best option:

Keep the only threads, be more lenient with what we let go outside of them.

COPY and pasted from my last post

TOO DRUNK TO KEEP UP WITR DAVEY
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

What?

Quote by Ur all $h1t
So if you were to close the only religion and politics thread could we make two new threads called "The general religion and Philosophy thread" and "The general politics thread" and continue on unmolested?

Yup.
Last edited by LordBishek at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

this might be where you got in trouble since you don't acknowledge a well thought out counter argument.
I am an anarcho-communist
I like the way you think...
Slacker write a fucking book

Have you ever listened to Dark Side of the Moon, on weed?
Quote by bendystraw

To be fair, if you had a general idea about philosophy you'd be better off posting it in the general thread, you'd be much less likely to be flamed and much more likely to get an intelligent and thought out response
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Why does Meths get to change his handle

You are henceforth known as darkangel to me, sir.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Ur all $h1t

i would be ok with that. i think the word "the" might throw some people off though. might make them think the ONLY rule is still in place. if there was a thread entitled "General Politics" and "General Theology" or something. that'd be cool.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
i would be ok with that. i think the word "the" might throw some people off though. might make them think the ONLY rule is still in place. if there was a thread entitled "General Politics" and "General Theology" or something. that'd be cool.

also, you guys must remember the crackdown against flaming. we'll take care of it. i can't wait to ban some ****ers.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan

Nobody's talking about a hybrid thread. All we're saying is don't close the current only threads, just rename them to general threads like UAS said.

You'll get the exact same result you're looking for, except that it'll be easier for all the regulars of those threads to just continue with whatever discussion was going on rather than having to repost the last page of stuff to get everyone back on track.

EDIT : You posted what I wanted to hear after I started writing this

Would we have a General Religion thread AND a general philosophy, or would they both be together as they are now? I think together would be better. Really the only topics relating to religion that aren't done to death and wouldn't turn into flame-fest are philosophical in nature, so having them separate would be pointless.
Last edited by dark&broken at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by primusfan
also, you guys must remember the crackdown against flaming. we'll take care of it. i can't wait to ban some ****ers.

That's what this is about................

Let the Great Weeding-Out of 2009 begin

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by primusfan

I'd be WELL UP FOR THAT, KEN BOYS
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by primusfan

I'm going to run a book on who gets slung to the FotB first. My money's on Devon, followed by Darkangel667 Meths >_>

EDIT:

Good night, Stu?
Quote by primusfan

Cool.
When you close the current threads could a mod start the new ones?
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by dark&broken
Nobody's talking about a hybrid thread. All we're saying is don't close the current only threads, just rename them to general threads like UAS said.

You'll get the exact same result you're looking for, except that it'll be easier for all the regulars of those threads to just continue with whatever discussion was going on rather than having to repost the last page of stuff to get everyone back on track.

dude. have you not been here for very long? we always cycle the P&R threads. we close them and start them again fresh. to remove all the clutter. you can continue the same discussion from the old thread if you want. it just becomes a hassle with all them pages.

we haven't done that with them in quite awhile though.
#DTWD
Quote by LordBishek
I'm going to run a book on who gets slung to the FotB first. My money's on Devon, followed by Darkangel667 Meths >_>

EDIT:

Good night, Stu?

I'm actually surprised that most of the R&P thread hasn't been sent en masse in the fallout of some of the trolls who occasionally come in there

The FoTB would then be full of "But he was a ****ing lunatic!!!" threads
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Cool.
When you close the current threads could a mod start the new ones?

will have to see what the other mods say about this trial period before i make any decisions.
#DTWD
Quote by dark&broken
I'm actually surprised that most of the R&P thread hasn't been sent en masse in the fallout of some of the trolls who occasionally come in there

The FoTB would then be full of "But he was a ****ing lunatic!!!" threads

"God hacked my account!" would be a close second.
Quote by SteveHouse
Why does Meths get to change his handle

You are henceforth known as darkangel to me, sir.

I want to know this, too.

I'm warming up to the idea of a hybrid system.
Quote by primusfan
will have to see what the other mods say about this trial period before i make any decisions.

Cool.
I just suggested it because a green name at the start might help frighten some people into civility.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by primusfan
dude. have you not been here for very long? we always cycle the P&R threads. we close them and start them again fresh. to remove all the clutter. you can continue the same discussion from the old thread if you want. it just becomes a hassle with all them pages.

we haven't done that with them in quite awhile though.

I was here for one of those, the switch to the current one, , there's not a whole lot going on in there right now anyways so it's no real hassle to repost the last couple things. At some points though, when the thread moves 6 damn pages (at 40ppp at that) a day, it would be a real pain if you came online to find a new thread, and then have to go through 3 pages of replies at the end of the old one, copy paste all your replies to those to the new one, then continue for another 3 pages..
Quote by blackthought
Those two threads just seem to get really dense, with multiple conversations/debates going on at once. It's kind of hard to get into.

how all you really need to do is read the last page and find a discussion to jump into or post your own new idea as long as you are prepared to defend it.
I am an anarcho-communist
I like the way you think...
Slacker write a fucking book

Have you ever listened to Dark Side of the Moon, on weed?