I'm a guitar player, but I might get a chance to try drums soon, so I want to adk a few random questions.

Do drums play notes? Are different drums different notes or do they just make a different noise?

How long does it take to learn decent double bass drumming? Like that bit in One by Metallica (at 4:31). With an hour of total practice a day, half of that on bass drumming, how long would it take to be able to play that?

Do you drum from the wrists or arm?

Thanks in advance.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
I'm a guitar player, but I might get a chance to try drums soon, so I want to adk a few random questions.

Do drums play notes? Are different drums different notes or do they just make a different noise?

How long does it take to learn decent double bass drumming? Like that bit in One by Metallica (at 4:31). With an hour of total practice a day, half of that on bass drumming, how long would it take to be able to play that?

Obviously. Just a little different than the guitar.
Quote by GoldfishMoon

1.Do drums play notes? Are different drums different notes or do they just make a different noise?

2.How long does it take to learn decent double bass drumming? Like that bit in One by Metallica (at 4:31).
3.With an hour of total practice a day, half of that on bass drumming, how long would it take to be able to play that?

4.Do you drum from the wrists or arm?

Thanks in advance.

1. depends
2. depends
3. depends
4. depends

seriously, there are no universal answers for this
Decent double bass drumming takes a little while to get down. It's not the first thing you're going to want to learn if you pick up drums though. You'll have to learn the right technique, learn how to play with your hands obviously, learn how to sync your feet up, etc.

And drumming is both wrist and arm, but it should be mainly wrist.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
It's mainly rhythm and timing. You can pretty much play any song (on sheet music) if you know what each time signature means. As to actually playing on a kit, it's more about "full-body coordination" as apposed to guitar's "hand-eye coordination".
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Last edited by soXlittleXtimeX at Sep 15, 2009,
- Yes, they play notes. Any noise has at least one pitch, and pitch can be measured in notes.

- Depends what you consider decent. Lars is actually a rather poor double bass drummer so it shouldn't take more than maybe 4-6 months if practicing properly.

- Wrists as far as i'm concerned.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by metal4life592
Decent double bass drumming takes a little while to get down. It's not the first thing you're going to want to learn if you pick up drums though. You'll have to learn the right technique, learn how to play with your hands obviously, learn how to sync your feet up, etc.

And drumming is both wrist and arm, but it should be mainly wrist.

but you'll want to train both feet equally from early on, if double bass playing is your goal. the hardest part is when your feet are totally different in terms of maximum speed, makes lpaying evenly extremely difficult.
you answered your first question yourself, the different sounds would be different notes
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by CoreysMonster
but you'll want to train both feet equally from early on, if double bass playing is your goal. the hardest part is when your feet are totally different in terms of maximum speed, makes lpaying evenly extremely difficult.

That's kind of what I meant, I guess my post just wasn't very clear. I just meant you shouldn't spend the majority of practice time doing constant double bass instead of learning important techniques and working on other things.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Man I'm getting sick of everyone just wanting to slap double bass in everything...there's way more to drumming than that...
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Yes, but he could also end up developing poor technique because he won't be able to keep up rhythms that may require only one foot on bass since he'll find it easier to use two. Sure, that'll seem like a shortcut but in the long run he'll develop problems when it comes to more intricate playing.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
It's not like i'm actually going to get into drums properly, I just don't want to be clueless when I first start and I want to know how hard drums actually are.
What about the drumming in something like Deliverance by Opeth, especially at 0:27
I been playing drums and guitar for like 5 years, so i guess i could help

Drums isnt THAT hard to play, it just takes time, just pratice slow and eventually move into something faster.

As for double bass, once you get it down is quite simple
BUT!
since you are just staring dont even beggin thinking about it.

Ps..I have a bad habbit, I tend to play with my arm and not my wrist, wich for me is a problem when im trying to do a "complex" drum roll

Hope I helped
drums dont play like an A note but they play 16th 8th half quarter notes and so on.

I dont have a double bass or ever tried to get good at one so iunno.

and you can use both, i tend to use my arms but using your wrist is good for drum rolls and such.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
If you have rhythm, that part from One will take you like 5 minutes to learn. But you should probably start off without a double bass, just to learn technique with the hi-hat and stuff.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Drums are tuned to pitches, but the notes are sometimes poorly defined. It's possible to have several non-harmonically related resonances on a drum head. And if the kit has double-headed drums, the two heads can be tuned differently as well.

Snare drums are closer to "noise" because of the gut, nylon, or metal snares that buzz against the bottom head. But even they often have one more dominant "note".

Quote by GoldfishMoon
That depends on your natural abilities and how wisely you engineer your practice routines. Even just a few instructions from a pro will help you get started properly. Having quality pedals helps a ton, too.

Quote by GoldfishMoon
Do you drum from the wrists or arm?

Thanks in advance.
From the wrist and (somewhat from) the elbow. Wrist are key. Arm movements are mostly not necessary, except to move from drum to drum. Plenty enough power can be generated if your wrists are developed, although sometimes it is convenient (and showy) to use large arm movements for accents.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Drums play notes. Snare, bass, and cymbals note status is negligible, as they really just provide rhythm. That's all drums really do anyway. The toms play notes, but nobody really tunesthem perfectly to be in key. Or you could be like Terry Bozzio and have 30 chromatically tuned toms spanning 2 octaves, with the same for cymbals.

Double bass drumming is quite easy in my opinion. I've been drumming since 6th grade, but I stopped for a few years before picking it back up. I'm a senior in high school now, but I never tried double bass drumming until the start of this year, and it only took me about a week to get the hang of it. Once you can keep a steady rhythm its just about increasing speed and varying your bass beats. Don't do it just to play One. Lars is a crappy, uncreative drummer.

I play with either my arms or my wrists, depending on what I'm trying to do.
Arms = More power, less speed and dexterity.
Wrists = Less power, more speed and dexterity.

Don't listen to these guys that are saying, "Oh, hold back because you're new at it." Go for it. You'll never be able to do anything if you don't try. This method worked for me. Starting out slow is for wusses.

But anyway, play drums, its fun. I'm more of a drummer than a guitarist actually. I play drums in both my bands. I play guitar for fun.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Last edited by pitobodies at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by In The Mist
Forget one. Play Bleed by Meshuggah. Easiest song ever.

Hahahaha, the timing for that song messes me up so bad. If you miss a single note it is so difficult to sync back up.
I've been playing drums for over four years and I have ONE SIMPLE SUGGESTION that will easily get you started on the right path to become a decent drummer: PROFESSIONAL LESSONS.

Even if you dont stay with them, a year or two of lessons will get you started on the right path so that you can learn how to play with proper techniques. Once you learn the basics, its all about having the right habits and developing ur techniques and skills.
"Kezia, my darling, please never forget, this world's got the substance of a frozen summer silhouette," Said my mother through lips that were cracked with love and toil before she added, "the warmest of blankets is six feet of soil."
Don't be a Drummer, they never shut the **** up with the damn cymbals!
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Quote by GoldfishMoon

1.Do drums play notes? Are different drums different notes or do they just make a different noise?

2. How long does it take to learn decent double bass drumming? Like that bit in One by Metallica (at 4:31).

3. With an hour of total practice a day, half of that on bass drumming, how long would it take to be able to play that?

4. Do you drum from the wrists or arm?

Thanks in advance.

1. Drums do play notes, but not the same as guitar. Drum sheet music simply notes rhythms, tempo and of course drums and cymbals hit

2. Everyones different some people pick it up faster then others

3. Same as before everyone is different, if you stick to that routine then you could pick it up pretty fast.

4. Arms would be more basic drumming, beats, fills all that fun stuff and wrists are always in use but more so when doing such technics as blast beating

Hope This Helps
Rig
Jackson RR3
Fernandez Monterey Elite
Ibanez RG7312
Peavey 5150
Orange PPC412
Boss GT-10
Boss NS-2