Hey guys, I just recently aquired a 5 string Ibanez and I was wondering if it would be ok to drop my low B string to an A. I play alot in drop tunings, and if i did that, i would have constant access to all drop tunings. Im using a standard .125-.45 gague strings. Would it affect tension too bad?
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
It might be a little floppy (wait for stupid joke here) but it wont do any serious damage to your bass. I do it all the time with my five string and it's all good.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
My ibanez takes low A pretty well, considering I do no adjustments. If you're going to be in constant drop, you might as well get a heavier gauge strings and a set up.
You can do it, but you'd wanna get the heaviest gauge for that string that you can get, really. I wish I could remember what gauge I used to use for Bb. I've only recently gotten back into bass. You can do it, though. The nut is cut wide enough. You'll need to adjust the intonation, though.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
It's rather common. Also some bassists will drop both the fourth and fifth strings so you can have something like ADADG, or GCGCF, so on.