Page 1 of 2
hey guys, im gonna be getting a new amp soon. i was in a debate between a 75 watt Marshall JCM 800 4210 used for $899.99 ( its a tube amp which i prefer) or a 150 watt bugera 1960 head, also tube, ($449.99) with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab (brand doesnt matter as long as itll sound good). my price range is no more than the Marshall amp. i play rock like acdc. i own a fender strat. my band and i gig so i also need something loud enuff, altho im pretty sure a 75 watt tube amp will be plenty. help me decide which one to choose from. if u recommend sometihng else, please say so. thanks!!
Jcm 800
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by thrasher.
Definitely get the JCM.
I'll post some other stuff off of your Craigslist if you give me some time.

yeah dude take ur time. and i was leaning towards the jcm too
JCM hands down.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by thrasher.

hm. the line 6 and boggie ones arent too attractive to me. never heard em so i cant really tell. but the marshall looks pretty good. looks like a tube, 50 watts. hows the tone? if u find anything else, please post it. thatll help a lot
The only good thing Line 6 makes is the off switch. Sorry. I've just never played a good one.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
The only good thing Line 6 makes is the off switch. Sorry. I've just never played a good one.

I disagree. Have you played anything but the Spider Series? Even the Spider Valve is a great amp once you get the tubes cooking. The Vetta is one of the best amps I've ever played.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by strat0blaster

Spider bandwagon FTL....

TS, that is a hell of a deal on the Vetta... ridiculous actually. Play the 800 and see if you like it then play the Vetta.

And also I think you mean the Bugera 1990... the 1960 is based off of the plexi.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by JayT44

Spider bandwagon FTL....

TS, that is a hell of a deal on the Vetta... ridiculous actually. Play the 800 and see if you like it then play the Vetta.

And also I think you mean the Bugera 1990... the 1960 is based off of the plexi.

no i meant the 1960. if i could i would buy the marshall plexi but those r way too expensive for me. thats how i got into looking at it. i have played the 800. the tone was great. im just trying to compare the 2 amps.
Quote by strat0blaster

very, very stupid thing to say. i assume you've never heard of the Vetta II? that thing is legendary among modelling amps. the POD? Variax Acoustics? you fail. line 6 makes more than just Spiders.

anyways, the JCM hands down. i like Bugera very much, but they really are more of a "knock off" imitator kind of brand. the Marshall JCM is the real deal
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
no i meant the 1960. if i could i would buy the marshall plexi but those r way too expensive for me. thats how i got into looking at it. i have played the 800. the tone was great. im just trying to compare the 2 amps.

Well don't be so quick to judge Line 6 just because of the spiders... they make great amps actually. Go for the 800 also.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by dlguitarmaster7

The 1960 won't have enough preamp gain for you to play ACDC, IIRC. You'd need a pedal to push the front end, or an attenuator. I ***STRONGLY*** recommend trying out that Vetta. Although it has a lot going on, and it's for sure more than you need in terms of features and watts, It's one of the five best amps I've ever played through. That is a ridiculous deal as well. Seriously, it would be a mistake to not try the thing out. The Vettas are absolutely nothing like the Spiders, Flextones, or SVs. They are in a class of their own when it comes to amp modelling. The only way you could really do better is to run an Axe-Fx through a tube poweramp, but I digress.

The JCM is a great option, I would also try the Bugera 1990, not the 1960. That Mesa is a great deal as well, but the Vetta is something you really should not simply ignore.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Jcm Ftw :d
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by ibz_bucket
The 1960 won't have enough preamp gain for you to play ACDC, IIRC. You'd need a pedal to push the front end, or an attenuator. I ***STRONGLY*** recommend trying out that Vetta. Although it has a lot going on, and it's for sure more than you need in terms of features and watts, It's one of the five best amps I've ever played through. That is a ridiculous deal as well. Seriously, it would be a mistake to not try the thing out. The Vettas are absolutely nothing like the Spiders, Flextones, or SVs. They are in a class of their own when it comes to amp modelling. The only way you could really do better is to run an Axe-Fx through a tube poweramp, but I digress.

The JCM is a great option, I would also try the Bugera 1990, not the 1960. That Mesa is a great deal as well, but the Vetta is something you really should not simply ignore.

exactly what is was thinking. maybe if they made the same bugera 1960 in a 50 watt version i might get it. but yeah it is a knock of of those marshall plexis. im pretty solid on that jcm. if its used will the tone be any less than it could be new? and it wont like break down or anything just caused its used right?
I strongly suggested the Mesa that thrasher. suggested. Otherwise go for the JCM.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I will get flamed but oh well...

The 1960 is going to be a better amp than the JCM for AC/DC style rock, as it is based on the actual/similar amps that the band used. The JCM seems the obvious choice but if you want the most similar sound, the 1960 is better. That being said, can you realistically crank a 150w amp much? If not, then look for something different.

Just thinking, is the Blackheart Hothead in your price range? I'm sticking my neck out, but I think this may be a better choice than both of the above, as the tone is very authentic Plexi, and is supremely versatile (100w-60w-50w-30w switchable). That would be my choice.

Quote by dlguitarmaster7
will a 75 watt combo tube amp be loud enuff for gigs and stuff like that?

It's more than many of us will need.

Check out this demo of the Hothead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXrfhamY3Fs
Last edited by greggybhoy at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by greggybhoy
I will get flamed but oh well...

The 1960 is going to be a better amp than the JCM for AC/DC style rock, as it is based on the actual/similar amps that the band used. The JCM seems the obvious choice but if you want the most similar sound, the 1960 is better. That being said, can you realistically crank a 150w amp much? If not, then look for something different.

Just thinking, is the Blackheart Hothead in your price range? I'm sticking my neck out, but I think this may be a better choice than both of the above, as the tone is very authentic Plexi, and is supremely versatile (100w-60w-50w-30w switchable). That would be my choice.

It's more than many of us will need.

Check out this demo of the Hothead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXrfhamY3Fs

yeah the blackheart is out of my range. 899 for the head plus a cab to go with it. it sounds good tho. haha i like the f'n loud channel. yeah i dont think id be able to crank the volume enuff on the 1960 to get the tubes going. at not without an attenuator which im not really interested in. plus i dont really know if bugera is that reliable. will the fact that the jcm is used make it any less quality at all?
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
yeah the blackheart is out of my range. 899 for the head plus a cab to go with it. it sounds good tho. haha i like the f'n loud channel. yeah i dont think id be able to crank the volume enuff on the 1960 to get the tubes going. at not without an attenuator which im not really interested in. plus i dont really know if bugera is that reliable. will the fact that the jcm is used make it any less quality at all?

Not really, unless the tubes are old. In which case just replace them. Shame the Blackheart is out of range, but even still it's a good deal new. Can't you get the head and a different brand cab? A used 2x12 will be much cheaper and the speakers will be broken in too which is always a plus.

EDIT: I misread, it's $899 for just the head!
Last edited by greggybhoy at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by dlguitarmaster7

Even if you had a 50W head, the difference between a 50W and a 100W are minimal in terms of headroom. I think it has something to do with sound pressure being logarithmic. This means that a 10W amp is only perceived as 2x the volume as a 100W amp, assuming the same speaker configuration.

That said, a 10W rated amp will BREAK UP much faster than a 100W rated amp.

To answer your question though, the JCM won't lose tone because it's used. If the tubes have a lot of hours on them, you may need a replacement set, but this is relatively cheap. Once again however, I suggest you get the Vetta. It'll probably do an ACDC tone just as well as any modern marshall amp. It will also have better cleans, and overall better versatility. you will almost never need to buy pedals.

Bugeras, however, are more reliable than they used to be. They're still not the best, but they have such a good warranty policy that it won't matter unless you're gigging regularly.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Even if you had a 50W head, the difference between a 50W and a 100W are minimal in terms of headroom. I think it has something to do with sound pressure being logarithmic. This means that a 10W amp is only perceived as 2x the volume as a 100W amp, assuming the same speaker configuration.

To answer your question though, the JCM won't lose tone because it's used. If the tubes have a lot of hours on them, you may need a replacement set, but this is relatively cheap. Once again however, I suggest you get the Vetta. It'll probably do an ACDC tone just as well as any modern marshall amp. It will also have better cleans, and overall better versatility. you will almost never need to buy pedals.

Bugeras, however, are more reliable than they used to be. They're still not the best, but they have such a good warranty policy that it won't matter unless you're gigging regularly.

k i'll look into the vetta. but again my only problem with the bugera is that i wont be able to get much overdrive until i completely blow my ears out
Quote by thrasher.
Get the Vetta dude.

wow. the vetta is way out of my price range. its like 1800 just for the head. do u guys know of any other remakes of the plexi like the bugera or blackheart hothead. i would be really interested in one of those. make sure its in my price range tho
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
wow. the vetta is way out of my price range. its like 1800 just for the head. do u guys know of any other remakes of the plexi like the bugera or blackheart hothead. i would be really interested in one of those. make sure its in my price range tho

Um, you didn't notice the ad I posted for it?

You could always get a Randall MTS and get a plexi module
Quote by ibz_bucket

The main difference between a 100 watt and 50 watt amp is headroom. If it breaks up faster, it has less headroom. The 50 watt will break up much sooner than a 100 watt. The difference between the two in volume is the negligible part; a 50 watt amp is about 80% as loud as a 100 watt amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by thrasher.
Um, you didn't notice the ad I posted for it?

You could always get a Randall MTS and get a plexi module

oh my bad i see that. r there any nice orange amp heads that r cheap? i know theyre pretty good but also expensive
so i need a final decision. is it the used marshall jcm 800 4210 75 watt tube amp that i should go with? no offense to the vetta, im sure its a great amp, but i havent heard that amp before and i would like to hear myself playing one before i buy it
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
so i need a final decision. is it the used marshall jcm 800 4210 75 watt tube amp that i should go with? no offense to the vetta, im sure its a great amp, but i havent heard that amp before and i would like to hear myself playing one before i buy it

Isn't it a local craigslist ad? I'm sure you can try it out. If you can't though, the JCM is decent.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Isn't it a local craigslist ad? I'm sure you can try it out. If you can't though, the JCM is decent.

yeah i just dont want to spend all my time searching for this one amp. if i see one at my local guitar center tho, i'll definitly check it out
Quote by dlguitarmaster7

Dont rely on us to make a decision for you
Try the Vetta out and make a decision based on what you hear. Its not that hard.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
I don't see what you are getting at. It isn't spending all your time to go play an amp for 30 minutes. You are honestly missing out if you or aren't willing to get the Vetta. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Quote by thrasher.
I don't see what you are getting at. It isn't spending all your time to go play an amp for 30 minutes. You are honestly missing out if you or aren't willing to get the Vetta. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

what im getting at is that i have to find a store that sells this vetta cause not all stores sell it. last time i was at guitar center i didnt see it. theres a few local stores by my place that dont sell it either. so if i see it i'll definitly try it out. but for now i think itll be the jcm
What about a Ceriatone?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
i've never heard of that brand. r they any good?

They are a Marshall clone maker based in Malaysia. You can either DIY the amp yourself or you can get the amp prebuilt.

They tend to have a lot of good reviews. Quite worth checking out IMO. You get a new amp at a fraction of the price, but I am not sure about the shipping tho.

http://www.ceriatone.com/
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
They are a Marshall clone maker based in Malaysia. You can either DIY the amp yourself or you can get the amp prebuilt.

They tend to have a lot of good reviews. Quite worth checking out IMO. You get a new amp at a fraction of the price, but I am not sure about the shipping tho.

http://www.ceriatone.com/

how exactly do u have the amp prebuilt? like if i wanted to have a plexi 50 lead head, how would that work?
the marshall will be plenty loud. i would go for it, but before you spend your money consider all your options. i've heard bad things reliably-wise about bugeras - they're cheap, and in music you get what you pay for. the marshall is the real deal, especially for ac/dc. look into other amps, you may fall in love with another one
50 watts might be a bit overkill, but definitely Ceriatones are great amps.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Page 1 of 2