This might seem like a fairly stupid question, but hear me out.

I have a BC Rich neck, and a SG style body. Neither are meant for each other. I am at the moment carefuly measuring to use the Neck Angle Calculator to find my required neck angle, but...what then? Do I simply clamp the two parts down, adjust the neck to the angle and then drill the screws in? Im sure that cant be what I have to do; it will leave a gap between the neck and the neck join pocket. Please try to explain in extremley simple terms what I must do; tis my first ever build.

Cheers!
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
predrill for the screws. Measure the thickness of your screw and subtract 1/8" or so (just enough so the screw holds tightly). Make sure your scale length is correct as well!
------

Shwiggity.
That makes alot of sense. So in doing that, it will hold? Thats all I need to do? No constructing of sloped and angled planes for the neck to rest on inside the neck pocket?
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
well, you may have to. take a ruler that'll span the length of the vibrating string, if it looks to be too high to fret properly, you'll have to increase the neck angle. Make sure the distance between the breaking edge of the vibrating string at the nut and the middle of the 12th fret is the same as the middle of the 12th fret to the breaking edge of the bridge.
------

Shwiggity.
So it would be better to make the neck shim at the correct angle rather than simply drill the neck into the neck pocket at the same angle? Im just wondering wether it will be worth the effort of constructing it or if I actually will need it.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
well, put the neck in the pocket and test. If you need it, you'll know. Don't drill until your neck's in the FINAL position it should be.

Pics of your project could help a little, as I'm not sure what bridge you're using.
------

Shwiggity.
A TOM as is why I need the angle. It might be in excess of 5 degrees. Im not sure im being clear enough about my other question. The neck DEFINETIALLY needs an angle, I've put them together and the strings are a mile off the fretboard. What I meant is if I drill the neck in WITHOUT the neck shim, but it IS on the correct angle, will it hold in place? Or do I NEED the angled and planed shim to hold the neck in place? Is merley drilling it in place without a sim enough?
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
you'll want the shim in there for drilling. there's no way you can hold the neck on the right angle and drill properly. better to be safe.
------

Shwiggity.
Ok then. Thankyou so much!
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref