1 volume, 1 tone

dual humbuckers, all wiring looks factory. back plate has been shielded (factory?)

gets worse when you touch strings, knobs, switch, bridge, etc.

I've checked all the wiring, ground connections, etc.

The guitar does it on all my amps.

Tried other cables.

when tone knob is rolled all the way back, hum is gone (sounds like crap, but hum is gone). gets unbearable with the tone knob turned all the way up.

The volume knob is scratchy.

It is an older guitar, but I'm stumped. Any ideas?
My amp hums by itself with enough gain/volume, could be the amount of volume, unless you have other guitars and they don't do it.

You said the volume knob is scratchy? Check Vol and Tone for dirt under the pots, if dirty, clean with some de-oxit.

What pickups? (Brand, series, etc.)
Quote by enselmis
Your pickups are microphonic. Deal with it!

Sry, actually I'm not sure what to do, that's just my prognosis.

microphonic isnt a hum its a full belted scream

but some equipment might be faulty and may need replacing like buy new pots for the tone and volume
replace the volume.

pots are cheap so if it keeps humming than you havent spent to much fixing it...
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
replace the volume.

pots are cheap so if it keeps humming than you havent spent to much fixing it...

Good idea. Well it sounds like a grounding issue to me. Have you checked your bridge? Otherwise might as well replace your pots. While your at it if it were me i'd get rid of my tone and replace it with a volume
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I have checked under the bridge, ground wire is still attached there. Looks like I might be doing some soldering this weekend...

EDIT:

Ordered a couple of mini pots, a new switch, and a new jack for $7 (including shipping). Gotta love ebay, I can't drive to radio shack for that price
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by blandguitar
make sure the pots are 24mm. i believe that's what are used on guitars.

you can use mini pots on guitars, i did because i was putting active pickups in mine and they were the only ones they had which were 25k.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
make sure your input jack is on the right way. when a friend of mine re-wired his guitar he put the jack on backwards and ended up with a hum that got worse when you touched them metal parts.
if you ground things by touching and the hum gets louder... I've seen this b4 when the grnd and live are backwards... but if it was normal and just started doing this... not sure.

are you missing the ground wire that should connect to the trem/bridge?

could also be a cold solder joint... look for spots were solder is real dull looking instead of looking like 'chrome'.

IMO, b4 you go buying new parts... cut the leads going to the vol and tie them as if in the 10 position (ie the 2 and 3 prong wires together)... this bypasses the vol... then listen.

cut leads going to tone and wire together like they would be at 10... then listen...

then cut p/u one lead and get some cheap clips and clip it directly to the output jack... then listen, then repeat w other p/u.

if this method doesn't bring you around to the answer - i dunno... blow the thing up and start over!
Last edited by mistermikev at Sep 16, 2009,
thanks for the help guys. i just went ahead and ordered the parts. with the volume knob being scratchy anyways I thought it would be best to just replace everything. Its an older guitar anyways.
Quote by eyebanez333
thanks for the help guys. i just went ahead and ordered the parts. with the volume knob being scratchy anyways I thought it would be best to just replace everything. Its an older guitar anyways.

sometimes the best way to get rid of gremlins is just to kill them by getting new stuff i find.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
sometimes the best way to get rid of gremlins is just to kill them by getting new stuff i find.

Agreed...and for $7...I'm not complaining

But if I rewire and solder the whole thing by myself and it still hums I'm going to be pissed
Quote by eyebanez333
Agreed...and for $7...I'm not complaining

But if I rewire and solder the whole thing by myself and it still hums I'm going to be pissed

well if that's the case then try replacing all the grounding wires to make sure it's not just one that's snapped or something (it's unlikely though)
EH

How old is it?

Might be worth hanging on to the parts you remove if it's collectible.
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
It's definitely resistance in the ground if you ground the guitar and the hum gets louder.

It could be anything from a bad solder joint to a bad pot, but the tech at our repair shop said that 9 times out of 10, replacing the output jack will fix the problem. Get a Switchcraft one. Pots can be touchy, but it's unlikely they'll go bad out of the blue. The scratchiness just means they need to be cleaned, which can be done with DeoxIT FaderLube or a similar contact lubricant or cleaner.

If you've already ordered the parts, you may be able to save them for another project.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer