I need advice.

I'm looking for a new amp. After years of playing guitar I need to upgrade my amp. I have a Crate RFX 65, and this thing just sucks. It's so bad that it has no re-sell value. I need to move up to a tube amp. My tone has always suffered because I'm too cheap to buy a decent amp. It's time to drastically improve my sound.

I play many different kinds of music. Some days I'm looking for a John Mayer blues tone (Hendrix/SRV), or a Strokes tone, or Wilco, or Hold Steady, loud distorted punk, or I'm looking for Jack White tones. I also need a great clean. Basically I need something somewhat versatile even though eventually I'll have to settle with "my" tone. I rarely play anything close to metal, so we can take that out of the equation.

I've been looking at Fender's Blues Junior or Blues Deluxe. I play live shows, record, and practice at home and I'm trying to decide which one will be better suited for these. I've also been thinking about the Epiphone Blues Custom (the guitarist of the Hold Steady uses it, so it can't be that bad.) I was also thinking about a Vox AC15, but I've heard that the build quality isn't too great.

Any suggestions?
(By the way, I play a tele with stock pickups and the only pedal I use is a Sparkle Drive, if that helps at all.)
Budget?
Gigging or just practice?

EDIT:
Vox AC15/30
Bugera V22/55
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Sep 15, 2009,
you've made some excellent choices. i've been looking at a blues junior as a band practice amp for a while now. i LOVE those amps. I would take it over the AC15, but the AC15 has one of the best clean sounds i've ever heard in my life. truly one of the best.

basically, out of those 2, take which ever is the better deal. they are both absolutely fantastic amps, and they'll never let you down.
Budget is preferably between $700-$1000, but I would spend more for quality. I don't need a $3000 amp, just something great sounding and dependable.
Quote by MacFamousKid
Budget is preferably between $700-$1000, but I would spend more for quality. I don't need a $3000 amp, just something great sounding and dependable.

well hell if you're willing to spend that much, then have a look at an AC30 or a fender Vibrolux/Vibroverb
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
oh man does that ever sound sweet. that thing is INSANELY loud though. probably too loud unless TS is going to be gigging large venues.

I just picked up a 63 re-issue with the brown tolex and 2x10. It sounds great at lower volumes too, but like any Fender Tube amp, the more you push it, the better it sounds. I guess 40 watts doesn't seem like that much after owning a Twin Reverb lol.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Quote by strat2finish
I just picked up a 63 re-issue with the brown tolex and 2x10. It sounds great at lower volumes too, but like any Fender Tube amp, the more you push it, the better it sounds. I guess 40 watts doesn't seem like that much after owning a Twin Reverb lol.

im terrified of twin reverbs lol. i only went for the deluxe. the twin is just way too much volume
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
im terrified of twin reverbs lol. i only went for the deluxe. the twin is just way too much volume

Yeah, it's a monster on a lot of levels. Incredible tone though, and unless you're playing to a couple thousand (not that I would know) you'll never have to mic it. I would never gig with it unless I was anyway cause the thing must weigh 100 pounds.

I experimented at a buddies house out in the woods one time, and we couldn't stand in front of it with the volume set over 6. You could feel the sound hitting you. Hearing loss never sounded so good.

The Vibroverb isn't nearly as loud, but it sounds so good (with a tube screamer in front of it) even at around 2. I'm thinking about running them at the same time, but I'm pretty sure my neighbors would kill me.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Quote by strat2finish
Yeah, it's a monster on a lot of levels. Incredible tone though, and unless you're playing to a couple thousand (not that I would know) you'll never have to mic it. I would never gig with it unless I was anyway cause the thing must weigh 100 pounds.

I experimented at a buddies house out in the woods one time, and we couldn't stand in front of it with the volume set over 6. You could feel the sound hitting you. Hearing loss never sounded so good.

The Vibroverb isn't nearly as loud, but it sounds so good (with a tube screamer in front of it) even at around 2. I'm thinking about running them at the same time, but I'm pretty sure my neighbors would kill me.

i experienced that same sensation with a friend's marshall 1959slp (rich bastard) standing in the same room as it with any sort of volume over 6 or 7 is like getting pummeled by a giant fist of sound.
A used JCM800 could be good
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i experienced that same sensation with a friend's marshall 1959slp (rich bastard) standing in the same room as it with any sort of volume over 6 or 7 is like getting pummeled by a giant fist of sound.

is it original?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...