I know this is a stupid question but I just got a guitar 1 week ago and while tuning my low e string snapped lol

anyways is there a center order on how the guitar strings are put ( .9, .10 etc...)?

Edit I meant high e string
Last edited by AGEstone at Sep 16, 2009,
The high e will be the smallest string and the low e will be the biggest.

Get a chromatic tuner and you shouldn't be snapping strings anymore when tuning.

Or do you have a locking nut & forgot to unlock it?
it goes by gauges
9 is usually the slinkiest and bad for down tuning
10s are good for half step down or some other tunings
and 11s and 12s are good for down tunings
thats generally it, of course some of em mix the light top heavy bottom, but i havent tried those
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
from biggest to smallest size on your guitar

standard tuning - EADGBe

biggest string is E. second biggest is A, etc.

make sure you have a tuner while your....tuning. also, make sure your not turning the high e tuning peg while your trying to tune the B peg. happens to the best of us
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Last edited by GODhimself37 at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by glam rocker
it goes by gauges
9 is usually the slinkiest and bad for down tuning
10s are good for half step down or some other tunings
and 11s and 12s are good for down tunings
thats generally it, of course some of em mix the light top heavy bottom, but i havent tried those

so you recommend 11s for the high and 12's the the next string up as good string since you can down/up tune?
well, 9's, 10's, 11's, etc. are typically just shorthand for the thickness of the high e. the b string will be significantly thicker than 9 or 10 etc. and the g string thicker than that by a good amount and so on. i believe the low e on my SG is something like a .46.

i hope that made sense.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
Quote by AGEstone
so you recommend 11s for the high and 12's the the next string up as good string since you can down/up tune?

ya it doesnt go like that. just buy a set of d'addarios (even though i hate them)

bcuz they color code the strings for where your supposed to put them. i guess to help beginners
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by AGEstone

First off, welcome to UG.

What kind of guitar do you have? (Make/Model/age)

What music do you play (or want to play?)

How long have you been playing?

Are you wanting to buy custom strings or just trying to figure out what size set to buy?

We'll need to know all this to be able to give you a truly helpful answer.
Quote by jetwash69
First off, welcome to UG.

Are you wanting to buy custom strings or just trying to figure out what size set to buy?

i just bought a laguna it's a beginners guitar pack :0
LE 122 Guitar

The Music i want to play is death metal/heavy metal

1 week i guess

I want to buy the strings that best suit the type of style of music i want to play.

Last edited by AGEstone at Sep 16, 2009,
This thread doesn't belong in GB&C.
There's no building or customizing involved. Just string gauges, etc.

I'll ask a Mod to move it to EG for you.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
OK,

You're best off starting with "9"s for your first set or 2 (3 - 6 months). While you build up the strenght in your fingers.

Then you can go up to "10"s. Don't recommend going higher than "10"s on a starter guitar unless you want to experiement with neck warpage. The laguna maybe better than most starters, but I don't know that the neck/truss rod could take more than "10"s.

If you wanna play drop D with lots of fast picking, you can eventually go with "9"s for the top 3 and "10s" for the bottom 3 strings. I.e., .09-e .11-A .16-d ,then .26-G .36-B .46-D. You can buy Earnie Ball custom guages at your local Guitar Center.

Soon you're gonna want 24 frets and a floyd rose trem anyway, so you'll need to find a Schecter, an LTD, a Jackson, or an Ibanez in a pawn shop probably within 6 to 9 months, depending on how dedicated you are. Lots of pawn shops in Vegas ;-)

You can do bigger strings on those heavier duty guitars (the ones that cost from $400 - $1,000 new), like "11"s, "12"s, or real "Skinny Top-Heavy Bottoms".

You can do Drop C with "10"s, but it won't be ideal.

Good luck.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 16, 2009,
Thanks jetwash69 really appreciate you taking the time to explain it really well.