Page 1 of 2
This thread is not intended to be a flame thread, or a "my opinion is better than yours" one.

Merely, an expression of opinions. So... lets get to the question:

What's the big deal with EMG's?

I've used a few, and I think that generally they sound generic. Infact, in many rigs, I see half of the effects devoted to bringing the digital sound of the EMG's back into analog sounds.

Is it the higher output? I get that. It's never been a problem for me, but I get it.

But in my honest opinion, a fat raunchy humbucker line in to an amp with a great distortion sounds better than EMG can get with anything.

And having to change batteries every month? That's just an unecessary waste imo. I don't have to change batteries in anything I have. Although I do have to change tubes occasionally.

Honestly, I just don't see it. Can anyone help me out?

Again, please don't flame. I want this to be a more-or-less educated discussion. I really want to know what you guys think, and I don't want it to be flagged and closed because of stupid arguements.

Thanks!
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Sep 16, 2009,
i think it depends on which set of EMG's you have, i have the 80/61 and i love em, the 61 gives a great lead tone.
Metallica is famous for EMGs in their endorsement (live) guitars, but it seems like their studio guitars are less likely to have EMGs...

At least for the albums where there's a lot of studio footage (i.e., Black album, St Anger, and DM).
Quote by Sean-R-Pruski
i think it depends on which set of EMG's you have, i have the 80/61 and i love em, the 61 gives a great lead tone.

I mean, I've tried the popular humbucker sets...

Like the 81/85 and the 80/61 set that's in the Jim Root telecaster (I think it's 80/61)

And they sound too generic, like your average Ibanez stock. Something I wouldn't pay an extra $30 per pup for.

I think it's just a fad.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Personally, I find that my pinch harmonics have a better sound to them when I'm playing my ESP EC-500 with the 61/80 set than my passive Schecter Stealth. I think its mainly about playing styles and opinions though.
Quote by JAustinMunn

Like the 81/85 and the 80/61 set that's in the Jim Root telecaster (I think it's 80/61)

And they sound too generic, like your average Ibanez stock. Something I wouldn't pay an extra $30 per pup for.

I think it's just a fad.

Pickups realy dont have that much tonaly difference between them - just output and quality mainly. The magnet also makes a difference and the configuration etc. But like all they realy do is transfer the string vibrations into sound via a lead and amplifier. Its just how well they do this with like no breakup etc, and with how much output they do it, that makes the difference.

I have the EMG 81/85 set, and i love it. No noise, high output, realy reactive, crisp tone. all round 10/10, but it is personal opinion.
Quote by shredder408
Pickups realy dont have that much tonaly difference between them - just output and quality mainly. The magnet also makes a difference and the configuration etc. But like all they realy do is transfer the string vibrations into sound via a lead and amplifier. Its just how well they do this with like no breakup etc, and with how much output they do it, that makes the difference.

I have the EMG 81/85 set, and i love it. No noise, high output, realy reactive, crisp tone. all round 10/10, but it is personal opinion.

But all of the variables you listed DO effect tonality. Your pickups have an initial amount of Treble, Mid, and Bass to them. Not to mention the output and quality like you said.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Please tell me how you fit 1000-3000 hours (about time for battery to become useless for an EMG) into a month?
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Last edited by Balmazer at Sep 16, 2009,
for the longest time i had my 60a in the bridge and 81 in the neck and i liked that combo! last string change i swapped em and that 60 is too muddy in the neck and the 81 has a ****ty clean sound (in my opinion). next string change which should be within 2 weeks, its gonna be 60a bridge and my 85 @ neck. i honestly havent owned guitars with different pups so i cant compare YET. i have a SD dimebucker and a full shred that are coming out of a blue jackson v and into my explorer so ill get good prac time with those. and today i traded the blue V for a new ibanez with 2 Dimarzio activators, so ill get some good comparisons here. I can tell you the 60a has made a great bridge pup, but ill see just how well i like it in the coming months/weeks.

by the way, if anyone has tried both the 60 ceramic and the 60a and can tell me the differences, please do. never owned or heard a regular 60. thanks

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by jetwash69
Metallica is famous for EMGs in their endorsement (live) guitars, but it seems like their studio guitars are less likely to have EMGs...

At least for the albums where there's a lot of studio footage (i.e., Black album, St Anger, and DM).

I'm pretty sure they've got EMGs in all of their guitars.
Quote by JAustinMunn
This thread is not intended to be a flame thread, or a "my opinion is better than yours" one.

I've used a few, and I think that generally they sound generic. Infact, in many rigs, I see half of the effects devoted to bringing the digital sound of the EMG's back into analog sounds.

Is it the higher output? I get that. It's never been a problem for me, but I get it.

But in my honest opinion, a fat raunchy humbucker line in to an amp with a great distortion sounds better than EMG can get with anything.

And having to change batteries every month? That's just an unecessary waste imo. I don't have to change batteries in anything I have. Although I do have to change tubes occasionally.

Again, please don't flame. I want this to be a more-or-less educated discussion. I really want to know what you guys think, and I don't want it to be flagged and closed because of stupid arguements.

Thanks!

I've only changed the battery in my EMGs once, in three years.

EMGs and other active pickups can't sound 'digital', there's nothing digital in their signal path, just a small, analog preamp. Transistors =/= digital.

There's passive pickups that match the level of output that most actives have. People generally choose active pickups because they're low noise or to stay strong over a huge signal chain or because they like the tone, there's lots of good classic tones made with each, they're both good, just different.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by JAustinMunn

I think it's just a fad.

I wouldn't say they sound generic...especially not like a stock ibanez pup. It all depends on your rig...if you have the right equipment, than the EMGs will really shine. I feel bad for the kid who buys the Zakk Wylde set and expects to sound exactly like him on an MG 15 with the pups in an epiphone.

EMG is a very established and storied pickup brand- to call their use "a fad" is just plain wrong. Their 81 and 85's have been around since 1979.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by JAustinMunn
I think it's just a fad.

It's a 30 year old fad, I guess.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I use a single coil S and SA along with my 81. The singles are really good IMO. (so is the 81) We had a gig tonight and 60% of the time I was using the SA
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 16, 2009,
Different strokes for different folks, I mean we could go and discuss why they sound good to some people but not others but then we'd just forget all the other parts like what rig we play through, what eq setting we use, what we want to 'hear', what our ears detect, etc etc. and we'd end up going around in circles and starting the discussion all over again
Quote by shredder408

Seriously? Different magnets, wires, and amount of winds makes a huge difference in tone. Thus the overwound vs underwound PAF.

EMG's have a completely different tone, but it shines through best through a great guitar and a great amp and a great EQ.
I personally don't like Actives, but part of that is because my amp sucks and couldn't handle it the right way.
Quote by Alex Vik
I'm pretty sure they've got EMGs in all of their guitars.

Check out Some kind of Monster, a Year and a Half with Metallica Part I, or the studio footage from Deathmagnetic on Youtube. More ofen than not, they're playing Gibsons with regular pickups. They even play some single coil Fenders, including Telecasters. Sure, they have ESP knock offs of LPs, Explorers, and Strats, but they also have the real deals, too. The guys own well over 600 guitars and lots (if not most) of them don't have EMGs. But it seems like usually they do use EMGs on stage.
Well part of that reason is because in the studio theyre plugged straight in to recording units with modellers. Whereas live they use heads and cabs i believe. Plus the guitars they use in the studio are like their own 10-15yr old guitars.

Ive personally found emgs great for live work as with the 18v mod the pups seriously get pushed. But its each to their own really
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by JAustinMunn
Okay...

Quote by JAustinMunn

"What's the big deal?" That sounds dismissive, right out of the gate...

Quote by JAustinMunn
I've used a few, and I think that generally they sound generic.
"Generic" is actually a useful description. The frequency response of EMGs tends to be more flat and even. Less of a sharp characteristic peak in the treble found in most passives. They are more "neutral"

This is actually more easily manageable than most passives, if you know how to work with them. For many tastes, they're just what the doctor ordered.
Quote by JAustinMunn
Infact, in many rigs, I see half of the effects devoted to bringing the digital sound of the EMG's back into analog sounds.
*In fact

*insert pear here*

EMGs are not digital in any way, shape or form.

Quote by JAustinMunn
They have a strong output, but some passives are comparable.

More important than the high output is the flatter response curve and the lower hum and noise an EMG can provide, due to its low output impedance.

Further, they are nearly impervious to low quality, high capacitance cables. No need for ridiculously high priced cables here. The low impedance output of an active pickup won't lose high frequency response the way a passive pickup will.

And they don't need treble bleed caps to keep the treble from rolling off severely with reduced volume the way passives do.
Quote by JAustinMunn
"line in"? lolwut?

Opinions vary. Some prefer solid state amps to tube amps. Some prefer high gain preamp distortion to push-pull power amp distortion.

Bottom line, if you like it for what you're doing, fine.
But others have opinions that are just as valid.

Quote by JAustinMunn
*unnecessary

Batteries don't need to be changed every month.
Try every 6 months, genius.
Typical current drain using an EMG is 80 microAmps. 9volt Alkaline batteries are good for about 625 miliAmp-hours.

625 mAh / 0.160mA (calculating for 2 pickups) = 3906 hours
3906 hr / 24 = 163 days
163 days / 31 = 5.3 months.

So a battery would last nearly 6 months, even if a dumbass left his guitar plugged in 24/7.

Quote by JAustinMunn
Of course you don't see it. Your eyes are closed. And I'm quite sure your mind was made up ahead of time. I sincerely doubt anyone will be able to help you.

Quote by JAustinMunn

Thanks!
*arguments

I call bullshit. The language in your OP is quite convincing that you already have your mind made up and you think YOUR opinion trumps all.

You've some of your suppositions on FALSE information. Your rhetoric is dismissive.

I thoroughly enjoy playing through passives, both PAFs and Single Coils.
I play clean, through a '60s tube amp.
No pedals.
No effects at all.
It works for me, and what I choose to do.

But I would NEVER be so pretentious as to make a thread with crap like "digital sound" or "unnecessary waste" or "better than EMG can get with anything" when comparing actives to passives.

Actives have some VERY strong advantages over passives.
But those advantages aren't important for what I do.
However, some people WILL find those advantages very important for what they do.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I dont really know what the deal with active pups is anyway, all they have is a buffer/preamp circuit with low output pickups. Its after the preamp stage that their output shoots up cause its amplified. Anyway, you could take a set of passive humbuckers and make your own preamp/buffer circuit to get that sort of output. It woudnt be the same, but essentially the same idea.

I did try a guitar out with (an ESP I think) with the 60-81 combo (could've been the 85 combo), but it did sound good. They do have something of an extra edge to them... would get them I guess if the mods dont work out...
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Quote by jetwash69
Check out Some kind of Monster, a Year and a Half with Metallica Part I, or the studio footage from Deathmagnetic on Youtube. More ofen than not, they're playing Gibsons with regular pickups. They even play some single coil Fenders, including Telecasters. Sure, they have ESP knock offs of LPs, Explorers, and Strats, but they also have the real deals, too. The guys own well over 600 guitars and lots (if not most) of them don't have EMGs. But it seems like usually they do use EMGs on stage.

on 'st anger' kirks recording guitar was an anderson with passive pickups for a majority of the album for example. One is played (live and stuido) with one of his custom guitars seen in the film clip (strat style with locking nut an stuff, realy wierd but i want one :P)
I have played 1000s of guitars in the 38 years I have been playing with both active and passives and I prefer passive pick ups over actives by far. I just do not see a huge advantage to actives. When I had my 70s vintage full stack a Marshall JMP100 with a 1960 A and B tube cabs I still used my EH Big Muff Pi and got an awesome sound with passives even better than when I used actives.

I own several guitars with either EMGs or other active pups even one of my bass guitars has actives but I got them because the price and style of the guitar not what it had for pups. It's all personal preference but a lot of people seem to be swayed by what their favorite guitarist might be using at the time or what some friend or other guitarist says.

John
Actives are the same as any other pickup. Your results depend on your entire rig. The main thing that actives offer is low impedance to for long cable runs. It also provides lower noise. But EMGs have scooped mids and are very compressed and articulate. It remains clear even when you use a ridiculous amount of gain. That's why they're mainly used for metal and heavier music. The amps that benefit the most from actives are very expensive. You'll only like EMGs if it suits your musical style and the rest of your rig. That's also true of single coils. Other actives like Blackouts try to "cure" those qualities of EMGs. But I honestly don't see the point because there are passives that'll do what Blackouts do. I think Blackouts are for people who already have EMGs in their guitar but who want something different without completely changing their electronics. EMGs are great if you use them properly. That's why they're the most popular pickups in metal.
i really like using EMGs mainly for the sustain they can provide. ive got a few other guitars with passives, and while they still have a strong attack, the sustain is not as strong. then again that varies greatly on the guitar, but still my LP and Flying V that have them are my favorite guitars to play just from the sound i get from them
NOPE
I like the signal clarity from my emg's since they come through all the processing from my rig.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Okay...

Big wall of good information

so much for TS' opinion
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
<3 SomeoneYouKnew

David Gilmore used EMG single coils to great effect on some of Pink Floyd's work, and I even use EMGs for Jazz. They are usable in much more than just your typical metal sound. It's all about what you are looking for in your tone.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Okay...

"What's the big deal?" That sounds dismissive, right out of the gate...

"Generic" is actually a useful description. The frequency response of EMGs tends to be more flat and even. Less of a sharp characteristic peak in the treble found in most passives. They are more "neutral"

This is actually more easily manageable than most passives, if you know how to work with them. For many tastes, they're just what the doctor ordered.
*In fact

*insert pear here*

EMGs are not digital in any way, shape or form.

They have a strong output, but some passives are comparable.

More important than the high output is the flatter response curve and the lower hum and noise an EMG can provide, due to its low output impedance.

Further, they are nearly impervious to low quality, high capacitance cables. No need for ridiculously high priced cables here. The low impedance output of an active pickup won't lose high frequency response the way a passive pickup will.

And they don't need treble bleed caps to keep the treble from rolling off severely with reduced volume the way passives do.
"line in"? lolwut?

Opinions vary. Some prefer solid state amps to tube amps. Some prefer high gain preamp distortion to push-pull power amp distortion.

Bottom line, if you like it for what you're doing, fine.
But others have opinions that are just as valid.

*unnecessary

Batteries don't need to be changed every month.
Try every 6 months, genius.
Typical current drain using an EMG is 80 microAmps. 9volt Alkaline batteries are good for about 625 miliAmp-hours.

625 mAh / 0.160mA (calculating for 2 pickups) = 3906 hours
3906 hr / 24 = 163 days
163 days / 31 = 5.3 months.

So a battery would last nearly 6 months, even if a dumbass left his guitar plugged in 24/7.

Of course you don't see it. Your eyes are closed. And I'm quite sure your mind was made up ahead of time. I sincerely doubt anyone will be able to help you.

*arguments

I call bullshit. The language in your OP is quite convincing that you already have your mind made up and you think YOUR opinion trumps all.

You've some of your suppositions on FALSE information. Your rhetoric is dismissive.

I thoroughly enjoy playing through passives, both PAFs and Single Coils.
I play clean, through a '60s tube amp.
No pedals.
No effects at all.
It works for me, and what I choose to do.

But I would NEVER be so pretentious as to make a thread with crap like "digital sound" or "unnecessary waste" or "better than EMG can get with anything" when comparing actives to passives.

Actives have some VERY strong advantages over passives.
But those advantages aren't important for what I do.
However, some people WILL find those advantages very important for what they do.

If my mind were made up, I would probably have just made a flame post. I honestly wanted to see what the appeal was. What I didn't need was some arrogant prick telling me exactly how I was wrong. That's exactly the sort of thing I was trying to prevent.

Even going so far as to correct my spelling? Maybe if this were a newspaper room, I would've appreciated that. Not that I don't like improving my spelling, but it's simply a sign of arrogance and exists only to demean me.

But, after reading many of these posts, I'm starting to see. They still don't seem like my cup of tea, but it's nice to see that people aren't just using them because Metallica and Zakk Wylde do.

While I see the advantages, I think that from the invention of the electric guitar, passives have worked and have provided some of the most renowned tones. While tone is subjective, the EMG tone is not what I aim to achieve. I'm not trying to say that I'm right or you're wrong, this is just what I believe.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Sep 17, 2009,
I have my C-1 FR Hellraiser and it has the EMG's in it. I didn't get it for the EMG's, however, after having played on them for a while now I do really like them. Before I got my guitar I read all these people saying they're terrible for cleans blah blah only good for metal. The truth is, I play a wide variety of stuff and play with a wide variety of tones ranging from clean to all the way to metal and the pickups do not disappoint me in any setting.
Fender USA Stratocaster HSS
Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 321mh
Fender Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100
Line 412 cab V 30's
Quote by JAustinMunn
If my mind were made up, I would probably have just made a flame post. I honestly wanted to see what the appeal was. What I didn't need was some arrogant prick telling me exactly how I was wrong. That's exactly the sort of thing I was trying to prevent.

Even going so far as to correct my spelling? Maybe if this were a newspaper room, I would've appreciated that. Not that I don't like improving my spelling, but it's simply a sign of arrogance and exists only to demean me.

But, after reading many of these posts, I'm starting to see. They still don't seem like my cup of tea, but it's nice to see that people aren't just using them because Metallica and Zakk Wylde do.

While I see the advantages, I think that from the invention of the electric guitar, passives have worked and have provided some of the most renowned tones. While tone is subjective, it's not what I aim to achieve. I'm not trying to say that I'm right or you're wrong, this is just what I believe.

Then... don't use EMGs? Not to be rude, but I really don't see the point of this thread. If you don't need EMGs, don't use them. Other people will get a better sound for their style of music and playing than you.

Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I can see the appeal of an active pickup- less string pull, lower noise, boost right at the guitar for OD/driving long effects chains, etc-
However, they don't ring* the way passive pickups do, which for me is a bit of a dealbreaker. In some situations they sound great, but the preamp or the pickup design seems to take a little expressiveness out of the equation. If I had ten guitars, I'd put EMGs in one of them for some flavor and because a 60 in the neck sounds cool sometimes, but I just don't find them all that special unless you're playing chugga chugga all the time and need "that" sound.

* Not a good explanation, but there's something very one-dimensional sounding to them.
I'm not sure if generic is the best word for them... the thing is that they're kind of unique in their sound but by nature just have this very balanced, somewhat sterile tone. I don't know what it is, but you listen to an EMG loaded guitar and you just know it's got EMGs. I certainly wouldn't ever put them in my guitars, I like a certain style of pickup that is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, but different strokes for different folks.
Quote by Roc8995
I can see the appeal of an active pickup- less string pull, lower noise, boost right at the guitar for OD/driving long effects chains, etc-
However, they don't ring* the way passive pickups do, which for me is a bit of a dealbreaker. In some situations they sound great, but the preamp or the pickup design seems to take a little expressiveness out of the equation. If I had ten guitars, I'd put EMGs in one of them for some flavor and because a 60 in the neck sounds cool sometimes, but I just don't find them all that special unless you're playing chugga chugga all the time and need "that" sound.

* Not a good explanation, but there's something very one-dimensional sounding to them.

Quote by al112987
I'm not sure if generic is the best word for them... the thing is that they're kind of unique in their sound but by nature just have this very balanced, somewhat sterile tone. I don't know what it is, but you listen to an EMG loaded guitar and you just know it's got EMGs. I certainly wouldn't ever put them in my guitars, I like a certain style of pickup that is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, but different strokes for different folks.

I used to hear this a lot from people as a downside.

If anything I think one of the EMG's greatest strengths is that fact that it's tone isn't as set as a lot of passives I've played. My EMG's sound way different when I play them compared with a friend of mine, we worked that out trading a guitar back and forth a lot during studio sessions (same amp and settings).

EMG's seem to pick up a lot of subtle differences in a players style and accent them a lot more than a passive pickup will.

People may disagree with me but that's just my personal assessment of it after playing them for a few years.

All that being said I actually prefer using the SD's in my Jackson ... but that could be because they have a much nicer guitar wrapped around them.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by JAustinMunn
You certainly failed hard on that attempt, Junior. When you make an OP and include rhetoric that PROVES how biased you are, an arrogant prick like me is sure to wave it in your face.

Quote by JAustinMunn
Not only, but it certainly does accomplish that.

In addition to the spelling lessons, perhaps you also learned the value of a little research. That dookie about monthly battery changes could have been easily avoided with the tiniest bit of reading on your part.

Quote by JAustinMunn
Some are using them just because of the use by noteworthy artists. EMG has Zach Wilde and Kerry King signature sets to capitalize on that kind of mentality. This is true whether active or passive pickups are involved. Manufacturers cash in on fanboys who want to emulate their heroes.

But some people actually analyze their own needs and choose products that more easily allow them to accomplish their goals.

Quote by JAustinMunn
While I see the advantages, I think that from the invention of the electric guitar, passives have worked and have provided some of the most renowned tones. While tone is subjective, it's not what I aim to achieve. I'm not trying to say that I'm right or you're wrong, this is just what I believe.
Good.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You certainly failed hard on that attempt, Junior. When you make an OP and include rhetoric that PROVES how biased you are, an arrogant prick like me is sure to wave it in your face.

In addition to the spelling lessons, perhaps you also learned the value of a little research. That dookie about monthly battery changes could have been easily avoided with the tiniest bit of reading on your part.

Some are using them just because of the use by noteworthy artists. EMG has Zach Wilde and Kerry King signature sets to capitalize on that kind of mentality. This is true whether active or passive pickups are involved. Manufacturers cash in on fanboys who want to emulate their heroes.

But some people actually analyze their own needs and choose products that more easily allow them to accomplish their goals.

It's "Zakk Wylde." That is his stage name, and it should be spelled accordingly.

My inital rhetoric was put there to show my view point, and yes, my bias. The point is, I wanted to learn why there was such a large appeal. I welcome any and all people who can sway my "resolve."

Research about the batteries? How could I prove my bias with proper research? Word of mouth and gross exaggerations are the HEART and SOUL of forums. You would know and accept that if you could pull the stick out of your ass. Besides, what do I have to go on except the horror stories I've heard from local musicians? I believe it was Emily Dickenson that said, "Tell the truth, but with a slant." Paraphrased of course, but you get it... I hope.

While it's true that capitalism runs rampant in the guitar universe with various signature _______, it just seemed more-so to me as far as EMG's were concerned. I myself own Steve Vai's signature pickups, but I truly believe that they are different and priced modestly to boot. With EMG's, it just seems that I can get an 81/85 set, or I can get the Zakk Wylde signature 81/85 set. Or I can get the Kerry King 81/85 set with a volume boost.

Some people buy items for their own needs and goals. True. Great. I can only pray that that becomes the paradigm. Call me cynical, but it seems like too many of guitarists are teenagers who pick up a guitar trying to be Kirk Hammett, and will buy anything with his name slapped to it. And with Zakk Wylde, and especially with Dimebag Darrell.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
EMGs are designed for high gain use, thats as simple as it is. Obviously you're not going to get an amazingly good jazz tone from an 81, but why would you try to?

TC I get where you're coming from but it just sounds to me like you're convinced that EMGs are somehow "bad" pickups when thats not the case. Obviously they're not for you, but as the artists and sales figures show, they work amazingly well for a huge number of people because they're a quality piece of gear.
I love my LTD more after I put EMGs in it. *shrugs*
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Good.

WUTADOOSH. Spell check that.

Im gonna start doin layaway for a shcecter 006 with active emgs in it. Couldn't tell ya which ones. But they are wicked awesome.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
I actually get a pertty nice clean tone out of my 81 81 set up. I dont really think EMG's sound generic, thats just talk like the beleif that the spider 3 is the worst amp ever designed. I mean, they have there own unique sound with each and every guitar, its just most people play the same type of guitar with the same exact set up with the exact same distortion, thearfore it sounds generic. Have you ever tried using your EMG's for blues through a Blues amp, or for classic rock through a classic rock amp? They actually sound pertty good.

But everyown accosiates EMG's with metal, which is why everyone thinks there generic sounding, if you try using them for something else, they sound completely different. Its like with anykind of pickup, it takes on the sound of how you play, not the genera you play.
Quote by JAustinMunn

Oh so he can't correct your spelling but you can correct other peoples grammatical errors in other threads? I think not.

Don't think I forgot about you in another thread ripping on people for errors.

Seems like you like to dish it but can't take it.

Anyways......I prefer Passive, its all presonal pref. I don't care for the EMG's except for the Gilmoure ones. All the "metal" ones just seem to all sound pretty much the same....and I wil tell you again...I am not tone deaf (spelled it right this time)

It just when I play on my passives you can control the volume of the attack better. If I pick soft it sounds soft, if I pick hard it sounds hard, when I had my 81/85 combo no matter how hard I attcked the strings the sound always came out the same volume and i think it is in part due to the fact that EMGs have the pre-amp built in to them.

I don't hate them, I just prefer my Passives. I would like to give the new EMG passives a try though to see how they sound.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Page 1 of 2