results of a survey from 50 students indicate that 30 like red jelly beans , 29 like green jelly beans , 17 like both. How many students only red jelly beans

w...t..f
Last edited by Nirvana_RATM2 at Sep 16, 2009,
I'm not actually a troll man I've been here a hell of a lot longer than you for one. I just happen to need math help because tonight Im working a crap load of math I suck at. So if you have no input leave stupid '08 er
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
I'm not actually a troll man I've been here a hell of a lot longer than you for one. I just happen to need math help because tonight Im working a crap load of math I suck at. So if you have no input leave stupid '08 er

I've been here long enough not to make two threads on the same damn thing.
Quote by Tire Me.
I've been here long enough not to make two threads on the same damn thing.

Well you haven't been long enough to tell me what a troll is, I'll just delete the old topic. Big F'n deal.
each person can like more than one. simple as that

subtract 17 from each of the red and the green numbers
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Sep 16, 2009,
wait, sure you got the numbers right? if yes, then the question is borked.

and altitudinous is wrong - what happens when you add the red to the both instead?

basically, the 30 red likers includes the people who like both - ie just because they like green doesnt mean that they dont like red.
so of the 30 who like red, 17 of them also like green. and vice versa, of the 29 who like green, 17 also like red

but there is some error with the numbers
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith

and altitudinous is wrong

thats what I don't understand the green and red numbers should equal 50 , not 59!
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
thats what I don't understand the green and red numbers should equal 50 , not 59!

there is overlap between the people who like red and the people who like green because if they like one, it doesnt mean they cant like the other
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith

and altitudinous is wrong - what happens when you add the red to the both instead?

basically, the 30 red likers includes the people who like both - ie just because they like green doesnt mean that they dont like red.
so of the 30 who like red, 17 of them also like green. and vice versa, of the 29 who like green, 17 also like red

but there is some error with the numbers

Ah you're right! Damn me and my late night brain. Sorry TS, i guess i have nothing for you. maybe the teacher will give you an A for lulz if you just write FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
I was thinking that it's 13? because 30 people like red 17 of them for SURE like green... fml lol
so 13 only like red , 29 like green...still that doesn't take into account the fact that 50 kids where surveyed...
it depends on the survey

it could be
option A: RED B: GREEN C: BOTH

or

A: RED B: GREEN but you're allowed to check both
makes a huge difference
just skip it.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
so 13 only like red , 29 like green...still that doesn't take into account the fact that 50 kids where surveyed...

dumb. your wrong.
I don't really think calling someone dumb in a thread where Im ASKING for help is quite intelligent but anyways. Care to explain more then your theory then?
30-17=13 for just red
29-17=12 for just green
17 for both

but 13+12+17=42 which is why i said the question was borked. unless 8 like none, then it works. technically you ARE allowed to do that (universal set with 2 circle venn diagram blah blahblah blah)
thats usually how to do those sort of questions
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
That's what confused me as well is the fact that they add to 42. I hadn't really thought of the possibility of people liking none , i'm not sure if thats what the instructor intended for us to see? We'll see tomorrow because logically that does make sense.
maybe you can wow some people (though i wouldnt exactly put money on that, its been two years since ive touched that stuff)
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
hahaha I'll just go in and sound extra confident " Well you must take into account the fact that 8 individuals surveyed may perhaps decided they like neither resulting in the 42 we see who like red,green or both of the colors. It becomes simple math from here my friends 42 plus 8 , and we have 50"...

and then I'm sure the instructor will explain how horribly fail we are!

But thanks a lot for the help bro'!
no probs mate, shout out if you need anything else

and the 42 would probably be the first thing to explain
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith
30-17=13 for just red
29-17=12 for just green
17 for both

but 13+12+17=42 which is why i said the question was borked. unless 8 like none, then it works. technically you ARE allowed to do that (universal set with 2 circle venn diagram blah blahblah blah)
thats usually how to do those sort of questions

this man is entirely correct.

13 like just red.
12 like just green
17 like both.
8 like neither (that'd be me I hate jellybeans)
It's just a terribly phrased question.