I posted a little bit in the blackheart thread about this.

I want to downsize to a 15 watt for convenience and so I can crank more in a band practice and small venues.

Im really leaning towards the Handsome Devil, but all the reviews Ive read have been sorta biased and just like "Yeah its awsome!" Ive only read one review that said its missing the nice bottom end. So can anyone give me better insight..?

Im looking for a british sound and have ruled out fender stuff.

Has anyone played the new Carvin Vintage 15 or the Epiphone valve senior...? They look similar to the HD. Its hard for me to try before I buy because I live in a small town.

Thanks
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
What's your budget?
You could find a used AC15 pretty cheap. The Handsome Devil was good, but I only played it for 5 min so don't take my advice on it.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Well, going off your Avatar/message thing, have you checked out those 18watt ceriatone Marshall clones?

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BS36watt/36wattComplete.htm Or how about that, it's 36watts, but it's got a Master volume by the looks of it.

Edit: And because they do mods, you could probably get them to do it like 18 or 9 watts.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Sep 16, 2009,
orange tiny terror. awesome british tone, and changable between 7w and 15w and it comes in a head only or a combo.
Quote by Dr.feelgud
orange tiny terror. awesome british tone, and changable between 7w and 15w and it comes in a head only or a combo.

I wouldn't.
The gain is really muddy when cranked, partially because it only has one tone knob, not three like pretty much all other amps.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
not to be promoting the Fender Champ XD series or anything, and i know you said you ruled out any fenders. However, I have the Vibro Champ and the Super Champ XD is the 15 watt version and you would be amazingly surprised as to how good it sounds, and the setup they have on there for british amps is pretty damn good to say the least. Somehow fender pulled off taking an all tube amp and then added some great tone voicing to it to make it really have killer tones. just my two cents worth though. Although i have heard many good things about the blackheart as well.
--Zeppedled--

Gibson Les Paul
Danelectro DC-59
Fender Acoustic 12-Strg
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Vibro Champ XD
Fender Ultimate Chorus (non Digi effects version)
Line 6 Tone Port UX-1
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm in the USA btw. Budget is around, $400-500 (kinda depends on if my current amp sells) Do you know how the Laney LC15 compares to the VC15 and the Blackheart...? I was checkin out used online, the VC is too expensive, but a used LC is cheaper then the blackheart. I dont really need an end all tone monster. Just somthing reliable that will last me untill I finish up college.
VOX night train? Although it maybe cheaper to just go with the AC15 unless you have a cabinet already.
Quote by GuitarNinja12
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm in the USA btw. Budget is around, $400-500 (kinda depends on if my current amp sells) Do you know how the Laney LC15 compares to the VC15 and the Blackheart...? I was checkin out used online, the VC is too expensive, but a used LC is cheaper then the blackheart. I dont really need an end all tone monster. Just somthing reliable that will last me untill I finish up college.

Imo:
VC15 > LC15 > Blackheart

The VC15 has the least gain, but the highest tone quality imo. The Blackheart has little drive, and imo sounds a tad muddy and has a brittle top end. The LC15 has the same tonal weaknesses, but it's got more drive, so you can do stuff up to hard rock if you want, while the Blackheart and VC15 are for the bluesman who likes occasional rock. Naturally, they can all be boosted for more gain. They all like pedals.

I'd go for a VC15 out of these three.
The Tiny Terror isn't so great imo - fizzy, muddy, unpleasant. If it was cheaper it'd be okay, but it's too dear for what it offers imo.

Now if you don't need cleans much and have a cab, look at this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Night-Train-NT15H-15W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=581333
Absolutely lovely tone. All the smoothness the VC15 has to offer (though admittedly this one sounds a lot different - just saying they're both high quality) with a lot more drive to it.

If cleans are more important though, maybe a used AC15?
The Laney looks good. I'll look around for one. I've become a strong believer of "try before you buy" after buying my last amp blind. But its hard in this town. The Vox Night train looks nice too. Does anyone know if a combo version will come out..? I'm aiming for simplicity.
You could also check out the Bugera V22. They're a steal right now.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Well, now I think I'll just sell my amp and not buy another right away after all. I'll just wait and save. My little 5watt will actually cut it at band practice for now. Right now I'm competing with a bass and a cajone. No drums. I'll get an amp when we start gigging.
Quote by GuitarNinja12
The Laney looks good. I'll look around for one. I've become a strong believer of "try before you buy" after buying my last amp blind. But its hard in this town. The Vox Night train looks nice too. Does anyone know if a combo version will come out..? I'm aiming for simplicity.

As far as I know, there are no plans for a combo. It's an incredible amp. It was designed by Tony Bruno, who builds incredible PTP boutique amps and designed the handwired AC30s from a few years ago.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Check what price the Epiphone Blues Custom is in the U.S. They seem to be going fairly cheap everywhere. It's also 15/30w switchable and tube rectified. I think I would prefer this over the Valve Senior, tbh. Although that's hypothetical.

As others have said, the Laney VC15 is a great choice too.
Quote by TheQuailman
Imo:
VC15 > LC15 > Blackheart

The VC15 has the least gain, but the highest tone quality imo. The Blackheart has little drive, and imo sounds a tad muddy and has a brittle top end. The LC15 has the same tonal weaknesses, but it's got more drive, so you can do stuff up to hard rock if you want, while the Blackheart and VC15 are for the bluesman who likes occasional rock. Naturally, they can all be boosted for more gain. They all like pedals.

I'd go for a VC15 out of these three.
The Tiny Terror isn't so great imo - fizzy, muddy, unpleasant. If it was cheaper it'd be okay, but it's too dear for what it offers imo.

Now if you don't need cleans much and have a cab, look at this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Night-Train-NT15H-15W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=581333
Absolutely lovely tone. All the smoothness the VC15 has to offer (though admittedly this one sounds a lot different - just saying they're both high quality) with a lot more drive to it.

If cleans are more important though, maybe a used AC15?

And those of us who love great cleans, or want to plug in some Fuzz.

TBH, my VC15 has better cleans then my friend's AC15 [which was played through an Alnico Blue speaker. The VC15, however, sounded even better when I plugged it into that speaker]

It also works rather well with distortion pedals as well [won't have a lot of bass though, and I did mess with my speaker to get a better tone with the pedal].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 17, 2009,
Quote by GuitarNinja12
Well, now I think I'll just sell my amp and not buy another right away after all. I'll just wait and save. My little 5watt will actually cut it at band practice for now. Right now I'm competing with a bass and a cajone. No drums. I'll get an amp when we start gigging.

This might be the smartest thing I have heard a TS say in a new amp thread ever. Mad props for making an intelligent, responsible financial decision to wait and save so you can get something better because of the lack of immediate need
Quote by GuitarNinja12
I was checkin out used online, the VC is too expensive, but a used LC is cheaper then the blackheart. I dont really need an end all tone monster. Just somthing reliable that will last me untill I finish up college.
I have an LC15 and a SCXD. I'd go for the SCXD before the LC. Might as well throw a Pro Jr in the mix.
One question about the Laney VC, I read a lot of reviews and the majority of them discuss poor reliability issues and overheating. Can anyone give me some insight on this..?

Quote by laxduck
This might be the smartest thing I have heard a TS say in a new amp thread ever. Mad props for making an intelligent, responsible financial decision to wait and save so you can get something better because of the lack of immediate need

Quote by GuitarNinja12
One question about the Laney VC, I read a lot of reviews and the majority of them discuss poor reliability issues and overheating. Can anyone give me some insight on this..?

Well, I'm not sure on the newer VCs, but some older ones did have an Output Transformer problem .
My VC has been fine for over a year *touch wood*

TBH, it's not worth worrying about. The amp is great, and is not worth not getting for worry over a small problem.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO