i have a jcm 900 4102 dual reverb combo. i can get a good hard rock gain level out of it but it cant quite reach shred territory (what i play most). when i turn on my overdrive pedal i find that it ruins the sound. specifically, the sound becomes harsher, looser, has less of low end, is far muddier as well as 'fuzzing out' too easily.

my overdrive pedal is the blackstar ht-distortion with the gain on 0.5 and the level all the way up.

how could i overcome this problem? is it that my overdrive pedal isnt an overdrive pedal? or that my amp doesnt take overdrive pedals well? or maybe that i dont like the sound that an overdrive pedal makes for high gain?
You just happen to have a pedal that colours the tone much;

It's funny, cause I have a JCM 900 myself, and use a boss SD-1 in front of it to boost, it which also takes out some low end.

You should get a more transparent box to throw in front.

I'm not very knowledgeable about all the different pedals, but something like the BB pre-amp might do the trick, though another UG-er might be off better help on this.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Marshalls, particularly the JCM series, are known for taking petals, particularly distortions, overdrives and fuzzes, quite well... So your problem is that you seem to want a smooth overdrive from a distortion petal. The issue definitely isn't the amp, but all amplifiers react differently to different petals. I'd recommend looking into various overdrives, particularly the Tubescreamers, anything by MXR or Boss, and possibly a Visual Sound Route 66... If you're into spending big bucks a Keeley-modded Boss or a boutique model of some kind might be your best bet...
well thats what i figured (first poster) but i have also heard that it doesnt like being boosted because it has a diode clipping circuit in front of the preamp tubes and boosting it doesnt actually push the tubes. so i am really not sure...
Try replacing your tubes/biasing your power amp tubes hotter, personally I have WAYYY too much gain in my JCM 900 (Could easily do shred with a small boost up front) but when I first got it, and the tubes were biased really cold, it sounded almost exactly like a JCM 800 without boost.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
Try replacing your tubes/biasing your power amp tubes hotter, personally I have WAYYY too much gain in my JCM 900 (Could easily do shred with a small boost up front) but when I first got it, and the tubes were biased really cold, it sounded almost exactly like a JCM 800 without boost.

excuse me if this is a stupid question but what does the bias of your power amp tubes have do to your preamp?
Quote by prsfan22
excuse me if this is a stupid question but what does the bias of your power amp tubes have do to your preamp?

Absolutely nothing I guess, but your signal still goes through your power tubes, does it not?

Also, if you're putting your boosts before your amp, put a jumper cable in your FX loop with nothing in there and FX mix on full, that's what I do and it boosts the preamp a little more, sounds alrighr.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
do you reckon a clean boost would be a good way to get more gain without messing up my tone?
Yes, or a transparent overdrive

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
on my 4100, I can get a awesome shred/metal tone with settings as follows..

bass:5 mid: 7 treb:7 1/2 presence: 8-9 .. lay off the gain just a little to keep it from getting muddy soo around 7is.. and add just a touch of reverb.. maybe 3 or 4..

thats just one heads settings though.. it could sound completely different.. Id say just really work with your settings before you jump to pushing pedals.. the 900's were made to mimic the modded 800s that all your shred heros played
Quote by attheian
on my 4100, I can get a awesome shred/metal tone with settings as follows..

bass:5 mid: 7 treb:7 1/2 presence: 8-9 .. lay off the gain just a little to keep it from getting muddy soo around 7is.. and add just a touch of reverb.. maybe 3 or 4..

thats just one heads settings though.. it could sound completely different.. Id say just really work with your settings before you jump to pushing pedals.. the 900's were made to mimic the modded 800s that all your shred heros played

the gain on channel B is on max and its far from enough. do you use active pickups by any chance cause that might be why your amp has more gain?
i would try one of the MXR Custom Audio pedals, i know that's what Slash has on his rig and well he seems to shred pretty well. The level might bring an issue cuz if you overload the circuit with too much level it gets kinda muddy and gross. I would also recommend getting a MXR 10-band EQ b/c it does have a gain slider on it and that might help.
Quote by prsfan22
the gain on channel B is on max and its far from enough. do you use active pickups by any chance cause that might be why your amp has more gain?

hmm.. I play a duncan invader and the stock pickups in my aria lp copy which are also passive..

Id look to the tubes. Do you have any idea how old they are or when the last time they were checked? It could just be them burning too cold.. or they could be shot all together..

I have vos teslas in my head and they sound better than any jj or EH ive played..