Hi,

im using an epiphone les paul standard 2008 model paid about £400/$700 and im using ik multimedia amplitube at mo, well basically i want to know if im wasting my time with the guitar and amplitube, caus blink 182 used a fender strat just 1 pick up seymoore duncan, dead basic, so will i have to get that guitar to get close to that? because with mine i just can get close and it gives off awfull humming/feedback on every heavy setting i try, how u supposed to lay a track down with that in background, i add the hum reducer but that changes the sound eventually, so i need a few pointers if anyones could offer any?
thanks!
Well Tom Delonge used to actually use a les paul at one point in time back in the old blink days. So, I don't think it is the wrong guitar for the job.

Thats weird that you're getting awful humming and feedback. What's your setup like?
stand further away from your computer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You can get a bridge Duncan Invader SH-8 for about $80. You still have to put up with that short scale length, though. Shouldn't affect the sound much, but it'll be harder to do bends. Most Tom DeLongs are hard tails, so lack of a whammy shouldn't be an issue. Might want to install a .022 capacitor if the Epi has .047 cap(s).

While you're in there, you might also want to lay down some copper shielding in the pickup route(s) and in the control cavity. Be sure to solder the individual pieces together, and to a ground wire.

You can also replace the input jack wiring with shielded, or at least twist them together.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by Jordan89R
Well Tom Delonge used to actually use a les paul at one point in time back in the old blink days. So, I don't think it is the wrong guitar for the job.

Thats weird that you're getting awful humming and feedback. What's your setup like?

Hi,

Did he i did not know that , the reason i got the guitar was because A) it looks nice and B) teh versatility of the sounds id be able to achieve with it compared to my old yamaha pacifica, (which wasnt that bad really) it is odd i dont know why im getting it on every heavy setting i try, you cant do anything with it if you put a noise gate on it goes, but so does the sound you just crafted, at the moment im using a line 6 kb37 interface and using podfarm, my daw is cubase 5, Do you reckon it could be the guitar or interface causing the problem, maybe i should change one of them.
cheers
Quote by powerbob247
Hi,

Did he i did not know that , the reason i got the guitar was because A) it looks nice and B) teh versatility of the sounds id be able to achieve with it compared to my old yamaha pacifica, (which wasnt that bad really) it is odd i dont know why im getting it on every heavy setting i try, you cant do anything with it if you put a noise gate on it goes, but so does the sound you just crafted, at the moment im using a line 6 kb37 interface and using podfarm, my daw is cubase 5, Do you reckon it could be the guitar or interface causing the problem, maybe i should change one of them.
cheers

That is weird and I really can only guess as to what the problem could be. I have actually used something similar in the past. It was a toneport ux2 and podfarm. I never had any feedback issues though. Maybe it could be something as simple as a bad cable. Try using a different quarter inch if you haven't already. If you have, maybe your guitar has a problem I'm not really sure. Try to rule everything out one by one I guess.
Try playing at differant angles/places away from the computer to avoid humming. Also i do believe there is an ex display tom delogne fender strat and a Tom Delonge gibson ES-335 out
Firstly, you're not going to get a Blink-182 tone through computer software and modelling pods, etc. The whole point of that kind of tone is that it's a mid-gain valve amp being driven naturally hard by a high-output pickup, something which digital technology can't replicate.

So the first thing is to get a mid-gain valve amp. There's a lot of them about and some are pretty cheap, especially if you don't need high wattage which it doesn't sound like you do.

The second thing is to consider if you want the guitar to permanently produce that sort of tone or if you'd like to switch back to a more mellow tone ever. If you want to change tones a lot, it is better to buy an overdrive pedal to boost your signal when you want it, rather than changing pickups which is a (basically) permanently change. On the other hand if you're confident that you want your bridge pickup to produce only that sort of overdriven pop-punk tone, changing the bridge pickup to something like a Seymour Duncan Distortion or Custom 5 would be a good idea.

Then it's just a question of setting it all up correctly; amp should have it's gain a little past the middle, mid and treble should be boosted a fair bit and bass should be left around the middle. You should get a pop-punk tone very easily, there's nothing complicated about it - that's the whole point of it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Here is a video I just recorded covering Adam's song, I believe I got a quite good tone! You guys can check out the gear used in the video description )

*removed*