Basically, I've been listening to a lot of Pete Seger, Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, and a lot of the other members of the 1960's folk revival, as well as rediscovering The Beatles, and as such I've been doing a lot of acoustic work and writing. I've noticed though that the strings on my acoustic are starting to sound dull and plain compared to the night I slapped them on.

So basically, compared to the electrics I've been using mainly up until now, do acoustic strings wear faster?

And if it makes a difference, it's a set of .12 Elixir Polyweb 80/20 strings with bronze wound strings, and the electric strings I'm comparing them with are .10 Elixir Nanowebs.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I dunno, but get a load of this...

My wife bought her MIK Fender accoustic in 2002. Didn't play it much, though. From 2006 - 2008 our daughter took lessons on it. The teacher (who has been teaching multiple instruments for well over 20 years and is also a professional musician) didn't really encourage us to change the strings, even though we had a spare set.

It had mostly gone unplayed for the last year +, but I finally changed them last weekend!

Sure, the old ones were practically black, and had probably been wearing the hell out of the frets. They were uncomfortable as hell, to play. But the new ones don't sound all that different.
Huh...well, that's at least comforting that it may have been mind-over-matter with the tone I was getting.

Quote by necrosis1193
Huh...well, that's at least comforting that it may have been mind-over-matter with the tone I was getting.

That's rather doubtful. Those Elixers aren't the greatest sounding strings. The polyweb coating makes them dull out of the box compared to other string sets. You also aren't really making a valid comparison there by comparing .012 polyweb acoustics to .010 nanoweb electrics. Of course the electrics are going to sound a bit brighter, they're a smaller gauge with a much much thinner coating, which equals less mass.

I like and prefer, in the Elixir line that is, the .012 nanoweb lights, phosphor/bronze makeup. They hold their tone just as long as the polywebs do, but have a better tone to my ears. You might also want to try a set of D'Addario EJ16's on it. They are uncoated, phosphor/bronze .012 gauge. They sound quite nice. Another quality set are the Martin SP's, also phos/bronze.
Quote by LeftyDave
That's rather doubtful. Those Elixers aren't the greatest sounding strings. The polyweb coating makes them dull out of the box compared to other string sets. You also aren't really making a valid comparison there by comparing .012 polyweb acoustics to .010 nanoweb electrics. Of course the electrics are going to sound a bit brighter, they're a smaller gauge with a much much thinner coating, which equals less mass.

I like and prefer, in the Elixir line that is, the .012 nanoweb lights, phosphor/bronze makeup. They hold their tone just as long as the polywebs do, but have a better tone to my ears. You might also want to try a set of D'Addario EJ16's on it. They are uncoated, phosphor/bronze .012 gauge. They sound quite nice. Another quality set are the Martin SP's, also phos/bronze.

Hmm...will take a look at some of those when I head to work tomorrow(I work at a local music shop), thanks for the suggestions.

Quote by LeftyDave

That's interesting, 'cause the new strings are coated Elixirs. That could explain it.

Guess that's what I get for buying strings made by the same folks who make extreme weather parka material (Gore). :-)
Quote by LeftyDave
You might also want to try a set of D'Addario EJ16's on it. They are uncoated, phosphor/bronze .012 gauge. They sound quite nice. Another quality set are the Martin SP's, also phos/bronze.

My favorite strings.

Other than that, if you're dead set on coated, I think D'Addario EXPs are the best sounding coated strings.

Quote by obeythepenguin
I'd say quite the opposite. My Strat sounds dull after a few months, but my 12-string set is over two years old -- and has the best tone I've ever heard. Plays just fine, too.

Yeah but you like the sound of worn out strings. You've said it on many occations. Besides, I can't imagine a Seagull EVER sounding dull.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Sep 17, 2009,
i think acoustic strings break-in faster than electric strings. so they won't sound tinny and new for too long, but they'll hold their tone for longer than a set of electric strings will. just wipe them down with a rag or polishing cloth every time you finish playing. won't keep them alive forever, but it's cheap and easy and helps a little bit!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Forgot to mention earlier, but the usual "string life" guides are

Uncoated: 2-6 weeks (though I wait longer because of lack of money)
Coated: 3+ months
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray