Hi, I am wondering if there is a method for working out scales on multiple strings, for example a C major scale starting on the E and ending on the e, I am slowly learning all the notes on the fret board but it can be slow going figuring out which note comes next in the scale as i move down the strings, is there a method to tell when to change strings? I understand WWHWWWH but is there a rule for how many steps per string eg. for the E 2 whole steps then move to the A string for a half step and a whole then to the D string etc..? I hope i have explained that so it's easy to understand the question but im not sure Cheers for the help
this is where learning the names of notes across the fretboard. as there are many ways you can play the same scale its about finding what is comfortable for you

if you find playing C - D - E acrosee the A string easier than playing C - D then moving up the string, thats your way of playing it
oh ok so there really isn't a certain way or method i should look at playing the notes just whatever i find works best for me thanks for the reply
I wanna check that i have this right if anyone can check over these i would appreciate it no end

Major Scales (WWHWWWH)

A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - A

B - C# - D# - E - F# - G# - A# - B

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C

D - E - F# - G - A - B - C# - D

E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D - E

F - G - A - A# - C - D - E - F

G - A - B - C - D - E - F# - G

Minor Scales (WHWWHWW)

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - A

B - C# - D - E - F# - G - A - B

C - D - D# - F - G - G# - A# - C

D - E - F - G - A - A# - C - D

E - F# - G - A - B - C - D - E

F - G - G# - A# - C - C# - D# - F

G - A - A# - C - D - D# - F - G
E Major has a D#

F has Bb which A# is enharmonic

but yeah you have it correct so far

Cm would also be written as
C - D - Eb - F - G - Ab - Bb - C

same with Dm

Fm
F - G - Ab - Bb - C - Db - Eb - F

Gm

G - A - Bb - C - D - Eb - F - G

now i changed those sharps cause basically its tidier to see it this way
so that all scales basically have
C - D - E - F - G - A - B
written in it but the notes are then sharpened or flattened
Learn to find intervals on the neck as well as learning where the notes are - that way if you'r next note is, for example, a major 2nd away from the current note, you can find it easily.
Usually 3 notes per string is the easiest and most linear scale pattern for major/natural minor scales. Try not to learn shapes though, try to learn the notes of the scale all over the fretboard so its easier when you improvise. I'm having the problem of playing linear runs all the time when I try to improvise because I only learned shapes and not so much the notes of the scale all over the fretboard.
I wouldn't say don't learn shapes - I'd say don't JUST learn shapes. Shapes are useful, but so are notes and intervals. Shapes in isolation can be limiting, but combine them with a knowledge of notes and intervals and you've suddenly got 3 different ways of looking at a scale, and finding your way around the neck, which shoudl give you 3 times as many ways of coming up with different licks/riffs too
Quote by _n8o_
I wanna check that i have this right if anyone can check over these i would appreciate it no end

Major Scales (WWHWWWH)

A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - A

B - C# - D# - E - F# - G# - A# - B

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C

D - E - F# - G - A - B - C# - D

E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D# - E

F - G - A - Bb - C - D - E - F

G - A - B - C - D - E - F# - G

Minor Scales (WHWWHWW)

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - A

B - C# - D - E - F# - G - A - B

C - D - Eb - F - G - Ab - Bb - C

D - E - F - G - A - Bb - C - D

E - F# - G - A - B - C - D - E

F - G - Ab - Bb - C - Db - Eb - F

G - A - Bb - C - D - Eb - F - G

Corrections in bold.

You don't get to choose whether you use sharps or flats. Major and minor scales are diatonic. That means they use each note name exactly once. You can't use an A# for a Bb even if they are enharmonic. They are functionally different, while sounding the same.
thanks for all the replies, i understand now when to write a flat instead of a sharp and visa versa the replies have been very helpful