ok so i have 600 dollars, I have a peavey vyper 30 but im playing in a band and i need a bigger amp ive been looking at the marshal MG100hdfx half stack, but ive heard bad and good about it, but idk what to get i really need help
we play stuff like hendrix, clapton and cream, metallica, dio, AC/DC, killswitch, slipnot, steve winwood, ozzy and sabbath, nirvana, and some other metal bands, i know i can get a metal pedal so that dont bother me i want a big amp preferebly a half stack solid or tube it just has to sound good PLEASE help me
I live in southern california near LA and i have a stagg tele
I must say goodbye because im gonna roam this mean ol highway till the day I die
gear
Fender stratocaster
stagg telecaster
peavey vyper 30
stagg acoustic
old classical nylon
Hell-Babe HB01
Blues Overdrive BO100
Last edited by southernboy3223 at Sep 16, 2009,
buying an MG half stack would earn you eternal disrespect from this forum. Generally accepted as terrible amps in combo form, they earn '****ing wank' status in half stack, it's like a penis extension for your gear. Make it a sensible purchase. I'd suggest a Blackstar HT5 or a used fender hot rod deluxe. each would have great natural tone, and respond well to using pedals with them. Keep looking through, and just because it has Marshall on it, doesn't mean it's good. not until you get high end does Marshall become really good.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Quote by Hdap101
buying an MG half stack would earn you eternal disrespect from this forum. Generally accepted as terrible amps in combo form, they earn '****ing wank' status in half stack, it's like a penis extension for your gear. Make it a sensible purchase. I'd suggest a Blackstar HT5 or a used fender hot rod deluxe. each would have great natural tone, and respond well to using pedals with them. Keep looking through, and just because it has Marshall on it, doesn't mean it's good. not until you get high end does Marshall become really good.

You're recommending a 5 watt amp to someone looking to buy for a band situation... right.
See if you can find a decent deal on a used Peavy Classic 30 (not sure what that is in USD but i've seen them for for 450 US?), then with the leftover money perhaps buy some GFS pickups for your staggs.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Get a Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 head. tube modelling amp. 100 watts. you can easily carry it to gigs and use your peavey 30 as a cab in the mean time.

it's only 450 dollars at the moment, so with the extra 150 you can either buy - a cheap cab, a wireless system, new pickups, SVpre mod for the amp (which makes it sound 135325 times better), or new tubes.
yea go for the valveking, but get the 50w one so u have extra money for pedals, pickups etc..
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by consecutive e
You're recommending a 5 watt amp to someone looking to buy for a band situation... right.

+ 1

I'd get a used 5150 212 combo.. It's plenty loud.
Quote by consecutive e
See if you can find a decent deal on a used Peavy Classic 30 (not sure what that is in USD but i've seen them for for 450 US?), then with the leftover money perhaps buy some GFS pickups for your staggs.

+1 on both points (5 watts for band practice gigging?)

+1 for Peavey Classic 30. For 600 you could get new.
Taxes would stretch it to like 650....But worth it..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by Hdap101
Buying an MG half stack would earn you eternal disrespect from this forum.

Oooooh! Sigged for great justice!
can you go used?

if yes, heres a few possiblities on your local CL:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/1376658290.html (+ an OD pedal)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/msg/1375465785.html (not a fan of these amps...but good for your budget)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/msg/1369900702.html (+ an OD pedal)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/1368327775.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/1367986021.html

if no, and you have to buy new:

look into Bugera (keep in mind their reliablity issues)
B-52 AT212 combo
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 16, 2009,
Can you go used?? If so really there are so many awesome versatile amps in that price range that are just killer. First off don't be fooled with a 600 dollar budget a good half stack is mostly not going to happen, a Peavey Windser is the only one I can think of and for what you get its a good value, but the overall setup is just plain medicore at best. A 30-100 tube combo ethier 112-212 will offer more than enough volume for any musican, and really with your budget thats what you should be looking for. If you can go used, look into the these: all of which are available in combo form and completly distroy the Windsor.
Peavey Triple X
Peavey Classic 50
Peavey Ultra
Peavey 6505/5150
Mesa Boogie Daul Caliber
Mesa F Series
Mesa Nomads
Marshall DSL/TSL

If used is not an option the Peavey C30 is hard to beat, if you need more gain the B-52 AT is not a bad amp and is pretty good for what you get, also the Peavey 6505+ 112 is coming out soon and will be at that price point as well if your need the brutals.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6